• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sprocket change?

Yyou will also change the steering geometry. Reducing the wheel size will lessen the trail, giving you theoretically an easier turn-in, but less stability. I imagine somehow it would affect the rear suspension as sell.
Since both the front and rear will go down, the steering geometry won't change much.
Just not sure about fooling the ECM that everything is per programmed tolerances.
If the ABS or the traction control throws fits, all bets are off.
The biggest challenge so far is to source new rims without spending all of my X-mas money.
Anyway, this is a long term project.

What tires are you looking at? Seems like some of my faves are in 18 anyway (Mitas E-07 ferinstance). If you have good choices you don't need more choices, right? ; }

Since both the front and rear will go down, the steering geometry won't change much.
Just not sure about fooling the ECM that everything is per programmed tolerances.
The biggest challenge so far is to source new rims without spending all of my X-mas money.
I was all hot and bothered during the run up to the AT release but as I have stated before the off-road bias of the AT cooled my lust. 99% of my riding is paved and the little offroad I'm willing to do anymore is relatively hard unpaved stuff like gravel and graded dirt or limestone. The long travel soft suspension and tubed 21 and 18" wheels are a compromise I'd have to live with all the time and rarely get the benefit of. A 19 and 17 set of wheels on an AT I think I could get on with as I could use good street rubber and still handle the little offroad I do. I'm very interested in this exercise DCTFAN.

I have to stop right here and chuckle.

Here we have a thread about turning a dirt bike (AT) into a street bike, while over yonder we have a thread about turning a street bike (NC) into a dirt bike! We had threads about upsizing the NC front wheel, and we have a thread about downsizing the AT front wheel. It seems we're never happy unless we tinker, but that's half the fun of owning a motorcycle. Perhaps the reason Honda has never built the perfect motorcycle is that such a thing could never exist. Ah well, carry on, gents!

Here we have a thread about turning a dirt bike (AT) into a street bike, while over yonder we have a thread about turning a street bike (NC) into a dirt bike! We had threads about upsizing the NC front wheel, and we have a thread about downsizing the AT front wheel. It seems we're never happy unless we tinker, but that's half the fun of owning a motorcycle. Perhaps the reason Honda has never built the perfect motorcycle is that such a thing could never exist. Ah well, carry on, gents!

Making the perfect reasoning (argument) for having multiple bikes in the garage !

Don't forget there is the VFR1200x DTC which throws shaft drive in the compromising mix. Plus it's has tubeless tires !!!! And they are already the right size. :cool:

Last edited:
The ABS could be fixable by changing the slotted ring. It works with a proximity switch seeing the holes in the ring. It expects a certain ratio of pulses between front and rear. Changing the ring with one having different number of slots in the circumference could keep the ratio correct front to rear. Would probable have to get a custom ring fabricated. There is of course some leeway in the design as people putting different size tires on with different circumference have been OK, but how much variability is OK is unknown.

I was all hot and bothered during the run up to the AT release but as I have stated before the off-road bias of the AT cooled my lust. 99% of my riding is paved and the little offroad I'm willing to do anymore is relatively hard unpaved stuff like gravel and graded dirt or limestone. The long travel soft suspension and tubed 21 and 18" wheels are a compromise I'd have to live with all the time and rarely get the benefit of. A 19 and 17 set of wheels on an AT I think I could get on with as I could use good street rubber and still handle the little offroad I do. I'm very interested in this exercise DCTFAN.
Totally agree

I think you are onto something there. Did you work for Honda?
Uncanny, if it were true.
But as for my project, if I can have a 2nd set of wheels that works with the DCT,
I am closer to bike 'nirvana' and may not need anything more. (for the foreseeable future, at least):D

Making the perfect reasoning (argument) for having multiple bikes in the garage !

Don't forget there is the VFR1200x DTC which throws shaft drive in the compromising mix. Plus it's has tubeless tires !!!! And they are already the right size. :cool:
Almost exactly the reason I am trying to change the wheels on the ATwin.
If done right, end up with a VFR1200X in Dakar Rally Red, for my touring days.:rolleyes:

AH!!! An all day search...finally. Winner Winner chicken dinner! 15t steel sprocket ordered!

Hey guys I'm reviewing this post and I have a question about the sprocket change:
the speedometer now shows incorrect speed and the odometer will progressively start being slightly off. Those are issues I can deal with, I don't really care since I'll ride this bike until it literally falls apart... The only thing I want to make sure is that the discrepancy between the speedometer and actual speed won't affect the engine timing. I believe it wouldn't since it's based on actual engine RPM and that is not affected by the sprockets ratio, but I want to make sure.
Anybody?

Hey guys I'm reviewing this post and I have a question about the sprocket change:
the speedometer now shows incorrect speed and the odometer will progressively start being slightly off. Those are issues I can deal with, I don't really care since I'll ride this bike until it literally falls apart... The only thing I want to make sure is that the discrepancy between the speedometer and actual speed won't affect the engine timing. I believe it wouldn't since it's based on actual engine RPM and that is not affected by the sprockets ratio, but I want to make sure.
Anybody?
Sprocket change won't affect anything in those regards except for speedometer....as long as yours is manual model. Can't change sprockets on the DCT model.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back