• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Replacing handlebars

ricksride

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to replace my bent handlebars, (this weekend?).
I am also adding the Storm S5's guards.

Question:
Do I need to re-install the internal weights into the new bars or will the weight of the S5's be enough to take up the missing internal weights?

I would say that as you don't have the pain in the arse of taking any old weights out, I'd go with the hand guard weights.

Just my opinion though, I'm no expert!

I am going to replace my bent handlebars, (this weekend?).
I am also adding the Storm S5's guards.

Question:
Do I need to re-install the internal weights into the new bars or will the weight of the S5's be enough to take up the missing internal weights?

If it were me, as I am unfortunately super easily effected by handle bar vibes (darn it :() I would do my level best to retain the OEM internal weights.

Apologies, I do not have the S5's installed, so I can't comment on that part, but one of the things I really like about my NCX is how un-vibey the bars are. My BMW (F800ST) had the most ginormous bar end weights I've ever seen on a motorcycle, yet they didn't work for me in the slightest! No internal weight system on that bike.

So if you are prone to vibes, I wouldn't want to lose the OEM set up, if I didn't have to.

On my sw motech handguards, I have leave in place the OE weight to avoid any bad surprise ( possible additionnal vibration) You must just in this case drill a hole at the right place to maintain the OE system in the new handlebar

You can always put them back in if you have too much vibration. I would leave them out until/unless you need them. I would also leave them out because they are the most stupidly designed bar weights I have ever encountered and when I removed them from my wife's NCX after much frustration, I cursed them into my bucket of scrap metal parts. They are pure evil.

FYI - I installed Barkbusters with their superior and well thought out bar end weights. My wife reports no discernible difference or increased vibes. ;)

You can always put them back in if you have too much vibration. I would leave them out until/unless you need them. I would also leave them out because they are the most stupidly designed bar weights I have ever encountered and when I removed them from my wife's NCX after much frustration, I cursed them into my bucket of scrap metal parts. They are pure evil.

FYI - I installed Barkbusters with their superior and well thought out bar end weights. My wife reports no discernible difference or increased vibes. ;)

That's what I was looking for.ATT00014.gif

If your replacing the bars, the grips and throttle will be off. Removing the weights is really not that hard. Compress the two clips and pull the weight out with 6mm bolt screwed in the end and a pliers grabbing the bolt.

This is from the how to section:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/how-tos/5244-bar-end-weight-removal-how-6.html

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/p...authkey=CPujn_HJpKvqdQ&banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1

The retaining clip is not that hard to compress. When all else fails think of picking a lock and work it or wack it a BFH..........

Last edited:
I replaced bent bars too. I didn't bother transferring the weights and have felt no vibrations in a couple of thousand km since. I did add iso grips which are meant to negate the weights so that may not tell you much.

Update on replacing the handlebars... NOT!
The ones I received from Webike were nice but I didn't know about the pesky little holes drilled out for both the internal weights, (not using those anyways), and the holes for the controls.
So... I scrapped the whole idea of using the new bars and just ordered OEM's from So. Bound Honda. Luckily I live close enough to pick up at the store. :)
Gotta wait another week before I can finish it.
Oh well.

Finally got the new bars on. (stock is always better... at least in this case)
I also found one of the internal weights that I had taken out of one side. It was in good shape which got me thinking about the other one that was still stuck in the bent bars.
So, got the vise grips out and held the end weight whilst I unscrewed the internal weight. Yea... success! That weight was also in good shape. The screw was bent at the end weight side of things, which made everything really ugly.
Since I now have the original weights out and new OEM handlebars, I might as well stuff the weights back in. I had to buy one new end weight and the other side wasn't damaged. Still need a new screw before I can finish, though.

Any advice on re-installing the internal weights or just get the BFH? The grips are already on, BTW.

While I was waiting for the bars to arrive I was reading posts here about the 2" ROX risers. I got lucky and found a used set on fleabay for almost half of new price! :)
Those went on the same time as the new bars.

Things are looking good.
woohoo.gif

Back