• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Smell coming from Radiator

Texican88

Reaction score
Visit site
Preface: This is very likely a noob question

Intro: I rode into work today because it was it's in the mid-50s here in Chicago today. Only problem was that the roads were wet, with standing water in someplaces. Typically, I don't ride in wet conditions like this, primarily because I don't want to show up to work looking like a mess, but seeing as this was the first time I have ever been able to ride in January, I took advantage of it. At stoplights I could smell something burning. When I finally parked the bike I saw steam/smoke coming from the radiator. It was obvious that the tire had thrown water/road grime up onto the radiator and that was causing the steam.

Question: For those that have not installed an Extenda Fenda, is this smell typical? Unfortunately, it was a hard smell to describe. I didn't see any other leaks, but the bike was wet, so it would have been hard to locate. I just wanna make sure I don't have some sort of problem.

Thanks.

did ya farted?
Fart-fart-gas-gross-smiley-emoticon-000602-huge.png

just asking

Preface: This is very likely a noob question

Intro: I rode into work today because it was it's in the mid-50s here in Chicago today. Only problem was that the roads were wet, with standing water in someplaces. Typically, I don't ride in wet conditions like this, primarily because I don't want to show up to work looking like a mess, but seeing as this was the first time I have ever been able to ride in January, I took advantage of it. At stoplights I could smell something burning. When I finally parked the bike I saw steam/smoke coming from the radiator. It was obvious that the tire had thrown water/road grime up onto the radiator and that was causing the steam.

Question: For those that have not installed an Extenda Fenda, is this smell typical? Unfortunately, it was a hard smell to describe. I didn't see any other leaks, but the bike was wet, so it would have been hard to locate. I just wanna make sure I don't have some sort of problem.

Thanks.

As long as the smell isn't really sweet, it should be perfectly normal. Same with the steam.

If the smell is almost overpoweringly sweet, then it might be a coolant leak, as antifreeze has a very distinct sickly sweet smell to it. (this is why cats/dogs/kids confuse it with something good to eat/drink and can poison themselves from it)

If you don't experience riding in the rain very much, or coldish wet conditions, ya there will definitely be strange smells and clouds of steam billowing up from all the hot things for sure. :D

Because the engine is painted and not bare or anodized aluminum I smelled "new bike" smell for a long time with the NC700. Longer than I thought normal anyway.

The odor is from the air pollution being pulled out of the air, back to the street, and then mixed with water, splashing on your radiator, releasing itself as smelly steam.

All is fine, enjoy your Chicago air.

Hi,
with all due respect, it is hard to diagnose a smell from the internet.
I am betting it is "nothing".
If you are worried, you should get a mechanic to smell it.
:D

AW: Smell coming from Radiator

My 700s smells also in the air of Düsseldorf in Germamy. So i think it's normal!

Klaus

Back