• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Radiator Guard for under $15.00

Alabama Al

Reaction score
Visit site
100_0396.jpg I found some Expanded steel 1/2" X 12" at Home Depot. Next I wanted something to cover the edges with and looked in the weather stripping department. What I bought was some rubber that would go on glass, it has two sides with sticky stuff for both sides. I mesured the radiator and added 1" to the top and bottom. Then I doubled it over 1/2" all around, cuting out the overlap on the corners. Next install the weather stripping around the edges. I painted it with high heat spray paint. On the radiator there is a fin like thing along the tank, I took a piece of vaccume line and split it down the center and super glued it to the radiator. It is mounted with four 3/8" heavy duty wire ties. If you decide to make this and something happens I am not liable. I rode my NC700X DCT 225 miles yesterday & everything worked ok.

I did something very similar:

IMAG0127.jpg

So far, it works perfectly

I finally got around to making myself one. From the 1' x 2' piece of expanded steel mesh from Lowe's I cut a piece 7.5" by 12.5" and painted it black. I wanted the edges to bear against the metal tanks on the outer part of the radiator.

IMG_9085_zpsd38a3b76.jpg

To cushion it and prevent any scuffing wear against the radiator tanks I took some 1/4" ID fuel hose and cut to length and slit it lengthwise. Zip ties secure it to the mesh.

IMG_9090_zpsccb20d34.jpg

Zip tied in place.

IMG_9094_zpsd1b02b46.jpg

This was a really easy project to do and total cost was $11.50 not including the black spray paint I had in the garage. I am glad I saw Alabama Al's and Duk2n's posts.

Thx for excellent idea, I ended up doing it following your step by step guide. Here are couple of pictures, someone might use them as i did looking at yours

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It fits nicely in the inner space of the radiator, so no issues with touching forks when turned either way to max.

Back