• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear hugger issues

n30r3l0ad3d

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a R&G rear hugger the other day and got around to installing it this weekend. To my shock, it will not work on my NC. Here's why:

1) The screw they give you to hold the stock philips screw is the wrong thread (thread types do not match). You will strip the head off the new screw if you try to thread it in.
2) The enclosed clamps to hold your rear brake line are too small. Not sure if it's a 2013 model change, but my brake line has an exterior hose around it to protect it from the elements. They enclose 2 zip ties for ABS models, which mine does not have.
3) The left side of the hugger barely clears the chain, and I mean barely. The alignment of the hugger was spot on, but when you tried to get it in the correct position, the chain would in fact HIT the side of the hugger. I put a chain alignment tool just to make sure, and it's dead center.

I am really bummed. I tried everything to make this work, but it will not work. I will call tomorrow and see about either getting my money back or a replacement.

Edit. The place I ordered it from was very cool about taking it back, and are working on a solution for me.

Last edited:
Has others installed the r&g hugger has this problem?

I always afraid that things may not fit. It's frustrating. Hope your able to return it or able to fit it in onto your bike.

I didn't go with r&g, I decided to go for a different look and went with factory M in black. Went in well.

Ken

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 608
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
I bought a R&G rear hugger the other day and got around to installing it this weekend. To my shock, it will not work on my NC. Here's why:

1) The screw they give you to hold the stock philips screw is the wrong thread (thread types do not match). You will strip the head off the new screw if you try to thread it in.
2) The enclosed clamps to hold your rear brake line are too small. Not sure if it's a 2013 model change, but my brake line has an exterior hose around it to protect it from the elements. They enclose 2 zip ties for ABS models, which mine does not have.
3) The left side of the hugger barely clears the chain, and I mean barely. The alignment of the hugger was spot on, but when you tried to get it in the correct position, the chain would in fact HIT the side of the hugger. I put a chain alignment tool just to make sure, and it's dead center.

I am really bummed. I tried everything to make this work, but it will not work. I will call tomorrow and see about either getting my money back or a replacement.

Edit. The place I ordered it from was very cool about taking it back, and are working on a solution for me.

I have the R&G Hugger on my NCXa (Manual with ABS)
I had no problem fitting it, or getting it lined up central.
The screw went in no problem (Just used a dumpy, there isn't much clearance back there)
I was a little disappointed with the brake line 'clamps', two little clips to replace the large Honda hose 'guide', but they fit the hose just fine.
Again a little disappointed at having cable ties to hold the ABS line, something I shall be looking into fixing in the near future.

Point 3 however.... yup, the chain rubs.
Once I realised this I rode for a few Kms, then took the hugger off, out came the dremmel, and I thinned out the area where the chain had left marks (The plastic of the hugger is really thick), remounted, and now I have 2mm of clearance from the chain.
I know this is work, but I like the look of this hugger over many of the others.

That is a really cool looking NC. Good to know I am not the only red one out there :) Love the red on the wheels.

As far as edging out the R&G for chain clearance, I did not want to attempt to.

i have the factory M hugger also does the work really well if only it came in matt black but i just plastidipped mine black...... ;)

Has others installed the r&g hugger has this problem?

I always afraid that things may not fit. It's frustrating. Hope your able to return it or able to fit it in onto your bike.

I didn't go with r&g, I decided to go for a different look and went with factory M in black. Went in well.

Ken

I have the Skidmarx hugger which works fine, but I do like the way the Factory M one extends further back.

Back