• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Recent decrease in MPG's

oldmanaz

Reaction score
Visit site
Over the last couple of months I have noticed a decrease in MPG's. Last one was 59 mpg.

It has been 'cold' here with morning rides in the 30's and 60's in the afternoon. This is commuting to and from work with (unfortunately) no long trips this time of year.

This time last year I did not ride the NC for over 2 months due to a back injury, so I have no comparison.

11,000 miles so far and the first valve adjustment planned for March.

Could this be my issue? Or just the 'cold' morning temps combined with stop-n-go traffic?

Anyone else notice a significant change during 'colder' months?

Mike in So. Arizona

'cold' morning temps combined with stop-n-go traffic really affects mpg. With the dense cold air you will also have lower tire pressure which also affects MPG. I notice about 1.5 lbs decrease for every 10F decrease in temp.

Winter gasoline blends, heavier cold air, and probably heavier lower air fiction garments can all contribute to less mpg.

My mileage always drops when the temperature drops. Heck, I'm in the upper 40's now. I tend to ride fast anyways and when it's near zero, I want to get from A-B as quickly as possible. Cold weather,letting the NC warm up more,winter fuel and 80 mph will definitely drop the mpg.

I'm in southern AZ, too. It's not the weather unless you're using a 40-grade oil. It's not the gasoline, as all my vehicles _except_ the bike are seeing their highest mpg of the year at this time (although my round-trip commute is 75 miles each day, on nearly all freeways).

Check your tire pressure. Just a couple PSI low is easily detectable on my bike.

I, for one, would love to hear whether your valves are tight, loose, or right on when it comes time to check them.

My NCX's mpg has dropped rather dramatically over the past year and a half. It's awful. My last fill-up was only barely above 61 mpg, and I wasn't riding fast! I have one thing left to try, and I'll get to that this weekend, with a little luck.

Best fuel atomization (for power and economy) requires ambient heat and sometimes it's just not there during the winter.

Here in California we have Winter and Summer Blend gasoline. The Winter Blend has more methanol, which decreases MPG on all vehicles. I am sure that's what you are seeing here, Arizona might also run these seasonal fuel blends.

For me, it's not so much a temperature thing or a gasoline blend, as I don't ride my NC often enough day in day out with any kind of consistency to form a pattern, really. I don't commute on mine.

I just notice a drastic difference between my hooligan versus holiday tour mode figures. If I'm mostly running about in the city or blatting about on dirt/gravel and fire roads etc., with no highway or longer distances at a steady speed, I get quite pedestrian mpg's to be honest, lol. Low 50's are easy, high 40's can be produced without overt effort trying to do so, just my un-thrifty use of lots of heavy throttle and heavy braking repeat cycle for the sheer fun of it.

When in touring "Eco (please don't run out of gas... please don't run out of gas... please don't run out of gas...) mode", I can see quite spectacular numbers up in the 80's. :D

I think the blended fuel is what is happening here. According to my Fuelly statistics, the decrease started mid-October. In that time 60mpg seems to be the average with a low of 58.5mpg in early January. Warmer months bring about 66mpg.

Most of my previous bikes were older and not as reliable (or comfortable) as the NC to be daily rider and I never really kept track of MPG's. I have used Fuelly since purchasing this bike and am more aware of 'trends' in fuel economy.

Thanks to all who responded.

lower MPG than usual

Hello folks,

It's been relatively cold here in "Sunny" :) San Diego and since then I started to notice a drastic drop in fuel consumption with my beloved NC.
I used to get roughly 60 mpgs and now its down to 50 mpgs.

is it normal for motorcycles to get lower fuel economy during the winter time (i.e when it is cold outside)? or is it because the gasoline is different?

Back