• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shinko 705's en route!

My monitor at work sucks, but squinting at the screen it looks like BrinkHouse reversed, and Yamezz didn't. (if Yamezz also chose the 130/80-17)

Mine is a 120 mounted the same direction as the rear. I'm not convinced braking force is that much of an issue with direction - I preferred to go with the direction that would squeeze water out to the sides as it rotates.

I emailed Shinko NA about a year ago and was told to mount the rear backwards on the front. I went with a different tire ( K60/TKC. ) so I never tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is a 120 mounted the same direction as the rear. I'm not convinced braking force is that much of an issue with direction - I preferred to go with the direction that would squeeze water out to the sides as it rotates.

I've always wrestled with this myself too. In the end I have forever dutifully reversed the front or rear tire depending on which wheel it's going on, but the rain groove directional water dispersion channeling thing has made me ponder many a time.

Last edited:
I've had the 705 on the back since new. I just put the front on last night and did install the same direction as the rear. I also pondered if I should reverse it but chose not to due to my thoughts as mentioned on here before, water dispersement. Also had to lift fender, I raised it 35mm. An 8 mile ride home last night and it is different. As someone asked on here before if it wants to turn in faster, it does. I'm not uncomfortable with it but it will take awhile for me to trust it. I'm sure it will work out fine. The same 8 mile ride to work today in the rain had me running cautiously but no surprizes.

So the front tire you used is a rear tire, did you mount it backwards. ??
Also I assume you went with a 130 instead of a 120 because it was rated as Tubeless. ??.

The front that I ordered is a front/rear version, so it asks you to mount it in a specific direction if used in the front vs if you use it in the rear. Here's a link, click front/rear from the drop down and you'll see the sizes they offer. 130/80/17 was the closest match.

Shinko 705 Dual Sport Tires - RevZilla

Why reverse it if mounted on the front? Rotational direction is the same so what is the proposed benefit of reversing when on the front?

Some say the reverse rotation is for better braking. Although I have never tried this and probably never will.

Edit: After I typed that I decided to do a search and found this. Not sure if this would apply or not. Makes sense though.

This is from a completely different forum.

"Front get more forces upon breaking, rear upon acceleration, due to weight shift. Traction makes the tires feel a stretching force that comes from the other direction for front and rear, so the construction of layers in the tires is reversed. IF you use a rear tire up front (but why would you?) Then put it in reverse direction".

Last edited:
A rear is designed the push the bike and a front is designed to have pressure applied in the opposite direction for braking.
Or something like that !!!.

Interesting theory since the tread pattern is directional.

BrinkHouse, is your rear 150/70/17 a radial and the front 130/80/17 bias ply? Asking because that is the only options I see on Revzilla. Are there issues with mixing on a bike?

I ordered the Shinko 705s in the same configuration as Brinkhouse with the big fatty up front. Since they'll be coming in next week, I took the opportunity on my afternoon off to pre-lift the front fender. It looks a little goofy with the OEM Metzler, but I didn't want to wait until the tires got here. I can't wait!

20131115_153531-M.jpg

Thanks Brinkhouse! I had to make a couple of label changes because I had a gift card to Lowes, but it was easy to find everything. I went with 16mm bolts.

I think it was 60/40 on the website I ordered from. It was teh 60/40 thread that Beemerphile started months ago that I originally saw these listed. The OP in this thread is where I decided to buy them...I think the bike looks GREAT with that big, aggressive front tire. I'm not a knee dragger by any means, so I'm not worried about twisties. I am interested to hear/see how they do in the wet. I like the look of these much more than the blocky TKC tires...no offense to anyone that has them, I just prefer these. Can't wait for them to get here.

Directional car tyres are the same for front or rear, so I wonder what is supposed to be different for bike tyres.

Either way, I just got back from an adventure ride of a little under 5,000km. The front is great. Never once did I think it was going to let go on the dirt, and it had excellent grip when braking hard - something I did a lot of on this trip. The rear on dirt is a different story. Not sure if it's due to weight bias, but the rear on dirt wanted to step out at any opportunity - both on corner entry and exit. Will try to do a ride report in the relevant section. These tyres were great on the sealed roads - allowing me to crank the bike over so far my footpegs were rubbing. :eek:

Great info on the 705's...ordered and should arrive next week. Time to lift the front fender so I'll be ready when they arrive.

Just found my old gen 1 705 front that I bought and used about 4 years ago for about 2,000 miles before it delaminated.

Do you remember what direction you mounted the front tire? Was it a front or rear tire?

I just put mine on Saturday and took the bike out for a 200 mile ride yesterday. They were great. I didn't even experience any of the slipperiness from the waxy coating. I deliberately went into the mountains and hit some really twisty goodness. I think they look great and other than some very mild vibration at low speed (expected obviously) they seem to be great road tires. I'll have to get out and see how they go on gravel next. I mounted the front backward since it was labeled as a rear. That should at least decrease the likelihood of delamination.

20131123_173458-M.jpg

Do you remember what direction you mounted the front tire? Was it a front or rear tire?

I just put mine on Saturday and took the bike out for a 200 mile ride yesterday. They were great. I didn't even experience any of the slipperiness from the waxy coating. I deliberately went into the mountains and hit some really twisty goodness. I think they look great and other than some very mild vibration at low speed (expected obviously) they seem to be great road tires. I'll have to get out and see how they go on gravel next. I mounted the front backward since it was labeled as a rear. That should at least decrease the likelihood of delamination.

20131123_173458-M.jpg

It was 19" front on my Vstrom, mounted according to the arrows.ALOT of the first 705's came apart,I have been told the problem has been fixed ,atleast on the radials.

Just ordered this same tire combo. I had an Avon ordered for the front but was able to cancel that order and add the 705. I'm looking forward to poking around the Ozark National Forest with a little more confidence than I had with street tires. I will do the fender mod while I'm waiting on the tires to arrive.
Mike

Interesting theory since the tread pattern is directional.

BrinkHouse, is your rear 150/70/17 a radial and the front 130/80/17 bias ply? Asking because that is the only options I see on Revzilla. Are there issues with mixing on a bike?

No, the 130/80/17H TL is radial. The 120 front with a TT designation is normal biased. That's why most are going to the 130 so they aren't mixing bias and radial tires. At least, that's my take on the matter.
Mike

Back