• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rally Raid kit for NC700/750X

Does the kit increase travel and how does it do it ??.
I know the dropped top triple clamp increases fork length .

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

Yes the kit supposedly takes the travel to a respectable 6.5-7 inches according to RR. And it looks like there front fender could be made to fit the NC as well. They machined a longer dampening rod to increase stroke and then removed the plastic spacer and installed longer springs with new preload caps The kit cost 400 bucks USA. So this kit along with the triples is all that you would need to make the front end really nice. The reason I can't be 100% sure that both will work is that the part numbers inside and out are different. And the part number for the triple tree is different as well. That's the kicker. I think I can see why the part numbers are different for the triple tree because the pinch bolts are positioned differently than the NC. The fork there appears to be slight variances to the internals but nothing outrages and there are bushings and spacers that have the same part numbers. When you look at the parts fiche they both have the same amount of parts contained within the shock. Take look at rockymountain atv part fiche and compair for your self.

Last edited:
RR found that the forks had a lot of overlap on the CB so they could use a longer damping rod while still having enough overlap. The CB also uses a long plastic spacer which they eliminated. The NC doesn't have as long of a spacer (based on a pic of the CB spacer). Even though the part numbers are slightly different between the CB and the NC, the use of the spacer makes me think the forks are actually the same and the spacer made the CB travel shorter than the NCs and/or a shorter damping rod which is the ultimate limiter on travel. The drop triple tree gives them enough clearance for the 19" wheel with the increased travel.

RR's stage 1 suspension retains the standard travel.
The stage 2 is the longer travel suspension and drop triple tree. They use a longer rear shock with increased travel to level the bike back out. This does cause an interference issue with the exhaust and requires a dimple to be hammered into the pipe.
Stage 3 is stage 2 suspension plus the wire rims with the front being 19" and the front fender.

I bet the front fender is a direct bolt on to the NC.

RR found that the forks had a lot of overlap on the CB so they could use a longer damping rod while still having enough overlap. The CB also uses a long plastic spacer which they eliminated. The NC doesn't have as long of a spacer (based on a pic of the CB spacer). Even though the part numbers are slightly different between the CB and the NC, the use of the spacer makes me think the forks are actually the same and the spacer made the CB travel shorter than the NCs and/or a shorter damping rod which is the ultimate limiter on travel. The drop triple tree gives them enough clearance for the 19" wheel with the increased travel.

RR's stage 1 suspension retains the standard travel.
The stage 2 is the longer travel suspension and drop triple tree. They use a longer rear shock with increased travel to level the bike back out. This does cause an interference issue with the exhaust and requires a dimple to be hammered into the pipe.
Stage 3 is stage 2 suspension plus the wire rims with the front being 19" and the front fender.

I bet the front fender is a direct bolt on to the NC.

Yes you are correct my exact thoughts on why the part numbers are different. I really think it could work. Maybe a order with the ability to return if it doesn't work would be the thing to do. I think if it did all fit it would be a big increase in sales for them and worth it from a business perspective.

The part that kills me is there are too many similarity's between the too not to take advantage of this which is why I don't understand rally raid not wanting to build any parts for the NC the parts would be so close if not the same. Is it because it has a scooter mentality wtf. Imo the motor is more capable than the cbx off road and better on the street.

If indeed there are crossover parts then it makes no sense .BUT if they have to make new parts then it makes perfect sense.There are far fewer NC's then CBX's I bet and of those with NC's it's a very small % that would want this kit.
I myself don't care about the wire wheels ( I like having tubeless tires ) and the rear shock is a work around with other shocks.I'm very interested in the front fork thought !!!.

Last edited:
If indeed there are crossover parts then it makes no sense .BUT if they have to make new parts then it makes perfect sense.There are far fewer NC's then CBX's I bet and of those with NC's it's a very small % that would want this kit.
I myself don't care about the wire wheels ( I like having tubeless tires ) and the rear shock is a work around with other shocks.I'm very interested in the front fork thought !!!.

From the horses' mouth at OX last year I was told by RR that the bikes are actually quite different and that the crossover of parts was minimal. Specifically I remember we were talking about the wheel and the hub, but I made reference to the shock and the need for increased suspension travel and a softer ride, and remember something of the same. Jenny also said they had one back at their shop in the uk and would look at what parts could crossover and they would sell them then if they could, it i have to wonder wouldn't they have put them up for sale already by now?

I think one of us with more knowledge than I needs to call over there and ask them point blank.

I understand why they picked the CB. It does weigh less. It costs less. It has the traditional higher reving engine while still having "low end torque". From what I understand CB sales are good world wide. That brings up the point that from what I've read in some parts of the world the NC is in a higher price category than it is in the U.S. and the CB is sold in more countries than the NC. I also understand that RR is a relatively small company and the CB kits have sold better than they dreamed so they are scrambling to meet demand which has delayed them in looking at the NC.

I'm mostly interested in the forks too. The issue will be if they would sell the fork improvements separately. right now they only sell them as kit with the rear shock for the CB and won't sell them separately which I kind of understand since they don't want people raising the forks without the corresponding raising of the rear.
I don't particular want tubes either. I don't see much if really any advantage to them on a big bike. you don't drop the tire pressure low enough on a big bike to warrant a tube. Everything I've read says stay at or above 25psi on a big bike when off-road.. Michelin with their new tire has said it was designed to be run at full pressure when off-road.

Off topic........the whole CB makes great low end torque. RR has gone on about how the CB makes low end torque. I just laugh when I read that. I tossed my keys to one of the BMW F800, another supposedly great low end bikes, riders I was with so he could se what real low end torque is. He came back and said Oh I see what you mean. For my riding style where I'm not trying to pretend I'm some great off-road champion, the NC's engine is the best. It is exactly what we wanted in jeeps. No reving the engine to get power which then results in wheel spin. I have immediate torque that get the bike moving with no drama and not having to work the clutch to prevent wheel spin. I'm an advocate of treading lightly and the NC is good at that. Watching training videos from the top endure riders they are all about clutch control and not spinning. I thought I was pretty good at it while the riding the NC until I got the CRF. Then I found out quickly that on the NC I was basically either clutch in or clutch out. I didn't have to slip much on it because it had so much low torque and actually my clutch control ability was poor so now I'm learning clutch control on the CRF. OK off the soapbox.......

Not to mention the wheels RR sell add an additional 10 lbs each wheel of rotating mass to a motorcycle that already is down on torque. Yikes!!!!

Not to mention the wheels RR sell add an additional 10 lbs each wheel of rotating mass to a motorcycle that already is down on torque. Yikes!!!!

Yes that's how it is....! Weight is the first thing we want to get rid of, wheels and exhaust pipes are easily -15 kg if we build spokes wheels and mounts a lightweight slip-on

Here is a first wheel report by my side! And, not least ..... Excel or DiD wheels are 10 times more durable than the original wheel :)

I have a rear wheel already,One older Husqvarna wheels 2.15 x 18 Excel, which is broadening 22mm on the drive side and 11 mm on the disc side, fits right in at the Honda axle with new distances, a little polishing and it works :) (had this on my Varadero XL1000 Africa Queen)

IMG_0209.jpg

Then builds front wheel on this hub. Have bought a silver Excel 1.85 x 19 wheels with spokes.

IMG_1991.jpg

Last edited:
LuckBike's,are you positive your spoke wheels are lighter than the stock cast wheels? RR found that their spoke wheels are not lighter and when you add on knobbie tires and tubes they are a good bit heavier than stock wheels with street tires.

From the horses' mouth at OX last year I was told by RR that the bikes are actually quite different and that the crossover of parts was minimal. Specifically I remember we were talking about the wheel and the hub, but I made reference to the shock and the need for increased suspension travel and a softer ride, and remember something of the same. Jenny also said they had one back at their shop in the uk and would look at what parts could crossover and they would sell them then if they could, it i have to wonder wouldn't they have put them up for sale already by now?

I think one of us with more knowledge than I needs to call over there and ask them point blank.

I talked to RR last week and they said that they are going to offer suspension mods but not wheels at this time.

Here is s completely different direction to go.Honda VT1100c forks are 41mm,about the same length,the front wheel is 19" and it has dual disc brakes !!.
The forks and wheel can be bought for about the same price as a Vstrom wheel ( $300).

Here is s completely different direction to go.Honda VT1100c forks are 41mm,about the same length,the front wheel is 19" and it has dual disc brakes !!.
The forks and wheel can be bought for about the same price as a Vstrom wheel ( $300).

Hey, what an idea :lightbulb:

I wonder if the guts can be configured to allow for the travel needed/wanted? Hopefully at least as much as a stock NCX amount, anyway...

Hey, what an idea :lightbulb:

I wonder if the guts can be configured to allow for the travel needed/wanted? Hopefully at least as much as a stock NCX amount, anyway...

Most cruiser forks are pretty long to give that " chopper" look.

I talked to Chris at woodys wheel here in Colorado he said he would take my wheels so he can take some measurements and see about getting a hub and wheel made. He said he would need about 40 orders to make it cost effective for both party's. That's alot of orders. I'm not really interested in wheels but I am primarily doing it for the NC community out there. At least he will have measurements for the wheel he was also well aware of the cbx.

Last edited:
Ok hopefully some one here can help me out. This would be alot more attainable if I knew for a fact the NC wheels and the cbx wheel are the same. That way I can let the cbx guys know and getting 40 people would be a whole lot easier so if there is anyone here the have both a NC and a cbx could do a mock fit front and rear to see if they work on the cbx. RR says they will not be offering wheels makes me think something is different between the two. Thing is if woodys does a wheel I bet it will be better than the one RR makes and I think he could do a tubeless wheel as well i will have him look at both options.

Last edited:
Back