• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sargent Seat, Pre-Registering NC700X for Seat Development

Since there seems to be some confusion on Sargent seats, it may help to refer to the hopefully upcoming off the shelf version as the World Sport seat (since that what Sargent usually calls their off the shelf model) and the ride in versions as the Custom seat. For discounts on the Custom seat service, Sargent typically offers discounts during the winter months. As Pismocycleguy said, Sargent has been known to give discounts on World Sport seats to people who pre register. I pre registered for a seat for an FZ1 and when they went into production Sargent sent me an email with an offer for a 15% discount.
As far as seat pans for the World Sport seats are concerned, I doubt that Sargent will be able to do it the easy way. Mine was the first seat NC seat Sargent modified, and when I rode up to show them the installed seat and have some tweaks done, the rep I'd been dealing with, the owner of Sargent, and a woman they introduced as their design engineer looked over the bike. The engineer commented to the owner that producing the front seat would be fairly simple, but the complicated shape of the rear seat pan would present a serious challenge. Now this was the late October/early November 2012 time frame, so things may have changed since then.

Bob

Thank You Thank You ..... Even with modding the position of the seat position it still has much room for modification (stock seat and pan) .... Plan to retire in May and ride all next summer .... be nice to have new seat earlier, so I really appreciate your persistence getting this going ....

Much more important than how the seat pan is manufactured, is who will be the rider this seat will be made to fit? Honda likely attempted a one seat fits all approach, which obviously it does not. Will Seargent go for a seat that fits a 6'2" 260 pound rider, or a 5'6" 150 pound rider? If they go with a tall wide seat, they will miss out on the smaller rider, as did Seat Concepts.

I'm courious what research they have done as to the physical attributes and riding styles of their potential buyers.

Greg
Is that a NO?

Soooo, sounds like what they will sell off the shelf will bear little resemblance to the seats they have made for those who have done a ride in. Perhaps you didn't get into sufficient detail in your conversation but I'd thought those who did the ride ins were quite happy with their seat. Question is, then, why are they saying "new seat pan"? :confused:
You are correct. The off the shelf will be constructed for comfort "without" the inherit limitations of the Honda OEM seat pan. It will be a World Sport seat, not an attempt to modify the stock "Marquis de Sade" seat into an acceptable riding seat.
It will be a "new seat"! Wait for the finished product to learn what new means.

Is that a NO?

It's not a no. It's a question. What audience is the seat going to be made for? What seat "problems" are they going to address in their design? Depending on the rider's needs, it could be better or it could be worse that stock. It's impossible to say I'd want a Sargent seat until I see what they build.

I abstain until the product is real and shown.

Greg

I would have.to wait until the reviews.i am one of the 5'10 160 pound guys.i can't go any higher.

For what it's worth, there is no downside to pre-registering for a Sargent seat. You are not committing to buy, just expressing interest. When I pre registered for a seat for the FZ1, I didnt hear anything from Sargent until they put the seat into production. At that time they sent me an email offering a discount if I ordered one of the first seats. There was no pressure to buy, and there were no follow up emails.
As Pismocycleguy posted, all we can do at this point is speculate on what the finished seat will be, but pre registering doesn't put you under any obligation to buy it. The only reason I'm not pre registering is that Sargent has already built a custom seat for my bike and I'm happy with it.

Bob

Go or no go?

For what it's worth, there is no downside to pre-registering for a Sargent seat. You are not committing to buy, just expressing interest. When I pre registered for a seat for the FZ1, I didnt hear anything from Sargent until they put the seat into production. At that time they sent me an email offering a discount if I ordered one of the first seats. There was no pressure to buy, and there were no follow up emails.
As Pismocycleguy posted, all we can do at this point is speculate on what the finished seat will be, but pre registering doesn't put you under any obligation to buy it. The only reason I'm not pre registering is that Sargent has already built a custom seat for my bike and I'm happy with it.

Bob
Well said Bob! There is no obligation to make a purchase. This pre-registering is basically a "beauty contest", just gauging interest for a potential product. If there is enough interest for a NC700 seat, then Sargent will proceed.

Just register to show there is a need for a better seat on this bike. Not willing to go to Corbin after my last purchase from them. I don't like the Russell look, and there were too many mixed reviews on the Shad. Need to get more options, and registering will only help, whether you buy or not.

Looks as if the process in beginning

Last week when I was talking to the people at Sargent Cycle they asked me if I would be amenable to providing my NC seat to be used in the development of the World Sport Performance seat for the NC. I agreed, and last Saturday a FedEx truck stopped by my place with a pickup call tag for my seat. So things are beginning in the process of producing the new, off the shelf, seat for the NC. They are going to use my seat for the development of their proprietary seat pan and shaping of the supportive foam and upholstery. I was informed that there is a Honda bike dealer close by who will let them borrow the NC700X bike for calculating the geometry and testing the fit of the new seat.
I was taken by surprise that Sargent moved so quickly. I only hope that the development of the World Sport seat progresses equally as rapidly. I will keep everyone informed as I receive information from Sargent.:cool:

Just out of curiosity, are they working on both front and rear or just the rear seat?
Bob
Bob, they will be working on both the front and back seats. But I believe that you'll be able to purchase just the front, the back, or both.
They also mentioned that they may just offer an upholstery up grade for the rear seat so that it would match the front.
I am really only interested in the front seat as I very rarely carry another person. And yes, I have another seat to use on my bike as we're waiting for the Sargent product to become available.

Back