• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Repaint silver plastics to matte black

I traded body parts off a ZRX1200 Kaw through a website like this one. I placed an add in the parts wanted, a guy with a red one traded me for the blue stuff, it went well and all were happy riders. Only trouble is there is only silver in the USA, If someone in Canada wanted to be differant it would be the only reasonable option due to shipping costs. But since the parts are not large it would be easy to use a spray can of flat black and another can of semi gloss clear or find a body guy that moonlites at home, he would prolly charge $200ish including material.

Yeah I'm wondering too if its really necessary to disassemble and paint all of the panels or simply get it airbrushed. Thoughts?

First no matter how well it's taped off you'll never get a perfect paint job with an air brush. You need to pull the plastic off, have it cleaned and prep sanded and like Lee said make sure the paint shop knows what type of plastic it is before they shoot it. You don't want to half a*s the paint on a bike you plan to have for awhile. Its been about a billion year since I was in L.A. but I know there was a couple of dozen custom paint shops out there then, Honda of Hollywood used to do paint and JM Motorsports did custom work if you could get in and didn't mind a long wait, Check with them. Also there was 2 shops down in National City in S.D. on the mile, but I can't remember the names. Anyway a good bet is Honda of Hollywood if they still do paint because they would know how to pull all the plastic, if nothing else that could pull the panels for you so you could take then to a shooter. Also the dealer you bought it from should have a manual and a tech to pull them if you don't mind paying the shop hour prices.

Thanks for FrankQC from this forum I found out the actual color that the plastic parts are painted with for the all black version. It's called "Darkness Black Metallic". Now, I also got a quote from my Honda Dealership. They want $2,000 to disassemble the parts and paint it. That's ridiculous considering that I got a quote from a painter for $600. However, I'd have to bring in the parts myself.

Now, how hard would it be to take all the plastic parts off myself? I do have the service manual but have very limited mechanic skills. (and with very limited I mean almost none. :p)

Thanks for FrankQC from this forum I found out the actual color that the plastic parts are painted with for the all black version. It's called "Darkness Black Metallic". Now, I also got a quote from my Honda Dealership. They want $2,000 to disassemble the parts and paint it. That's ridiculous considering that I got a quote from a painter for $600. However, I'd have to bring in the parts myself.

Now, how hard would it be to take all the plastic parts off myself? I do have the service manual but have very limited mechanic skills. (and with very limited I mean almost none. :p)

At $100 per hr labor its not hard to beleive, Its not hard to get them off but easy to break the little tabs off if you don't do it properly, they are a combo of pop out pins, screws and molded in tabs that insert into a slot on adjoining parts, you should get a service manual, if you break one thing it will cost more than the manual, I don't have a manual but maybe someone will scan the page with the directions on it for you. I have removed panels on many bikes so I know how to push, pull and pry gently till I figger it out, I am a graduate of the school of hard knocks which has a very high tuition rate.

Think how much more you will know when you are finished. $1,400 would pay for a lot of broken tabs, but with the manual there shouldn't be any. Take lots of pictures. Keep the fasteners for each part in a separate ziplock bag. Try not to remove the two cables for the seat and tank locks as that is the most fiddlesome assembly. And I'd shop the $600 around a bit too but making sure they knew the plastic composition.

Think how much more you will know when you are finished. $1,400 would pay for a lot of broken tabs, but with the manual there shouldn't be any. Take lots of pictures. Keep the fasteners for each part in a separate ziplock bag.

Thanks for the encouragement, Beemerphile. I think I'll have a go at it because you're right: I'll learn a lot! And I do have the manual so that should make things easier. How much time do you think this would take a novice?

Try not to remove the two cables for the seat and tank locks as that is the most fiddlesome assembly.

Will it become clear what cables and locks you're talking about once I being the work? Cause right now I have no clue. ;)

Also: can I purchase a bag of the little plastic pins anywhere? I have a feeling at least one or two will suffer.

Thanks for the encouragement, Beemerphile. I think I'll have a go at it because you're right: I'll learn a lot! And I do have the manual so that should make things easier. How much time do you think this would take a novice?

Two or three hours? I can do it in about 30 minutes now.

Will it become clear what cables and locks you're talking about once I being the work? Cause right now I have no clue. ;)

The cables attach to the top center cover. If you can just lift it out of the way to release the side covers, it may make things easier. As a flat black item, it wont need off for painting.

Also: can I purchase a bag of the little plastic pins anywhere? I have a feeling at least one or two will suffer.

Honda dealer part. You won't need a bag of them. If you use the ziplock bags you wont lose any and you shouldn't break them. Maybe buy a couple as spares. Push the center to release. Pry the tangs apart and push the center out from the back to reset.

Thanks again! I decided I will do it this weekend. :)

This is the company that will do the paint job for me btw:
CZD_fullScreenFlash

They seem pretty legit and seemed to know about all of the paint.

Good luck with it. Go slow and carefully and you will be fine. On assembly, remember that excessive fastener torque is the most common cause of damage by inexperienced owner-mechanics. There is a tapping screw that holds the two halves of the seat trim together that takes especially little torque! You will also find a couple of these if you separate the colored skin from the base of the trunk lid.

Wouldn't Plasti-dip be the easiest thing to use?

Plasti-Dip is far from being close to the Honda "Darkness Black Metallic" color, which is a glossy black paint with a multicolor metal flake.

BUT, I used Plasti-Dip to cover the light grey plastic cover just behind the front ferder on my black NCX, a lot better than the original color IMO, that light grey is nowhere except on that part....

Does anyone have a particular swatch number for the darkness black metallic color? Handing of the pieces to the painter on Monday and want to be as specific as possible.

Called Honda Canada and their service department told me the color code for the "all black" model is called "nh463". Doesn't mean anything to me but hopefully my paint shop will know what to do with it. Figured I'd share.

PS: bike is now naked:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Back