• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sprocket Cover Mod (no shift lever removal)

Lou Wambsganss

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I kind of forgot that I had even done this mod until I was reminded by another thread. This was probably this first mod I did to my NC when I got it last year. I guess my robot lizard brain has no room for sentimental value.

After I had to remove the shift lever to get the sprocket cover off the first time, I knew I wanted to find a way to avoid that in the future. I trimmed a notch out of the sprocket cover plastic so that it can pass over the shift lever during removal and replacement. Now there is no concern about making sure that the shift lever is on the exact right spline every time, since it doesn't even come off.

The chain cage (or whatever you call the steel strap inside the cover) is completely untouched and still functions as designed. The area of the cover that encases the chain and sprocket is untouched, to there is no additional spread of dirt or debris from the chain.

The shift shaft and it's associated seal is exposed to the elements anyway, so I don't think this mod should have much affect on seal longevity, if any.

20140422_205306.jpg

20140422_230930.jpg

Interesting, Lou! :cool:

I've been thinking of splitting up the bodywork panels on my bike in strategic places and/or along some seams, and adding in a few Dzus quick release fasteners, to make removal not such a chore. Especially when out on the trail.

I'm sure it would create all manner of new squeaks and rattles, and potentially cause some teething grief getting it to work as envisioned, but for me personally I'm really tempted.

Thank you Lou,looks like a good mod also,thanks all for replys,I knew to ask here first before digging in to it.

Finally got around to taking the cover off,wasn't that bad no parts fell out lol.sprocket looks great.did a little house cleaning and button it back up.didn't take cover all the way off,but next time I will and going to cut a small slit in cover so the shift lever only comes off once.something like Lou did but not as much.

Just got around to removing the sprocket cover (purchased my 2012 back in October this year....2017). What were Honda engineers thinking??? Having to remove the shifter arm first.......gimme a break. As this old thread suggest, I'm going to cut a slit in the plastic to get the cover off w/o removing the shifter. I have a fancy-nancy Chinese see-thru cover to install in the plastic cover's place anyway. Pics will come upon completion.
mark444

Last edited by a moderator:
Back