• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Say Hello To "Sparky"

can electric do wheelie?

No, at least not my SR. I have gotten a little air when hitting a bump while accelerating but it won't wheelie from a standing start. However, I don't care because the mid-range acceleration is fierce and the torque is addictive - superbike level. The ultra-quiet acceleration is like a license to speed.

Edit: Apparently the Zero FX model can wheelie pretty easily - that's their dirtbike.

Last edited:
"Sparky" got some tattoos (a.k.a decals) to maker her more noticeable to "Cagers".

Check it out!!!

IMG_4834.jpg

IMG_4836.jpg

I applied reflective rim tape strips to the wheels, white front and orange on the rear. I also found these reflective lightning bolt stickers on Amazon that I felt were appropriate to give Sparky her identity. I will also be applying red ones on the rear of Sparky.

I wonder if the traction control is what limits the wheelie ability. That motor has so much torque, and that bike is so light, it should be easy to do.

ETA: the decals look great btw[emoji106]

I wonder if the traction control is what limits the wheelie ability. That motor has so much torque, and that bike is so light, it should be easy to do.

ETA: the decals look great btw[emoji106]

I do believe that the factory programmed profiles in the motor controller are to limit the torque based on what mode is selected. The factory offers only 2 modes that they set, "ECO" which real "Mild" to get the most mileage out of a charge and "SPORT" where everything is "Wide Open" for performance. I do believe that the torque is limited to prevent accidents and the front end coming up expectantly.

As mentioned in one of my earlier post, there's a user configurable setting "CUSTOM". I have set to limit the top speed at 85 MPH, turned up all the "Regen" settings to over 85% and limited the torque to 80%. This makes Sparky perform well in the freeway and still have the fun and the ability to get me out of trouble when needed.

I do not recommend "ECO" for use on California's highways. It limits the top speed at 70 MPH, that will get you ran-over quicker then a jack rabbit in the bush...

One of the things that occurs with a wheelie is that it is not about the torque. "Popping" the clutch is not using engine torque to get the initial "lift" of the front end. The energy of the revved engine is transferred rapidly through the clutch.
It is not the same as engine torque.
I am not saying Sparky doesn't have enough torque to do the deed because I don't know. Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't.

I am pretty sure the manufacturer would know by now.

<edit> I just sent them an email.

Last edited:
I have talked to a very reliable Zero tech who told me there are no limits on the torque in Sport mode even though it kind of feels like it from a standing start. There is no traction control either. I wish there were because I have had the rear tire step out on me several times when giving it a little too much juice coming out of a corner. And in the wet it's Eco mode all the time or else it's spin city. The Zero's acceleration from a standing start is brisk but not like popping the clutch on a gas bike. In fact, I have found that full throttle from a standing start is no better than half throttle and then a quick twist once it is rolling. The torque is massive but it is not as abrupt as popping a clutch. In fact, the Zero's drive belt is much smaller than what you see on most gas bikes and that's because the power delivery is so smooth compared to gas bikes which deliver power much more suddenly with gearshifting and clutching. Even with that the SR will beat almost any bike off the line because the power is so easily accessible. It's the ultimate twist 'n go. It would take a perfect launch from a gas bike to beat it, and sport bikes are geared so high that they don't hit their power band right away. By then, the Zero is gone. The only vehicle that has pulled on me just slightly was a Tesla P85D and I know he was in INSANE mode because I made sure to ask him at the next stoplight where we had a nice exchange about each other's vehicles. That is one freakin' quick car. No, the Zero won't wheelie but it doesn't need to. It's the mid-range acceleration that I care about most and is in my opinion the most usable in the real world. The time it takes to get from 30mph to 70mph still shocks me (pun intended) and I have close to 5000 miles on the bike. My wheelie days are over anyway.

I have talked to a very reliable Zero tech who told me there are no limits on the torque in Sport mode even though it kind of feels like it from a standing start. There is no traction control either. I wish there were because I have had the rear tire step out on me several times when giving it a little too much juice coming out of a corner. And in the wet it's Eco mode all the time or else it's spin city. The Zero's acceleration from a standing start is brisk but not like popping the clutch on a gas bike. In fact, I have found that full throttle from a standing start is no better than half throttle and then a quick twist once it is rolling. The torque is massive but it is not as abrupt as popping a clutch. In fact, the Zero's drive belt is much smaller than what you see on most gas bikes and that's because the power delivery is so smooth compared to gas bikes which deliver power much more suddenly with gearshifting and clutching. Even with that the SR will beat almost any bike off the line because the power is so easily accessible. It's the ultimate twist 'n go. It would take a perfect launch from a gas bike to beat it, and sport bikes are geared so high that they don't hit their power band right away. By then, the Zero is gone. The only vehicle that has pulled on me just slightly was a Tesla P85D and I know he was in INSANE mode because I made sure to ask him at the next stoplight where we had a nice exchange about each other's vehicles. That is one freakin' quick car. No, the Zero won't wheelie but it doesn't need to. It's the mid-range acceleration that I care about most and is in my opinion the most usable in the real world. The time it takes to get from 30mph to 70mph still shocks me (pun intended) and I have close to 5000 miles on the bike. My wheelie days are over anyway.

Another Zero and NC owner. Cool.

Your post is what I figured too. The NC XD model is nice for me too since it takes away a "chore" and eliminates a lot of "snatches". Not that I don't know how to use a clutch and all, but you know.

And here is the answer from someone at Zero.

Hi Jeff,

I would refer you to an editorial that was done recently on our 2015 DS. The article starts on page 72 wheelie is shown on page 74. The FX is the best model as it will power wheelie at virtually any speed the others can do it but you need to work at it. For most customers not having a clutch makes it all but impossible, but I think that happens primarily because they are unfamiliar with direct drive and rely heavily on the clutch on gas powered motorcycles. At any rate, happy reading.

Cycle News - Cycle News 2015 Issue 17 April 28

Best regards,

Bryan Parham

Dealer Development Manager NA

I'm currently looking at the Zero DS and the Alta Motors Redshift SM. I really like the light weight of the Redshift and it looks like a great bike for dual sport, off road, riding. I like the lower price of the Redshift, but currently have no knowledge of the recharging task. Is it easily accomplished, or a pain? I have an electric car charging station about 1/2 mile from my home. Very convenient if I was able to utilize it?
I'll share my knowledge of the Redshift as I acquire it. But watching their demo video in and on the streets of San Francisco is quite amazing.

I'm currently looking at the Zero DS and the Alta Motors Redshift SM. I really like the light weight of the Redshift and it looks like a great bike for dual sport, off road, riding. I like the lower price of the Redshift, but currently have no knowledge of the recharging task. Is it easily accomplished, or a pain? I have an electric car charging station about 1/2 mile from my home. Very convenient if I was able to utilize it?
I'll share my knowledge of the Redshift as I acquire it. But watching their demo video in and on the streets of San Francisco is quite amazing.

RedshiftSpecs.jpg

Zero DS Specifications

I looked over the specs of Redshift SM and see a few things that would be of concern to me.

Battery Capacity: Redshift SM - 5.2 kWh, Zero DS - 12.5 kWh - More kilo-watt hours equals more miles for sure.

Horsepower: Redshift SM - 20/40 HP, Zero DS - 54 HP - More horsepower, more get out if its own way.

Estimated Range: Redshift SM - 50 miles, Zero DS - 90-104 miles - Well I do not think that I have to explain this one.

Drive System: Redshift SM - Chain, Zero DS - Kevlar Belt - Chain Maintenance is required.

Brake System: Redshift SM - Standard, Zero DS - ABS

Charging: Redshift SM - Not Disclosed, Zero DS - 120 VAC to 240 VAC using IEC C13 AC Power Cords. Can also utilize EV Charging Stations with an adaptor.

0003418_300.png
C1694096a.jpg

Dealer Network: Redshift SM - Unknown, Zero - Visit the Zero Website.

Pricing: Redshift SM - $15,495 MSRP, Zero DS - $13,995 MSRP

After reviewing all this information, the Zero DS seems to be the best value and you would get far more than the Redshift SM in comparison.

My suggestions are not biased because a I own a Zero SR. They are simply based off the information that I had available to me to draw a conclusion from.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding Electric Motorcycles.

Attachments

• RedshiftSpecs.jpg
    RedshiftSpecs.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Back