• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sprocket change?

Can't tell if you are being serious one way or the other with the "roll eyes" smiley additions, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the lugging at 3,000 rpm in 6th gear.

Since my NC feels awesome at 2,600-2,800 rpm in 6th, and it is not lugging, I would welcome a lowering of rpm from 3k at highway speed. Conversely, I would be every bit as happy at 3,300 rpm in 6th, if I was still only doing 100-110 ish kph.

Was being a little less than serious...........as some have theorized that too low of rpm in 6th made the this vibration more noticeable that may or may not be true. But certain a taller gearing will not to make it better thats where the sargassum comes in. The vibration to me, is not concern. I think 6th gear roll on would suffer and not be a good compromise...........but as others have stated above it is a personal preference. But since no one has tried it and not sure it is even possible ( parts, clearance, and other concerns ) this just a theory.

Last edited:
On the subject of gearing, I have normally found that if I am happy with its power characteristics in first gear, then I am happy with it overall. I accept whatever top end or acceleration compromises this presents. It is easy with sprockets to try it and see, though like anything, it needs to be done properly with attention to the details. With my R1150R the choices were either to replace the final drive with one from an R850 or replace the transmission with one from an R1150GS Adventure. As Drifter pointed out, we all have different needs and I don't suggest that my rationale works for anyone else, but my criteria is to be able to clean slow slightly rough uphill passages without slipping the clutch in first gear with a loaded bike. I find this important when searching out stealth campsites or negotiating really bad "tear it down to the roadbed" construction. It is easier in stop and go traffic as well, and I think, easier on the bike mechanicals overall.

Whether changes are needed by my criteria depends on how well the OEM has picked the first gear and overall ratios, but usually it results in a bike that is geared a bit lower than stock. With the NC700 I haven't yet noticed a need to drop the ratio. I think it is either because the engine is so tractable down low, or because I haven't gone stealth camping with it yet.

yep, and make it accelerate quicker around town too which is never a bad thing. I'm looking forward to changing mine.......

going +1 on the front will give you the opposite result. You would want to go -1 on the front or +(2 or 3) on the rear to get better acceleration around town.

I am always interested in Lowering the gearing on bikes,I much prefer lower reving engines,but I feel this bike does not really need to go much lower(if any lower) .I have a GO CRUISE and today used it on the Motorway (freeway) and the bike did not hold speed when going up hill,it did not require changing down ,,but theirs not enough torque to hold speed.In my mind that indicates the gearing is about right....

i just love shocks with adjusters, and these are easy to revalve, i have ohlins on my xr650l front and rear they work really good. is the new shock the same eye to eye length?? this is my xr650l.

191E96E8-CE05-4D76-B86B-A45F88C11601-1061-000002E63F88E328.jpg

A022745E-7C36-4A10-8939-3CDC36EC1B72-1061-000002E605FFF292.jpg

Last edited:
I am bringing this thread back from the graveyard...

Has anyone gone UP in gearing? (less RPM's while cruising) and if so, what's your opinion? (MPG's wise, rideability wise, etc?)

I have been looking into this as well with adding +1 tooth on the front countershaft sprocket so I can cruise at a slightly higher speed and lower the RPM. I did this on my Bonnie going from the OEM 18 teeth to 19 teeth.

Finding a 17 tooth front sprocket is relatively easy. My concern is of the possible offset and then chain not running straight. Since every front sprocket I ran into has the exact same spline design where it connects we should be able to find a solution. I may just need to research what bikes have 17 teeth from sprockets available. It would be best to research based on sportbikes since there are a lot of aftermarket options available.

I'm PRETTY sure that you can get a 17 teeth front sprocket for a D675 in a 520 pitch. I may give that a try.

WIth regards to the speedo, you can use a Speedo Healer to make it accurate again. I know when I had my D675 and I changed the gearing that I was able to make the speedo accurate again by entering certain numbers based on a formula into the ECU by using the freeware program TuneECU via a laptop using an OBDII to usb cable. Once I did that I verified it using a GPS and it was pretty spot on.

What is really deserves is replacement!

View attachment 2237

OMG YES!!!!

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THIS POST!!!

Sofia and I were thinking about doing a mod using an OEM gixxer rear shock. Turns out it wouldn't work.

Seeing this, Sofia actually has that Ohlins shock that she bought a couple years ago for her SV650. It turns out that shock is the exact same one used!!! Thank goodness we didn't sell it at the Motorcycle Swap meet yesterday!!!

I am bringing this thread back from the graveyard...

Has anyone gone UP in gearing? (less RPM's while cruising) and if so, what's your opinion? (MPG's wise, rideability wise, etc?)

Honda did. The DCT model has 39 teeth on the rear sprocket, vs 43 on the X. The primary and secondary is different too.

1st and 2nd gear have higher ratios on the X, but 3-6 are identical with 6th being .837 overdrive. Page 131 in the owners manual.

My calculations show the DCT going 1MPH slower in 6th gear at 3000 RPM.

Every comparison I have seen shows the DCT getting worse mileage.

ratios.jpg

ratios2.jpg

Last edited:
I think the current gearing is a good compromise............if I were to make a change I might consider one tooth less on the front (especially if I was intending to ADV ride off paved road more ) for a lower 1st gear because stock gearing 6th is already a very tall gear compared to many other Hondas. The stock gearing NC rpm at 60MPH is lower than a ST1300.....I now start looking for 6th gear on the ST:eek::eek::eek:

Here at Spain there are several people with DCT models going down in gearing by using the non-DCT rear sprocket and they are quite happy with the results

As I previously posted "I am quite satisfied with the gearing",,,,but would love to know how the X would handle the gearing from the DCT rear sprocket...I think it would be acceptable,maybe you may have to change down on hills and that type of thing.... but overall it would cope..

BTW the DCT getting worse fuel efficiency can be attributed to a WHOLE other things than just lower gearing; inefficient shift points, frictional losses, excessive clutch slip, etc etc etc. Can't compare the two bikes AT ALL

The beast - standard shift will always get better mileage than auto shift.

Nature of the beast - folks like auto shift transmission better than standard shift.

If there was someway to get better gas millage out of the auto, I bet some smart engineer would have done it by now!

I think the current gearing is a good compromise............if I were to make a change I might consider one tooth less on the front (especially if I was intending to ADV ride off paved road more ) for a lower 1st gear because stock gearing 6th is already a very tall gear compared to many other Hondas. The stock gearing NC rpm at 60MPH is lower than a ST1300.....I now start looking for 6th gear on the ST:eek::eek::eek:

Agreed. While I'd love a hair more torque on the low end, I doubt I'd make through an intersection before either going to 2nd or getting slapped by the rev limiter. Likewise, I can't imagine lowering the rpm's at highway speeds! Having been on high rpm bikes most my life I find myself going back to 5th when I drop into 6th gear even at 55-60 mph. I know the bike will chug along... it's just going to take some getting used to.

Back