• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear brake clicking sound!

mkmclm

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2013 nc700x has developed a clicking sound when I apply the rear brake. There is no vibration or noticeable a noticeable problem with the rear brake but the clicking sound. The bike only had 1200 miles on it. I took it in to the dealership and the diagnosed the problem as bad rollers in the chain. I thought in the back of mind that this is not the problem but I let them replace the chain anyway. I picked up the bike last week and it still makes the clicking sound. I did some research and found a YouTube video of a rider in Europe who was having the same issue on his 750x. Please help me diagnose this issue. [video=youtube_share;bUQgR5ut7o8]http://youtu.be/bUQgR5ut7o8[/video]

i have had other motorcycle and they all make that sound when i hit the brakes. always thought it was normal, i think is from the drill holes in our disc brakes.

I don't think it's a normal sound due to the fact my friend has the exact same bike that does not make the sound. The person who posted the YouTube video stated he had the bike serviced and had the rear brake "Cleaned" and the sound went away. I am not sure what he meant, but I did not have the clicking sound for the first two months after I purchased the bike. It is a relatively new noise.

I'd dissasemble everything and look for places where things could be contacting, caliper hitting the disc bolts, bad pad... anything out of place.

I don't think it's a normal sound due to the fact my friend has the exact same bike that does not make the sound. The person who posted the YouTube video stated he had the bike serviced and had the rear brake "Cleaned" and the sound went away. I am not sure what he meant, but I did not have the clicking sound for the first two months after I purchased the bike. It is a relatively new noise.

i must be deaf. let me see the video again when i get a chance

Improper foot wear may be causing it? To be honest I might not even be able
to hear the sound with helmet and ear plugs, if mine was doing that. Seems like the
problem would have to be the brake pads or the caliper.

If the noise was just a single click every time the brake was applied, I would think it was some play being taken up in the pad or caliper machining tolerances.

From the sound in the video, however, I'm thinking that the clicking is continuous any time the rear brake has pressure? If that is the case, I would think it was some sort of defect in the rotor. Maybe a burr on a drilled hole or along the perimeter. Our rotors are not machined with very tight tolerances, and the outer perimeter is not even cleaned up after being punched. Maybe a piece of road grit made that 1 in a million shot and got wedged against the rotor face and now there is a gouge in the rotor.

Put the bike up on a center stand or wheel stand and rotate the wheel by hand with some light brake pressure. See if you can localize the sound down to a clock position on the rotor and start looking for defects. Also, look on the rotor and pads interfacing surfaces and look for grooves or rings. These could also indicate the position of the flaw.

EDIT: I guess, maybe pad chatter could also cause this sound, but I've never heard pads chatter in a consistent manner like this. It's usually just a small range of speed and pressure where the harmonics of the system line up.

Last edited:
Back