• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Resetting the ECU

wozza

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The below was posted on the UK forum by user name 'Old Man', so any credit for this must go to him.
I thought the below information is of enough importance I thought I would share.
I don't know how correct the info is and I haven't tried it, so that is my disclaimer.
I'm not particularly technically minded, so comments and thoughts from more skilled members would be appreciated.
I hope the below info may be of use to some of you guys.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

So I’ve been doing some reading in the quest to better my bike in regards to its smoothness.

I was out at the weekend with a good friend and although a fantastic ride I felt that the bike wasn’t nice to ride and found it harder to ride smoothly though villages and slow tracks when in 1st and 2nd.

Apparently as part of the prep before the dealer hands over the keys, the mechanic resets the ECU starts the bike and lets it idle for around 15 minutes until the fan cuts in. In the 15 minutes the ECU creates a base map using all the info gathered from the O2, water temperature and possibly other sensors.

I have added a number of mods including a DNA air filter and a Beowulf end can thus changing the airflow in the exhaust. Now I was under the impression that the ECU would adapt to this change and compensate; but it seems that it is restricted by its already formed base map created on day one.

Please correct me if I am way off the mark.

I reset mine tonight and went for a ride and am very pleased with the results.

Smoother throttle response, pulls from much lower in the rev band in all gears and 6th is much more usable. Also seems to sound better.

This is what I did.
1.Completely disconnected the battery for 24h (my reading sources state 10 minutes to half an hour) I wanted to me sure.
2.Turn the key to on to get rid of any held power for about 30 seconds (probable not needed).
3.Reconnect Battery (make sure all other electrics are off)
4.Turn key to on
5.Start bike without touching the throttle.
6.Leave to idle (DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE) for around 15 minutes until the fan kicks in (mine took 16 minutes).
7.Hit the kill switch.
8.Turn off the ignition.
9.Now you’re done.

If you do decide to give it a go please let me know what you think.

Old Man

Not convinced this idle learn procedure has any merit on the NC700.

This procedure is called idle learn and is used on my Honda cars that have a far more sophisticated fuel injection system.
Since this procedure in not documented in the manual or PDI service bulletin I would hold off on the awards ceremony.;)

By sophistication I mean the NC has no long or short fuel trim setting, learning or codes, crank sensor learn, misfire detection, no idle learn etc etc etc

Last edited:
I was not aware that the bike learns your riding habits. The procedure you described above will only change the idle control function and learn a new parameter. This would be the kind of thing to do if your bike is stalling at idle or you have a dirty throttle body that you recently cleaned. So, by simply doing what you said above in theory, you are telling the ECU to basically learn a bad habit.

After poking around the net, the only thing I could find on your theory was this:

"This new-generation DCT has a higher level of sophistication: a “learning function” has been added that allows the ECU (engine control unit) to detect a variety of riding environments from city streets to mountain passes during each selected running mode, and the DCT then automatically performs the most appropriate shift pattern."

"In other words, shift point is not simply dictated by revs – throttle position sensor data plays a part in dictating change points. To some extent the ECU can ‘learn’ how individuals tend to ride and factor that information into the equation."

Both are for the DCT model, and mention nothing for the base model.

Last edited:
By sophistication I mean the NC has no long or short fuel trim setting, learning or codes, crank sensor learn, misfire detection, no idle learn etc etc etc

This truly surprises me, if correct. Without wishing to cast aspersions: Are you sure? Is this ECU encrypted, or easily-accessible via a RomRaider/OpenECU type of thing?

An ECU which learns my riding habits?
Too many Hancock movies?
but seriously, has motorcycling progressed so much whilst I was on the desert island?
:p

I just found this post… This is standard operating procedure (SOP) for Goldwing 1800 owners. The Goldwing's do not disconnect the battery.

It is also standard operating procedure for Triumph Explorer and Fuel injected KTM's

I just found this post… This is standard operating procedure (SOP) for Goldwing 1800 owners. The Goldwing's do not disconnect the battery.

According to my manual and my GL1800 service mechanic, they do disconnect the battery but just for a 10 min period. I have done this more than once and when changing fi effected parts, it does yield good results that you can feel not just note in mpg etc.

Back