• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Return to the Land of the Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want a cabin, make your own reservations. They usually go quick, so I would do that early. The campground usually opens in April. If you are camping, reservations not needed. You don't need to bring towels, they are provided. Usually, if there is a crowd, breakfast and dinner will be provided Thur. -Sat. There is a nice diner a quarter mile up the road and Robbinsville is a 20 minute ride with lots of restaurants.

Kickstand Lodge motorcycle campground

I will send Mo (the owner) our numbers from the signup sheet so she will know how many are coming. If you get there first, set up camp in the far back corner.

Kickstand #4. One of the better years.

The Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy: KSL 4 - The Nighthawk Forums.com Smoky Mountain Rally - Part A

The Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy: KSL 4 - The Nighthawk Forums.com Smoky Mountain Rally - Part B

The Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy: KSL 4 The Nighthawk-Forums.com Smoky Mountain Rally Part C

We will be hauling a trailer with the bikes in it. It will be the "tent" and with a tarp for the "porch". That makes us an RV per their definition so will have to be in the RV area.
Unless we stay in a motel (not positive yet).

Thanks.
We will try to make up our minds sooner rather than later.
I am just not much of a camper at this age. And if it is wet I am not happy because I cannot get rain gear that is long enough to keep me dry. Or I am just a sissy.

Florida west coast PM thunderstorms are pretty wicked. We also have more lighting than all but one other place on the planet. Hence me being a bit of a sissy.
Are NC afternoon storms "real" storms?
Not that it will matter if one is there already. But then 35 years ago I didn't have a pocket radar display. Heh.

It all depends, in the mountains, they are usually small and local. Pop up storms. I'm not a big fan of lightening myself. Last year I hit rain for about 20 minute on the way back to camp. I was dry by the time I got there. I mentioned rain so folks will be prepared. It was a problem just once in the last six years. Had a major frontal system come through.

Last edited:
I see half day slow rains and some isolated heavy rains about 3 out of 4 times I visit the Smokies. But no lightning or strong winds, really. I tend to go in May or September. Both times I was at Iron Horse last year we had big rain, but the other time last year we camped by Waynesville for 6 days and had just a half day of rain. No matter, we just rode in it anyway. At the Horizons meet, Fuzzy, Beemerphile, and I went off on a four hour ride and it rained the whole time. We had fun, nonetheless. I would avoid going up on the Cherohala or the BRP in those conditions since the visibility can be really bad.

My advice is to count on at least a half day of rain. Be prepared. Then, if it doesn't rain, it's all the better.

Last edited:
It's official! I cleared my work schedule and I, too, am returning to the land of the Dragon. See you at Stecoah, NC in May!

670, i added your name to the sign up sheet. If you so desire, add ICOE info.

Last edited:
Its a motorcycle campground. You can trailer in, but have to park in certain areas. There are some folks that have covered trailers and use them for campers. I think the rate is higher than tent camping. There are a few spots with limited electricity, no dump stations or water. The bathhouse is always clean and stocked with towels.

A few photos of Kickstand Lodge

typical trailer set ups and misc. pictures from the campground

P1010159_zpsveyr1riq.jpg

This is a couple with matching bikes. They own several each.

IMG_20150514_194129_018_zpsgbporfc5.jpg

P1010134_zpsr5pl8diq.jpg

P1010136_zpsp6zzs5ki.jpg

P1010158_zpszffj4unk.jpg

P1010162_zpsfgnwsjsq.jpg

Some of the little cabins are in the background....they are little. Good for one person or two VERY good friends.

P1010164_zpsyue5dhcu.jpg

IMG_20150516_194556_972_zpssqw6xwud.jpg

Owners of the red and blue nighthawks.

I like it that there's more open space there than at Iron Horse. I notice and envy that each time I ride past Kickstand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back