• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Texting on Motorcycle Fatal

Be careful. Studies show that even hands free use of cell phone in a car is a major distraction to a driver. Notice that if you are behind a car that is inconsistent in speed and overall driving slow, when you pass you nearly always see the driver on a cell phone. Anecdotal evidence that driver on phone loses awareness of event the speed they are going. The human mind does not multitask as well as most think they can.

I have yelled at people f'ing with their phones. YOU ARE GOING TO KILL SOMEBODY!!!! The idiots are everywhere. Cellular providers need to shut down moving cell use,period. Worse than driving drunk, even hands free. We are all paying a price with the insurance rates being generated by stupidity. Let me step off my soapbox now..... Hope the subject of the post was an organ donor...... Ok, now I'll step down.

Saw a sign when I was in IL recently... had a image of a motorcycle and the words "Look twice, save a life."
Told my wife that I found that sign kind of offensive... I don't need cagers to "save my life" I need them to not put it in danger in the first place... "Look twice. Don't commit vehicular homicide" would be more accurate... but apparently NOT hitting some one with your car is saving their life (I didn't hit several people on my way to work today, saved so many lives I should be a Saint!)

We are just way too accepting of the death toll caused by traffic "accidents" (hard to call it a traffic "intentional" when they didn't mean to do it, they just didn't take any course of action that would have prevented it, like looking up from their phone and focusing on the task at hand, moving from one location to another)

Be careful. Studies show that even hands free use of cell phone in a car is a major distraction to a driver.

'Studies' show the same thing with respect to tuning (changing the station on) the radio, having a live conversation with another person in the car, and rather an array of things. You are absolutely correct that we cannot multitask.

We do NOT need more laws & rules. Every state I know of, which admittedly is certainly not all of them, already had rules against distracted or negligent driving. We didn't need another law to say the same thing, but only against one very specific distraction item.

I believe there is reason for hope, my daughter! She is the reason I have totally stopped messing with my phone while driving. She would pester me non-stop for looking at my phone while driving. The message is getting out and people are listening.

At least no one else had to pay with their life due to his asinine behavior. Who doesn't know texting kills while driving/riding? No, this guy got what was coming to him, cause you know this wasn't the first time he did it on the bike, and I can pretty much guarantee he did the same thing in his car/truck. Like I said, at least no one else had to pay...

Comes down to he was a f@#$ing dumbass.

texting on a bike? how is that even possible...

but he died because not wearing helmet not texting.

texting on a bike? how is that even possible...

but he died because not wearing helmet not texting.

He died because he crashed.
He crashed because he lost control of the motorcycle.
He lost control because he was distracted by texting.

Wearing a helmet would not have guaranteed the crash would have been survivable.

He died because he crashed.
He crashed because he lost control of the motorcycle.
He lost control because he was distracted by texting.

Wearing a helmet would not have guaranteed the crash would have been survivable.

I crashed many times and didn't die :)
I lost control off road many times and I was not distracted :)

Of course wearing a helmet greatly improves the odds of surviving a crash, but many people die in crashes even when wearing a helmet. Without knowing details of his injuries we do not know if a helmet would have saved him.

I believe there is reason for hope, my daughter! She is the reason I have totally stopped messing with my phone while driving. She would pester me non-stop for looking at my phone while driving. The message is getting out and people are listening.

I disagree.
I see it every day, all over the place.

Yes. I noticed you've shown your motorcycle on it's side an inordinate number of times. ;)

Maybe it is because I'm an old man but I just can't understand why riders travel interstates without a helmet. Nothing can ensure you'll survive a wreck when travelling at speeds of 70MPH but one thing is certain. If I wear any protective gear when riding on the interstate it will be a helmet. I rarely wear a helmet when riding in my small town. Max speed limit is 30MPH. I'll admit to that but I will not ride the interstate without a helmet. Just don't understand. I can't imagine how the family feels and if it happened to someone in my family I would likely not talk about it because it is pure stupidity. Having said that, I've done plenty of stupid stuff over the years.

Maybe it is because I'm an old man but I just can't understand why riders travel interstates without a helmet. Nothing can ensure you'll survive a wreck when travelling at speeds of 70MPH but one thing is certain. If I wear any protective gear when riding on the interstate it will be a helmet. I rarely wear a helmet when riding in my small town. Max speed limit is 30MPH. I'll admit to that but I will not ride the interstate without a helmet. Just don't understand. I can't imagine how the family feels and if it happened to someone in my family I would likely not talk about it because it is pure stupidity. Having said that, I've done plenty of stupid stuff over the years.

Well I must be a really old man because I can't understand why someone would not wear a helmet ALL the time they ride. We all have our own risk tolerance levels. I won't even ride a 50cc scooter without full gear.

What I do is envision running as fast as I can across a parking lot and then diving onto the pavement just wearing jeans and a t shirt, no helmet. I picture that's probably gonna hurt really bad. And that would be a fall at only about 15 mph. So riding around town is plenty dangerous without a helmet and gear, plus the chance of colliisions or interference with other vehicles is greater than on the highway.

Last edited:
Well I must be a really old man because I can't understand why someone would not wear a helmet ALL the time they ride. We all have our own risk tolerance levels. I won't even rude a 50cc scooter without full gear.

What I do is envision running as fast as I can across a parking lot and then diving onto the pavement just wearing jeans and a t shirt, no helmet. I picture that's probably gonna hurt really bad. And that would be a fall at only about 15 mph. So riding around town is plenty dangerous without a helmet and gear, plus the chance of colliisions or interference with other vehicles is greater than on the highway.

I don't disagree with anything you said and I wouldn't begin to suggest that you're safe just because you're in a small town at a low speed. Like you said, it's a chance I take. They say you're more likely to have an accident close to your home so who knows my next wreck may be in town. I'm sure this fellow conducted his own risk assessment and determined he was safe without a helmet and texting. Who knows what goes through anyone's mind.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Well I must be a really old man because I can't understand why someone would not wear a helmet ALL the time they ride. We all have our own risk tolerance levels. I won't even rude a 50cc scooter without full gear.

15 mph is pretty quick for a "really old man" ;)

I ride with a helmet all the time (how else could I text with the bluetooth?)

I wear a helmet in town because people traveling slow in a place with lots of options to turn, bolt out of intersections, or generally do something stupid.
On the highway they are at least all traveling in the same direction, and are unlikely to make sudden turns... but they are moving at 70mph, and I can feel a june bug through the helmet when it hits at 70mph.... So I wear a helmet on the highways.

Back