• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Remove handlebar inner weight

Szoki333

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi!
I bought a new pair of handguards from ebay, but a small problem came up while I was installing it.
I removed the end bar weight and the grip on the clutch-side.
The problem is that I couldnt remove the inner weight.
I have to do it becouse the handguards have their own.
I tried to lubricate it, grab it with pliers, nothing....
kd4zfd.jpg

21ox5io.jpg

2qxlx91.jpg

Ideas will be appreciated!

Look into the end of the handlebar with the outer weight removed. You will see the little black clip tabs sticking out around the perimeter of the inner weight. Both tabs have to be held in while pulling out on the weight. The tabs engage in small holes in the handlebar. Once the tabs are beyond the holes, the inner weights will pull out. I used a long screw (you can use the original screw) to put some outward pulling pressure on the inner weight, and used a small pocket flathead screwdriver to push the tabs in. In as in towards the centerline of the handlebar tube.

If you pull back the rubber grip you will find the holes that those tabs go into. You can then push the tabs in easily from the outside and pull the inner weights out.

I installed hand guards on my bike, that came with very similar (like identical) aluminum inner expansion plug/spacers like that.

What *I* did, was to keep the stock inner weight in the bars, and simply cut the aluminum spacer tube down to the proper length with a hacksaw.

I MADE SURE that I didn't cut the aluminum tube too short, to guarantee that when I tightened the bar end screw to hold the new guards on, that it didn't touch the throttle grip and interfere with it's movement. Very critical, that!

If in doubt of measuring, cut a little bit at a time until proper length achieved.

Longer bar end screws may be neccessary, but I didn't need any myself and was able to reuse the stock ones.

screw in old bolt a little, use a vise grip to lock onto bolt, grab a hammer and bang away at the vise grip until it comes out.

At the risk of repeating myself....I've got a photo guide to help with the removal of the bar end weights - see if it would help you:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1035...ms/5910438509568863665?authkey=CPujn_HJpKvqdQ

Best wishes.

Brilliant on the adding two little metal bits into the handle bar holes, for ease of depressing the inner spring tabs with pliers/vice grips/etc.! :cool:

Also, always the difficulty I have had with the weights, is actually undoing the phillips screw to begin with. Maybe all my bikes have had an assembly robot accidental extra dollop of thread locking compound, but they were real buggers to remove. A little bit of heat from a heat gun directed in a narrow (and careful!) application to the screw head, made undoing the screw a superbly easy affair. :)

Back