• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear Rack, I want a rack to take the place pf the passenger seat.

+1. Seat makers need to develop a solo seat that matches up with a cargo base in place of the passenger seat, complete with fuel access door/opening.

10433d1386550221-rear-rack-i-want-rack-take-place-pf-passenger-seat-003.jpg

the trouble with this kind of platform is the petrol cap can easily be removed by a low life .
your exposing all yourself to all kind of mishap. unless you can lock it ,I would be dead against.
I had a look at the platform arrangement on my bike.
1st of all it would require a large sheet of metal plate 16" wide at the front,length 16" ,rear width about 15".
imagine a shoe box lid that is roughly what you need to make it secure .
using the rear hinge and two front lugs to lock it as per seat.
I might have to farm it out as I don't have a big enough sheet bender and I'm not going to invest in one.
so it could turn out expensive.
I will need more than just a couple of interest to make it worth while.

I wonder if there is a locking gas cap that will fit the NC.

I think I'm going to try to make something like this, only out of wood as I mainly have woodworking tools.

I made a wooden mounting plate for a GIVI topcase to fit on the Hepco Becker luggage rack on my Guzzi.
P6030004.jpgP6030009.jpg
P6130125.jpg

So today I was out in the garage playing around with an idea for making something like this, and while trying to push bolts though the holes on the bracket for the passenger seat I accidentally pushed out one of the metal bushings (or whatever their called) and it fell down somewhere inside the bike. I think maybe it went in under the gas tank, can't see it anywhere, and didn't seem to fall out on the floor. Am I going to have to pull all the bodywork off to get it out? and if so how do I do that, I don't have a service manual, and I looked around on the forum but can't find anything about removing the body panels

So today I was out in the garage playing around with an idea for making something like this, and while trying to push bolts though the holes on the bracket for the passenger seat I accidentally pushed out one of the metal bushings (or whatever their called) and it fell down somewhere inside the bike. I think maybe it went in under the gas tank, can't see it anywhere, and didn't seem to fall out on the floor. Am I going to have to pull all the bodywork off to get it out? and if so how do I do that, I don't have a service manual, and I looked around on the forum but can't find anything about removing the body panels

Funny you should ask. I just took ALL the painted plastic off my NC today. (I'm going to paint the bike over the winter. The color has been chosen, but I'll hold that as a surprise for when it's done). Removing the panels is best done with the manual as a guide, at least for the first time. There are some fasteners that are hidden, and slots and tabs that you could break if you don't know where they are.

If you don't have the service manual, you can look at these instructions for installing certain accessories, because in doing so many of the panels need removal: Official Honda Accessory Install Instructions - Accessories & Modifications - The Honda NC Owners Forum

Last edited:

I did this once. That sucked! I scratched my head over it for a while then figured out the trick. The flat black panel that's above the rear wheel acts as a catch all. This would be the target piece to get to by removing other body panels. Hit it with an open hand a few times and it might be enough to knock the dropped piece loose. I think I dropped the exact same part when it happened to me. I could hear it drop down a little further each time I hit the panel.

If that doesn't work and you have to disassemble, I'm with 670cc: you want the service manual and you also don't want to do it when it's cold. Plastic snaps so much easier when it's cold!

Good luck!

... I think I'm going to try to make something like this, only out of wood ...

Hi Dennis I'm wondering how this worked out. What kind of wood and how thick did you use. An internet search suggests that Teak might be good???

Yeah, just three bolts, that's why I keep the original rear seat. If anyone wants to ride it's simple to swap out Dale's rear rack with the original seat. My son's girlfriend has expressed an interest in going for a ride. If she says the word I'm ready, after I clear it with him.

sumo; this thread shows the finished product. http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/10100-home-made-rear-rack-gas-hole.html?highlight=rear+rack

It's pine mostly, just scrap wood that I had on hand. I may not ever use it, I can't lift my leg enough to get it over the seat except my swinging it over the rear, so anything on the rack will be in the way. For now I've put the pillion seat back on, it's a simple matter to change it out, just three bolts.
Dennis

Thanks. Good point about getting on and off the bike with stuff piled high where my swinging leg is supposed to go. I hadn't considered that.

Last edited:
I've been on trips where I had a large dry bag strapped to the top of Dale's rack where the only way to mount the bike was to make sure the hand brake on my DCT bike was set, step on the left foot peg, grab the front brake with my right hand, and swing my right leg up and over the dry bag and sit down. Dismounting the bike is the reverse but make sure the bike is on level ground and if your side stand doesn't have one make sure to get a side stand foot ASAP to keep the side stand from sinking into soft ground. Go slow, don't rush this operation.

Back