• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Saddle Sore 1000: 2nd attempt (part 2 of 2)

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With the holidays coming up, I had the sensation that I had some unfinished business with the Iron Butt Assoc. and, specifically, the SS1K (Saddle Sore 1000) (NB: 1K is actually 1024, but we use that to mean 1000).

Ever since the first DNF result, I've analysed what went wrong during the day's quiet moments. Did I start early enough? Did I choose a good route? Did I tarry too long at stops talking to people?

The first thing I did when considering a 2nd attempt was to plan out the route not just with general way points but with actual addresses of gas stations spaced approx. 180 miles apart. Google and google maps helped me with that and produced the same map as shown in part one, but with a little more precision.

Did I start early enough? No. I did not. This time I knew to back up the start time about 3 hours since the first DNF was about that amount over finishing at 22:00 hrs. This time, I had 3 hours of sleep after a night of live music and beer, then got up and got my first time-stamped gas receipt at 02:09 in the morning. I planned to hit my assigned gas stops, but I did stop for a hot breakfast at a Denny's after the first two, very cold, hours. I got to watch the sun rise in Baker California, half way point to Vegas from the L.A.

This time, I realized that every minute counted, and I set the GPS (TomTom One 3rd ed. $20 from Amazon) so that it told me my ETA at the finish during the whole ride. Every time I stopped for gas, the ETA got pushed a little later, and this time, I watched it so that it never got past 22:00 hours. That's my limit. At 22:00 hrs, I'm ready to turn in no matter what I'm doing.

I did no sight seeing this time. I stopped for gas as quickly as I could. I stopped for lunch at a McDonald's I could see from I-40, and talked to no one. No scenic stops for pictures of the Colorado River or side-trips to Seligman to see Route 66's faded glory. Stop, gas, eat, go.

At Meteor Crater Road, AZ, my turn around point, I got off the Interstate, and then right back on. No long lingering looks at the sunset there this time! Besides, the sun wasn't close to setting at the halfway point this time, and I smiled knowing this was a good thing!

The trip down Interstate 17 through Sedona was a lot more fun in the daylight! As usual, I looked at the beautiful scenery and thought it perfect.... except ... that I was alone. No place of great beauty is complete without my beloved Mrs. StratTuner with me. I-17 South to Phoenix is a really long mountainous road ride with lots of turns and twists. In the dark, the first time, it was gruelling! This time, in the light, it was like riding through a picture post card.

Sunset came in Phoenix during the gas up there, and I was a little worried about the effect Intersate 10 would have on me, in the dark, for the next 300 miles or so. As I mentioned before, riding in the dark is hypnotic. All you can see are the reflectors and the other vehicles. There's nothing for your mind to do but flirt with sleep.

This 2nd time, I took too precautions: 1) I brought along an MP3 player, and 2) I downed a "Monster" green energy drink before the Sedona leg. Now, Monster is coming close to drug use, and though I'm not proud, it sure worked better than 5-hr energy cool aid.

Listening to music is not something I usually do on a ride because it's a hassle, and it distracts me from the road. In this case, it distracted me from a hypnotic road, and that was a good thing. Listening to music gave my mind something to do, and that made even the night ride more pleasant.

Stopping for gas in Blythe (on the California/Arizona border) felt like a small victory. That's where I found a hotel and declared my DNF the first time. This time, I shook the dirt off my boots and headed into my home state!

The last leg from Blythe to home was 200 miles even, and it was too much. At 75mph, even the mighty NC70X can't get the gas mileage to make 200 miles a comfortable goal. I made an unscheduled fuel stop in Cabazon and then made it home to the same gas station I had been to 21 hours earlier. I probably didn't need to stop there for the final "I'm done" time-stamped receipt, but I did anyway. I was at home and talking with my beloved by 22:20 hrs.

The next day, I used a glue stick to put all the receipts in order on two pages, nine gas stops total. I crossed all the ts, and dotted the i's, and sent my check for the Iron Butt Association license plate frame.

I will post pictures of that stuff when it arrives. Thanks for reading this.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the encouragement.

I plan to use the "Iron Butt" license plate frame as a picture frame on the wall.
I'll have me posing on the NC700x.
I ordered two... not sure yet if I want to put that license plate frame on the motorcycle... have to think about that.

Victory! :D To be honest I liked your first attempt post better than this one, it was almost Zen like. This post was all business, but so was the ride, so I guess it fits the mood. You sure can write! :) Thanks! and Congrats!

Good job Strat. I may do this next summer. I usually ride down to see my wife (she lives in Florida, I live in Indiana-work related) and it is 814 miles from my Indiana driveway to the Florida driveway. I usually do this in 13-13.5 hours (all interstate except for 8 miles from my house and the 12 miles to her house off the Interstate and I only make gas stops and 1 thirty minute lunch break). I usually leave either way at 5am and get home around 6-630pm (same time zone). I just got to figure a route which wont be backtracking (I hate backtracking anywhere). and going in the same general direction. Lucky for me there are 3 interstates which go North-South and 2 go into Florida (I-75, I-95) and one which goes close (I-65).

Nicely done, Congratulations. It is an awesome achievement, it must feel like completing a marathon race. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your post.

I will post pictures of that stuff when it arrives.

Did you ever receive your Iron Butt memorabilia in the mail? I'm considering a ride like this over the summer. Wanted to do it last year, but at the time I did not have the right bike for the ride. Now I do. Thanks for the motivation to likely get me over the hurdle and on the road.

Did you ever receive your Iron Butt memorabilia in the mail? I'm considering a ride like this over the summer. Wanted to do it last year, but at the time I did not have the right bike for the ride. Now I do. Thanks for the motivation to likely get me over the hurdle and on the road.
They sent the license plate frame, but the promised certificates detailing the brave deed never came.
It's one of those things where I could write them and complain, but...whot needs that? The license plate frame (backing) is what I really wanted anyway.

Back