• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tail light addition and turn signal replacement

jggassert

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright so I ordered some Feniex Cobra T3's. 2x red and 2x amber. These are designed as surface mounted emergency lights but have a brake and turn signal mode. They are extremely reliable and are used by police/fire/EMS all over the place. Best part is that they are only $29.00/ea.

I will be mounting these on the rear of my Tusk Panniers. I will be disconnecting/eliminating the OEM turn signals and leaving the brake/license plate light as a third brake light and to illuminate my license plate until I get a top case.

Does anyone know of a good all weather quick disconnect that I can use in the event that I want to remove the panniers when I stop at a campsite or hotel? I won't be riding without them so I'm not worried about removing the factor signals.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454869782.306536.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454869892.181589.jpg

"The best medicine in a fight is fire superiority"

On one of my bikes I just use a male/female round plastic coated wire plug. You could use the same type connector used to plug a trailer into the towing vehicle, small flat 4 wire and I believe they come in 3 wire mode. Every once in a while I just spray a little electrical cleaner to keep any corrosion out.

I always use those connectors
http://www.e b a y.com/itm/2-Way-Waterproof-Weather-Proof-Sealed-Electrical-Connector-KIT-12V-24V-DC-/180734625987?hash=item2a149f88c3:m:mGzmkz02DwGdyWYCKV6cCTg
They are quite reliable and have 2 to 8 pins in one plug. Usually comes in pairs male/female
Superseal_4way.jpg

Current rating: 14A max. (per way)
Voltage rating: 24V DC max.
Ingress Protection (IP) rating: IP67 (dust-tight and resists immersion in 1m depth of water for 30 mins)
Operating temperature range: -40°C to 125°C
Cable size: 0.5 - 1.5mm2

I guess that you are aware that you need either a solid state flasher or a 6 ohm 25 watt resistor for each bulb that you replace with an LED?

Otherwise, no flashy.

Flashers are built into the modules.

SAE J595 Certified
Input voltage 12VDC
3, 4 watt LEDs in each module head
California Title 13 Certified
Temperature range up to 149 degrees Fahrenheit
13+ patterns including brake mode, tail mode, turn signal and steady on

Last edited:
I guess that you are aware that you need either a solid state flasher or a 6 ohm 25 watt resistor for each bulb that you replace with an LED?

Otherwise, no flashy.

Never installed these on a bike like this but on other emergency vehicles and POV's.
Tie them into power Program the red ones to brake light mode and then cut the programming cable. Same with amber once tied into turn signal power, program to turn signal mode and then cut programming cable.

I'm just going to have a shop do the install because they do custom fabrication to clean up the tail at the same time.

Looks like a great project please post pics of the finished product

Never installed these on a bike like this but on other emergency vehicles and POV's.
Tie them into power Program the red ones to brake light mode and then cut the programming cable. Same with amber once tied into turn signal power, program to turn signal mode and then cut programming cable.

I'm just going to have a shop do the install because they do custom fabrication to clean up the tail at the same time.

You can't program the turn signals like that. There is no turn signal mode. In addition to the flash patterns, they offer brake, tail, and steady on modes. Brake mode does a few flashes and goes steady. Tail mode is half brilliance. To use them as turn signals, you use the "steady on" mode and the bike's turn signal flasher provides the flash. You can't use a programmed flash with the turn signal, because the power from the turn signal is intermittent. If you wire them in "steady on" mode for proper use as turn signals, you will find that they do not draw enough current to properly operate the turn signal flasher. In order for the turn signal flasher to work with LED lights, you need to either boost the current back up to the original level through a parallel resistor, or you need a solid state flasher whose flash rate is not influenced by the current draw. Both are easily done. There is some information on it in this thread...

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/635-extreme-farkling-flat-luggage-rack-2.html?highlight=turn+signal

In post #13 of the linked thread, the gold cylindrical items on each side of the license plate light are 6 ohm 50 watt resistors. I chose this over a solid state flasher because saving power is not very important on something that runs as little as the turn signals do.

Last edited:
Back