• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Chain and Sprocket Replacement

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I need to replace my chain. I have decided to replace the front and rear sprocket as well. I have never done this before and will be following the shop manual. However, I am a visual learner. I am wondering if anyone has come across a video that follows the essence of the steps outlined in the shop manual. If so, could you share the link please?

I don’t know how may miles your bike has but I first changed the rear sprocket at around 50 or 60,000 miles. Held up against a new sprocket, I could hardly detect any wear on the old one.

One thing I question is Honda’s torque spec for the rear sprocket nuts. Honda’s spec seems way too high for the bolt size and for the application. If I remember right they spec’d it even higher than the rear axle nut. I took it upon myself to use a lower torque for the sprocket nuts based on the bolt size.

I can’t stand to watch most amateur videos, as you might know, so I can’t be of help there.

I need to replace my chain. I have decided to replace the front and rear sprocket as well. I have never done this before and will be following the shop manual. However, I am a visual learner. I am wondering if anyone has come across a video that follows the essence of the steps outlined in the shop manual. If so, could you share the link please?
When are you planning to do this?

I don’t know how may miles your bike has but I first changed the rear sprocket at around 50 or 60,000 miles. Held up against a new sprocket, I could hardly detect any wear on the old one.

One thing I question is Honda’s torque spec for the rear sprocket nuts. Honda’s spec seems way too high for the bolt size and for the application. If I remember right they spec’d it even higher than the rear axle nut. I took it upon myself to use a lower torque for the sprocket nuts based on the bolt size.

I can’t stand to watch most amateur videos, as you might know, so I can’t be of help there.
The rear sprocket does not need replacement as far as I can tell. It is something I want to do to learn and also tidy up the bike to my standards. I enjoy wrenching.

Forgot to say thank you for the advice on the torque recommendation!

The rear sprocket does not need replacement as far as I can tell. It is something I want to do to learn and also tidy up the bike to my standards. I enjoy wrenching.
The chain and front sprocket can be replaced without removing the rear wheel. Since the rear sprocket replacement requires removing the rear wheel, I would perform that service at the same time as a rear tire replacement.

While I do absolutely all my service work because I know how and I don’t trust anyone else, I’d still prefer to do as little of it as possible.

I was able to get this done today. Thanks to everyone for their guidance and to @dduelin for being so generous in his offer to help me out with the project in person! When I purchased the bike, the chain was seemingly new and the sprocket was in good shape. I've put on about 4K miles on the chain and it was already pretty stretched out and was showing a little more sprocket than I liked. Anyhow, I used the existing installation of the driven sprocket as a reference for the installation, which it turns out was installed face-side-in. The hub side of the driven sprocket is smooth and does not have the teeth count stamped. The swing arm side of the sprocket is flared and has the tooth count stamped. I did not know this before I started the project, installed it in reverse, and had to take the rear tire off a second time to fix what I screwed up. Anyhow, for the other learn-as-you-goers, here is the pic of how the driven sprocket should look with the flange and stamp highlighted. My understanding is the reversed sprocket may be what caused this chain to fail so quickly. Thanks to all of the great people who contribute here on the forum.

IMG_2526.JPEG

Last edited:
Did you follow the torque specs for the front and rear sprockets in the shop manual?

Back