• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shinko 705 Thoughts Good and Bad

Ponyperformance8

Reaction score
Visit site
So after switching from Avon Distanzias to Shinko 705s, I figured I would share a thought or two.

The Good:

Overall the Grip from the tires (both front and rear) off road is noticeably better, even at road-inflation pressures (I run 32 psi front, 36 psi Rear). Off-road, I think that these tires grip better than the Avons did when they were doing to the 20's. So that is good. I have noticed a slower steering response, but only slightly and only when I am riding straight up, in small lane-change maneuvers. When actually making a turn, the flicks seem speedy enough, and I have noticed no huge difference.

The Bad:

Like Honda Bike Pro pointed out, I have the SW-Motech Crashbars and I can confirm that after raising that fender, the cross-bar does hit the front fender under anything more than moderate suspension compression. Today I hit it when being somewhat aggressive on a small hill, that left my fender with a small chip in the paint. Not that the paint issue bothers me greatly, but damaging the fender further is at the back of my mind. I figure any hit strong enough to break the fender down and/or stop the wheel would likely damage plenty of other stuff, but depending on how the ride goes from here to CA, i will have a thorough report and definitely be able to make my decision for any future tire changes.

I basically felt the same with them. Off-road you can get some initial slip in turns but then they hook nicely. Looking at the tread pattern it makes sense. The center is more of a street pattern and then gets more aggressive toward the outside. They aren’t a mud tire. They squish around but will get you through it. On the street they are slower on initial turn in but really handle fine overall. One of the best things I like about them on the street is gravel scattered across the road is not a problem. They barely notice the gravel which makes me a lot calmer. Yes some buzz but nothing like a knobbie. I would ride cross country on them.

I added 1 inch fork risers which solved the rubbing issue.

Well, I bought them from billskimods.com but they have gone out of business. You can probably find them elsewhere. They were listed as for a Honda Magna/VTX. Someone else figure out they have the same diameter fork tubes.

Yes I have SwMotech crash bars.

I've got the same crash bars and mine have never made contact with the front fender. Not sure if I'm just not aggressive enough or if upgrading the forks with the RT gold valves and springs helped out. But, now that I think about it I haven't been off road since getting the bars on. Just hitting potholes on these crappy California highways.

Yep. This one looks like the ones I got from Billski: VTX-treme 41mm Fork Extensions

I installed them at the same time that I changed the fork oil and installed the RaceTech Gold Valves so I had the forks all the way out. You can install them without totally removing the forks. Remove the stock caps. Be careful because the cap is under tension from the fork springs and will try to fly across the room. It isn’t a ton of tension but is enough to fling it. Install the new extension caps. Loosen the forks in the lower and upper triple tree and lower them down until the top of the cap is about flush with the upper tree. Tighten the trees and all done.

The one bad thing with these is you lose the ability to take them off without loosening the forks in the trees and sliding them up.

This is probably a stupid question but here goes. Do the extensions raise up the front end by whatever size you buy? Because if they do, I'ma get 'em!
This bike is just a tad bit too low for my legs.

The forks are at an angle so you don't get a full 1" height increase for 1" extenders. I didn't think to measure before/after. With having taller tires and the fork extenders and a slightly taller, ~1/4", custom seat my knees are still slightly bent when flat footed. I'm 6'1 ~35" inseam. That is better than the full outrigger mode my legs were in before.

Forgot to mention. With handlebar risers and the fork extenders, the brake line is maxed out at full extension. I need to get a custom line made an inch or 2 longer.

Good point on the brake line. I already have Rox risers so I guess 2" fork extenders and a brake line are on my list now....gee thanks.

Thanks for answer, too.

how high are you handlebar risers? just wondering how high you can go before needing the extended brake lines.
(ie. 1" risers + 1" fork extensions or 2" risers + 1" fork extensions etc.)

Also if the tire is taller is there fender clearance or does the fender need to be moved also?

Back