• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help Rear Shock options

InfernoST

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All
I went to see if I was able to at least the preload on the rear shock of my 2020 to only find that there really isn't any. Do you guys have any suggestions where to get quality reasonably priced replacement shock where both rebound and damping can be adjusted. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi All
I went to see if I was able to at least the preload on the rear shock of my 2020 to only find that there really isn't any. Do you guys have any suggestions where to get quality reasonably priced replacement shock where both rebound and damping can be adjusted. Thank you in advance for your help.

You should be able to adjust the spring preload on your OEM shock. However there is no compression damping or rebound damping adjustment. I am a YSS fan and suggest that You check out their site for availability for your 2020 bike. The price rises with the level adjustability that You require. The basic shock has spring preload and rebound damping adjustment. Unless You have specific requirements for track days or the like, it should do the job. Ensure that You get the correct spring for Your weight with gear.

On my former NC700X and Triumph 1200 Explorer I have used Wilbers to good effect also. They usually are more expensive.

A Griff wrote, you should be able to adjust the spring preload (ride height) on a stock 2020 NCX shock. The notched rings on the top can be rotated, although they are not easy to access. That being said, there is not much to gain by adjusting it; it’s still a budget priced shock.

5E9CCE9C-E5F3-4E28-8750-BD8984C12B92.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi All
Just wondering,
Your "2020" what? NC750X I'm assuming? If so, my rear shock on my 2020 NC750X DCT IS adjustable for preload. I've not messed with it since the ride, at least in fhe short time I've owned it, seems to be fine, at least for my weight of around 245 lbs or so.
Scott

Hi All
I installed the Hyperpro shock on the rear and springs in the fork for my 2023. The shock is not inexpensive, especially with the remote preload adjustment (prices shown below). I bought them based on the review in this video (skip to 11:30 if you only want to learn about the suspension). The shock is great with preload, high speed damping and low speed damping. The springs did help the harshness somewhat. It is definitely better and pretty much what I'd expected (but hoped for more), and the springs are inexpensive.

I bought these from the importer, EPM Performance Imports (732-786-9777, [email protected], Brian Font). They are also a YSS importer.

Hyperpro Shock.jpg
1682103611099.png

I put an Ohlins on the rear of my 2015 DCT with very good results (and racetech fork springs). The Ohlins was about $575 back in 2017. Manual preload adjustment (not remote hydraulic), and rebound adjustment.

I went with the YSS with less bells for my model in September. It worked out $420 USD based on current exchange. I ordered from the UK due to better pricing.

I went with the same Hyperpo as @Cirrusly and I am super pleased with it. I've had them on 3 bikes and they were outstanding in each application. I've added the YSS front springs and emulator on the NC and it is really very good. Though it is a completely different machine, I added YSS shocks to the rear of my Yamaha Xmax 300 and they are better than stock but not substantially. Be careful where you purchase YSS if you go that route. They are frequently counterfeited; I got a pair of the fakes being represented as authentic.

Last edited:
You should be able to adjust the spring preload on your OEM shock. However there is no compression damping or rebound damping adjustment. I am a YSS fan and suggest that You check out their site for availability for your 2020 bike. The price rises with the level adjustability that You require. The basic shock has spring preload and rebound damping adjustment. Unless You have specific requirements for track days or the like, it should do the job. Ensure that You get the correct spring for Your weight with gear.

On my former NC700X and Triumph 1200 Explorer I have used Wilbers to good effect also. They usually are more expensive.
Griff thanks for the info. I know there is a preload adjustment but it isn't much but i will mess with it tomorrow as today I put on a new set of Dunlops but not the OEM Dunlops because I found them to wear horribly but did manage 9K out of them. My goal is to get the bike to settle quicker when hitting the turns currently it takes a bit of time for the rear to settle down when encountering little whoops in the corners which is unnerving. I'm not going to see any track days at my age but still get frisky and want to get on her on occasion. I'll look into your recommendations, thank you. The Bike is a 2020 NC750X Manual.

I went with the same Hyperpo as @Cirrusly and I am super pleased with it. I've had them on 3 bikes and they were outstanding in each application. I've added the YSS front springs and emulator on the NC and it is really very good. Though it is a completely different machine, I added YSS shocks to the rear of my Yamaha Xmax 300 and they are better than stock but not substantially. Be careful where you purchase YSS if you go that route. They are frequently counterfeited; I got a pair of the fakes being represented as authentic.
Thanks for the info and heads up. I traded in my 2012 big Burg which I had from new and put 50K on it, I honestly love that machine there was nothing it couldn't do and would go through the twisties at a ridiculous pace. I would have kept her but Suzuki discontinued her and with that E-CVT that costs 3grand plus to replace I called it and sent her away.

Hey InfernoST,

Posted the following sometime early last year...

"So done a couple 100+ mile jaunts with the RSV4 shock. Ditched the stock Aprilia spring, and put on a stiffer Eibach (from summit). All in @ under $200. Well worth it. Very smooth on the soft settings and pretty easy to adjust those settings. Two up? My pops is only 125lbs., but was pleased with how nice the bike handled shitty roadway surfaces. The stock ride was pretty harsh compared with the current set up. I'm gonna say it is a must swap for any real miles."

Hope this is usefull

I have a Sachs branded Tuono V4 shock on my NC750. Just for info it's not a straight plug and play. You will need some mechanical skills to get it fitted properly, but it's a good and cheap way of getting a lot more adjustability in the rear.

Thanks for the info and heads up. I traded in my 2012 big Burg which I had from new and put 50K on it, I honestly love that machine there was nothing it couldn't do and would go through the twisties at a ridiculous pace. I would have kept her but Suzuki discontinued her and with that E-CVT that costs 3grand plus to replace I called it and sent her away.
You are like the other owners I've read about who absolutely love their Burgs. I'm thinking about the BMW C400GT to replace my Xmax. At first, I dismissed it because it did not perform significantly better than the Xmax. I'm a taller rider though and the C400 has a lot more room for longer legs. It's just more comfortable. Anyhow, we shall see. IT will be her in town in a couple of weeks.

Good luck with the suspension!

Hey InfernoST,

Posted the following sometime early last year...

"So done a couple 100+ mile jaunts with the RSV4 shock. Ditched the stock Aprilia spring, and put on a stiffer Eibach (from summit). All in @ under $200. Well worth it. Very smooth on the soft settings and pretty easy to adjust those settings. Two up? My pops is only 125lbs., but was pleased with how nice the bike handled shitty roadway surfaces. The stock ride was pretty harsh compared with the current set up. I'm gonna say it is a must swap for any real miles."

Hope this is usefull
Where did you source the shock?

Where did you source the shock?
Fleabay. Beautiful condition, shipped to my door. The replacement Eibach spring shipped from Summit. Not at all difficult to put on but had to have a local (with a proper spring press) replace the spring for me. Charged me $30.

So under $200 total. Worth it.

Last edited:
Back