• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So what did you do TO your NC700 today.

Should this thread be made a Sticky?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • No.

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Went for my virgin touring ride ride north to Thailand border....the mileage is 850km one way.
Tried max odo speed around 160-170km/h.
I have the Honda tall screen installed with barkbuster handguards.
For me the conform zone would be around 120 max...higher than this, the handle and wind noise will get uncomfortable.
My average speed based on actual distance travelled and time came out to be around 120km/h although the odo showed
130~140 plus most of the time.
The fuel consumption is around 25km/l at this speed.... i top up every 250km and put in around 10L each time.
On the return trip, i got used to the noise (with ear piece on) and travelled at 130~140 more.
Will be thinking of how to increase the screen height next...

I installed them [wind deflectors] both (upper and lower) yesterday. Is that worth it ? Maybe some will say yes, some will say no. As for myself, I'd say yes, just because they look cool once installed on my black NCX, but maybe that single aesthetical benifit is not worth the price tag. I will probably build DIY acrylic deflectors myself once I receive my engine guard. I'm sure I haven't helped at all in your decision !! Again, YMMV.
Actually, your review and photo are very helpful. I appreciate how honest you were about the results.

Thanks for expounding on your ride of particular interest to me was the wind protection . Fresh in my mind is my Trans America Trail return trip via highway, from Port Orford OR. to Dallas on my XR650L with a smallish wind shield. I was worn out for days, the bike itself not a big factor(RPM ,seat,buzz) !
Good feedback on the fuel mileage and gauge, I’m anxious to burn a full tank at a fairly quick pace, and see how she does also.
I, along with my three older brothers got the long distance bug watching Easy Rider, finally making my first cross country trip on my 1981 750 Honda. Three years later at a dealership we used to frequent in Montgomeryville PA, the first Iron Butt rally was held, though I didn’t ride ,I felt a camaraderie in the endurance community. Through the years, and the bikes, I’ve never owned one better for this type of riding than the ST ! It’s taken me to all the contiguous states multiple times, 1000 & 1500 miles inside of 24 hours, 3000 miles in 3 days 5000 in 5 etc., etc., my quandary is, I know there will be a longing for a long haul, but it doesn’t burn like it used to, so will the NC700X be a suitable on occasion ? I think that it will!
I have that other man problem of having too many bike laying around also ! I think the XR650L will become a Christmas present for my son so hopefully he can experience the transamtrail.com also ,The ST I’ll sell when I find the guy with the LD fire inside . Let er’ go and on to another chapter !

Dropped her for the first time. Couple of scuffs on the muffler and bent mirror. Wallet is now $59.81USD lighter after ordering a new mirror.

Ack. Sorry buddy!

Sounds like a not too bad of an outcome though! I was always terrified at the thought of dropping my BMW. Sure, it would have likely only cost me my deductable ($500.00) to replace the thousands of dollars even a minor spill would cause, but to me, 500 bucks represents a damned high amount, still!

As with almost all of my other bikes, I have a completely different attitude with the NCX. It's *NOT* that I don't care, or see the 700 in any way as a bike not worthy of caring about or not taking great care of, but I can enjoy riding the darned thing, spills and tumbles included, without that specter of $$$$$ hanging like a hungry vulture overhead.

I skittered around on a muddy, very poor tractioned goat trail the other day, almost binning it every couple yards or so, and was grinning like an idiot in my helmet I was having so much fun.

I’m a klutz so I was surprised I made it this long before dropping it. It was surprisingly easy to right. NOt near as hard as I remember my Hawk. Then I had to figure out how to swing my left leg over the seat since I was on the right side of the bike.

Ack. Sorry buddy!

As with almost all of my other bikes, I have a completely different attitude with the NCX. It's *NOT* that I don't care, or see the 700 in any way as a bike not worthy of caring about or not taking great care of, but I can enjoy riding the darned thing, spills and tumbles included, without that specter of $$$$$ hanging like a hungry vulture overhead.

I skittered around on a muddy, very poor tractioned goat trail the other day, almost binning it every couple yards or so, and was grinning like an idiot in my helmet I was having so much fun.

That is a reason I bought the bike. Low cost so I didn’t have to worry about every ding, dent, and drop as she is a daily rider and not a garage queen.

I’m a klutz so I was surprised I made it this long before dropping it. It was surprisingly easy to right. NOt near as hard as I remember my Hawk. Then I had to figure out how to swing my left leg over the seat since I was on the right side of the bike.

That is a reason I bought the bike. Low cost so I didn’t have to worry about every ding, dent, and drop as she is a daily rider and not a garage queen.

I've been meaning mention for a while now, that after my XR's and XL's, my first real "street" bike, was a 1980 Honda CB400T Hawk. I also had a 1982 CB450T Hawk a little bit later as a second hand purchased machine in 1986-ish, to go racing with at the local track. :D

Installed my Calsci (sport) windshield today.

But I have a question. Has anyone with a Calsci had any problems with handlebar clearance? When my handlebar is in the far left position (i.e. when locking the fork), the throttle cables hit the edge of the windshield. Enough the the windshield moves approx. 1/4 inch. This also would be an issue when doing any slow, tight maneuvering like parking and such.

But on the good side, the new windshield greatly reduces wind noise on my flip-up helmet.

Fitted the Honda heated grips, a CTEK Comfort Connect Eyelet (it shows the current condition of the battery and allows me to put the bike on the smart charger if it's off the road for a while), a set of KTM handguards and put a speaker extension cable from my iphone holder to the front of the seat so I can plug in my earphones.

Also fitted a Tutoro chain oiler, that only took 15 minutes the rest took nearly eight hours

The worst bit was trying to get the front section plastic bodywork back on, broke a couple of the moulded in clips, wasn't a happy bunny!

I also have one bolt left over, not sure where that was meant to be!!

The worst bit was trying to get the front section plastic bodywork back on, broke a couple of the moulded in clips, wasn't a happy bunny!

I also have one bolt left over, not sure where that was meant to be!!

We all know that feeling Dave, well maybe not Lee, I think a beam of light shines down to show him a dropped bolt (just teasing Lee). I went yesterday to get my 600 mile service done, I wanted to discuss a few things with the dealer anyway. shortly after I left the dealer I saw this on my dash.IMG_20121101_122025.jpg
"On a highway to He#l"

Didn't get to ride today, it was my Dads birthday so it was his day out with a awesome lunch at Joe Cracker's and a shopping trip for a "what the heck do you want?" day, no one ever knows what to get the guy, he never wants anything but to sit on the water and fish (the weekend plan by the way).

Installed my Calsci (sport) windshield today.

Has anyone with a Calsci had any problems with handlebar clearance? When my handlebar is in the far left position (i.e. when locking the fork), the throttle cables hit the edge of the windshield........
But on the good side, the new windshield greatly reduces wind noise on my flip-up helmet.

I also installed the CALSCI sport and have the exact same clearance issue on the right side only. Rotating my RH throttle/brake assembly upward, will only increase the interference. I noticed that my upper cable "90 degree tube" assembly was not bent to the full 90 degree angle, similar to the lower one- so it sticks out further. Also, the CAL SCI edges at that inset portion of the screen were extremely rough (not sanded and smoothed like the upper portion) so, whenever my bar was turned to the left the windscreen started to dig into and rip the throttle cable sheath adjacent to the adjustment assy. I expect some-day to remove all cowlings and remove the upper tube from the throttle mount so it can be properly bent to the full 90 degree angle. In the interim, I have installed a short section of vacuum tubing over the brake cable to protect it (ID to match the OD of the brake cable sheath). I have also removed my screen at least once to spend an hour sanding and slightly rounding those crudely unfinished edges of the CAL SCI screen. During some snowy/icy day I might remove it again, to finish it a bit more and possibly flame polish the edges.

One thing (among others) that I do not like about the CALSCI screen is: 1- at night, the headlight beam is picked up through the lower edge of the plexiglass windscreen and it glares up through the entire windscreen. In a way, it looks "cool" but when driving home every night at 2AM in the dark, the only returned glare I want to see, are reflections from objects ahead of me on the road. I don't need a map reading light while driving my bike in the dark. 2- Especially annoying is the reflection of the entire guage assembly bouncing off the interior of the windscreen when it is pitch dark at night. I also don't need an upside down mirror image of my dashboard flashing back at me when riding in the dark. A hood, extending a couple inches over the top of the guage assembly will eliminate the reflection however, that is a task being reserved until after I resolve my rediculous engine vibration, when under load.

My biggest pet peeve with this screen is with the mounting of the windscreen and the excessive amount of pressure required to hold it , once bolted. If you haven't noticed, the windscreen is held in place on the two canti-levered bars, by using a compression grommit. Unlike the factory windscreen which is curved perfectly to match the arc of the mounts (also the windscreen holes fit perfectly in front of the bolt holes of the rubber holding devices), the CAL SCI screen must be "pulled" around into the desired arc by 2 1/2" in order to get it to come close to the final mounting point. This screen is very thick and it takes quite some pressure to hold it in place. This holding tension places an undue pressure on the rubber mounts, thus pulling on the grommits (from behind), at an angle that is not perpendicular to the mounting holes. All 4 of my rubber mounts have been completely distorted from this. I contacted Mark regarding the need to have the windscreen pre-curved the extra 2 1/2 inches, but apparently that is not on his priority list, nor is the edge rough finish on 50 perecent of the windscreen. I guess we would have to pay $300 to get a truely finished product.

So why did I keep this screen you ask, after providing feedback to Mark (who advised me to return it)? It does work extremely well!!! At the time I purchased it, no other aftermarket screen that I researched, had the height or width I desired and, when I tested it on my bike, it performed very well. It appeared a bit large initially, but at 5'6" my visibility over the "sport" screen allowed me to see the road ahead, at about 15 or 18 feet. Once I decided to keep it (and after discussion with Mark at CALSCI), I had to ream out the bolt holes over 1/8" (wider) to improve the bolt position and help allevaite some of the angular pressure on the rubber mounting compression fittings. The bolts are not going to come out perpendicular to the mount without having the screen formed to fit the required arc. So, at some point while driving down the interstate at 70 MPH with a 40 mile headwind, and it rips loose, I know that I can contact CALSCI to resolve my situation (whatever it may be), because I offically informed him of this problem.

Ed

I also installed the CALSCI sport and have the exact same clearance issue on the right side only. Rotating my RH throttle/brake assembly upward, will only increase the interference. I noticed that my upper cable "90 degree tube" assembly was not bent to the full 90 degree angle, similar to the lower one- so it sticks out further. Also, the CAL SCI edges at that inset portion of the screen were extremely rough (not sanded and smoothed like the upper portion) so, whenever my bar was turned to the left the windscreen started to dig into and rip the throttle cable sheath adjacent to the adjustment assy. I expect some-day to remove all cowlings and remove the upper tube from the throttle mount so it can be properly bent to the full 90 degree angle. In the interim, I have installed a short section of vacuum tubing over the brake cable to protect it (ID to match the OD of the brake cable sheath). I have also removed my screen at least once to spend an hour sanding and slightly rounding those crudely unfinished edges of the CAL SCI screen. During some snowy/icy day I might remove it again, to finish it a bit more and possibly flame polish the edges.

One thing (among others) that I do not like about the CALSCI screen is: 1- at night, the headlight beam is picked up through the lower edge of the plexiglass windscreen and it glares up through the entire windscreen. In a way, it looks "cool" but when driving home every night at 2AM in the dark, the only returned glare I want to see, are reflections from objects ahead of me on the road. I don't need a map reading light while driving my bike in the dark. 2- Especially annoying is the reflection of the entire guage assembly bouncing off the interior of the windscreen when it is pitch dark at night. I also don't need an upside down mirror image of my dashboard flashing back at me when riding in the dark. A hood, extending a couple inches over the top of the guage assembly will eliminate the reflection however, that is a task being reserved until after I resolve my rediculous engine vibration, when under load.

My biggest pet peeve with this screen is with the mounting of the windscreen and the excessive amount of pressure required to hold it , once bolted. If you haven't noticed, the windscreen is held in place on the two canti-levered bars, by using a compression grommit. Unlike the factory windscreen which is curved perfectly to match the arc of the mounts (also the windscreen holes fit perfectly in front of the bolt holes of the rubber holding devices), the CAL SCI screen must be "pulled" around into the desired arc by 2 1/2" in order to get it to come close to the final mounting point. This screen is very thick and it takes quite some pressure to hold it in place. This holding tension places an undue pressure on the rubber mounts, thus pulling on the grommits (from behind), at an angle that is not perpendicular to the mounting holes. All 4 of my rubber mounts have been completely distorted from this. I contacted Mark regarding the need to have the windscreen pre-curved the extra 2 1/2 inches, but apparently that is not on his priority list, nor is the edge rough finish on 50 perecent of the windscreen. I guess we would have to pay $300 to get a truely finished product.

So why did I keep this screen you ask, after providing feedback to Mark (who advised me to return it)? It does work extremely well!!! At the time I purchased it, no other aftermarket screen that I researched, had the height or width I desired and, when I tested it on my bike, it performed very well. It appeared a bit large initially, but at 5'6" my visibility over the "sport" screen allowed me to see the road ahead, at about 15 or 18 feet. Once I decided to keep it (and after discussion with Mark at CALSCI), I had to ream out the bolt holes over 1/8" (wider) to improve the bolt position and help allevaite some of the angular pressure on the rubber mounting compression fittings. The bolts are not going to come out perpendicular to the mount without having the screen formed to fit the required arc. So, at some point while driving down the interstate at 70 MPH with a 40 mile headwind, and it rips loose, I know that I can contact CALSCI to resolve my situation (whatever it may be), because I offically informed him of this problem.

Ed

Thanks for the write up about the CalSci. I have been thinking about getting one as I'm not entirely pleased with the Honda Tall screen that I have. No issues at all with the mounting or fit, just increased wind noise and some helmet buffeting that I don't want to live with long term. I do like the mounts for the Honda tall screen and was skeptical when seeing pics of the CalSci being a bigger screen yet mounted to the stock small screen bolt holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back