• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Smacked a deer

vestril

Reaction score
Visit site
It's that time of year everybody!
I was coming down Hwy 59 South out of Sallisaw OK last night. It was a cool night and I was already worried about deer on the move and sure enough BAM! A good sized doe ran into the left side of my bike as I was going about 50mph. It was a full on tank slapper but I kept it upright. The deer hit me square on my shin and my toes. Felt like a sladgehammer to the shin and like I kicked a bowling ball. I heard the deer hit the bike but everything seemed okay. I pulled over but did not get off bike because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back on so I limped on home about 9 miles away. Went to hospital and no bones broken just massive bruising and an ankle sprain.
It did tear my left Honda saddlebag off but still.....I feel real damn lucky. The nurse at the hospital said I was second one in that evening but the other guy came in an ambulance, I sure hope he's okay.
Be safe out there, slow down and watch those shoulders.

Vestril

p.s Anybody got a left side saddlebag for sale :)

Attachments

• 20140915_135827.jpg
    20140915_135827.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 367
Wow, very good news on your condition and hopefully the other guy will be okay.

Good thing you were not going faster then your angel can fly.glad you are OK.the bag can be replaced.

I get very cautious this time of year because of the deer. Daylight savings time change was when an 8 point buck ran into my car.
The next year a doe almost got me on my Goldwing. An evasive monuver saved my butt there.I'm glad you are here to talk about it! Good job!!!

Sorry this happened to you. Not a good experience. This also happened to two of my riding buddies. One of those occasions I was behind him and watched it all play out. But, like you, they both did the wobble and kept the bike up. Glad you're OK.

It all happens so fast. I was on my 'Wing last summer in Colorado humming along, when all once a deer shot of of the woods, avoided me by making a sharp 90, and was actually running beside me. It was so close I could have booted him with my leg! Luckily it darted back into the woods from whence it came. I didn't avoid that deer; it avoided me! Scary stuff . . .

My Guardian Angel was with me for sure. If that deer had been a few inches taller it would have been in the handle bars or a few microseconds faster it would have been a direct collision. The bag I can replace. It's a bit of a bummer but again I still feel super lucky!

Vestril

Glad it was no worse to your body than some bruising and a sprained ankle. It could have been much worse. Deer can be spooky animals. They come out of nowhere, and they come so fast. I try not to ride in the early dawn or dusk hours for this very reason, but I have this choice since I only ride for recreation. I feel for those of you who commute and don't have a choice as to time of day when you ride. Hope you heal quickly and you can find a replacement side case.

Over the years one of the things I have learned is not to drive cross county at night, especially on non interstate roadways. Sooner or later, we all have a close encounter of the "deer" kind. Heck I don't care what kind of critters I hit on my bike, they all hurt! When on your bike, all critters are the ENEMY.

Last edited:
Over the years one of the things I have learned is not to drive cross county at night, especially on non interstate roadways. Sooner or later, we all have a close encounter of the "deer" kind. Heck I don't care what kind of critters I hit on my bike, they all hurt! When on your bike, all critters are the ENEMY.
But the 8 point that got my car was on the interstate. Lol

Glad your OK. Hope you heal quickly. I used to ride the backroads halfway to work but to many near misses with the wild life. I now take the Hwy my entire route. I'm not sure which one is safer. LOL. At leasst if a deer comes out on the Hwy it has several more oppurtunities to hit something other than me. That is the only good thing.

Man I hate those freaking oversized road vermin. It pisses me off that the state sets a limit on deer harvest and yet they are EVERYWHERE and causing all kinds of damage to property and getting people killed or hurt. I drive through deer country regularly, and I wish they would all be shot. If the gov't is going to say we can't shoot them, then the gov't should pay for the freaking damage and carnage that comes from them.

Glad you kept it upright and are OK. I'm driving my 700x tonight right through deer country after dark and it's like a paranoia fest the whole way.

Man I hate those freaking oversized road vermin. It pisses me off that the state sets a limit on deer harvest and yet they are EVERYWHERE and causing all kinds of damage to property and getting people killed or hurt. I drive through deer country regularly, and I wish they would all be shot. If the gov't is going to say we can't shoot them, then the gov't should pay for the freaking damage and carnage that comes from them.

Glad you kept it upright and are OK. I'm driving my 700x tonight right through deer country after dark and it's like a paranoia fest the whole way.

I'm sure the deer wish all the humans would die off, too. After all, there were probably deer in North America before there were humans.

Here in the midwest we feed them well with corn and beans.

I'm sure the cockroaches and rats also wish we would die off. But as the top of the food chain tough luck for them. I'm in the midwest and deer are basically giant rats that eat everything and cause damage everywhere. Good for shooting, eating, nothing else.

Glad you are OK.
I hit one of them big rats with cute eyes about 10 years ago. In my case I flew over the handle bars and landed on my shoulder and helmet. Broke bones but healed up OK.

I hate deer. Hunters please do your part to relieve the deer from their winter suffering.

Back