• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question ->

VE258

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all! in my spare time i like to mess with various ideas (and materials) that randomly come into my head..here is one of them-
f06243b39b4b.jpg

c9eb45ef3de6.jpg

5eed89943be9.jpg

6d7e44a245e4.jpg

the idea is to create a small, universal, flexible wind deflector out of something flexible (on pictures i've used 2 component urethane resin) that rider can stick to the side of his bike to deflect air from the knees and also protect sides of the bike in case of something like a low speed crash. as you can see you can install it in array(?). it's flexible enough to be installed on lower cover (where OEM deflector goes)
as you can see on the pics it can be installed upside down. and you can stick it to any bike,scooter etc. as long as it have the side fairings. keep in mind-this is just a "prototype". very rough one.
i've searched the internet,but unable to find anything similar to it. does such thing exists? i'm reinventing the wheel here?
would it be useful for riders or it's just stupid,useless idea?
any thoughts (negative and positive) will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Well, you asked, so . .

I think for anything to be effective at actually deflecting the wind, they'd need to be 3 or more times that size. And then, they'd probably look hokie. But, like the Honda deflectors, some people might be interested just for looks, or maybe because they don't expect much wind deflection.

I think that area could benefit from some type of deflector, but personally I'd rather have something larger and of clear plastic that was functional but did not detract from the looks of the bike too much.

It's definitely a cool idea, though.

Definitely looks good. I would be interested if you are able to actually test the airflow.

Just a thought, take some yarn and tape a few strands to each one and see what direction they go. It's not the most scientific but I have seen guys test their windscreens this way and it seems reasonably effective for that purpose.

Primum non Nocere

if someone has a 3D printer with some CAD experience those plastic pieces can easily be created. and sold for 1/3 of the prices that honda OEM sell them. and they could be made in any size.

anyone has a 3D printer?

if someone has a 3D printer with some CAD experience those plastic pieces can easily be created. and sold for 1/3 of the prices that honda OEM sell them. and they could be made in any size.

anyone has a 3D printer?

agreed. But, . .

I'd guess Honda has better than 300% profit in their deflectors, too. :rolleyes: Price them at what people will pay, not what they cost to make.

Last edited:
I would guess that the high price of the official American Honda accessories is related to the potential market which honestly is very small; especially since it won't fit on any other Honda models.

Something bigger? how about 3/4" PVC Pipe and black rubbermaid plastic?
Keeps the wind off my knees just fine.

fairing01.jpg

anyone has a 3D printer?

It'd need to be ABS (pla breaks down in sunlight) and I've not managed to keep ABS from peeling off the print bed and warping during my prints yet (think I need to enclose the print bed to keep things warm in there).

Matching what the OP has photo'd would be easy, but getting into anything larger (and more effective at moving air) involves larger forces pushing against the deflector and I'd worry about the strength of something that was printed...

It'd need to be ABS (pla breaks down in sunlight) and I've not managed to keep ABS from peeling off the print bed and warping during my prints yet (think I need to enclose the print bed to keep things warm in there).

Matching what the OP has photo'd would be easy, but getting into anything larger (and more effective at moving air) involves larger forces pushing against the deflector and I'd worry about the strength of something that was printed...

If you can print with PLA, then print the negative as a mold, sand the inside to get a smooth finish, and cast 2 part urethane (or maybe that rubber flex seal stuff they're hawking on TV) in the mold, to make parts.

then use a 2 sided adhesive tape to fasten to the bodywork (or test with hot glue because it's removable with a little heat, once the test is positive for results, affix permanently).

that way if and when it does work to your expectations, you can make more parts from the PLA mold.

I've been working with 3D CAD and 3D printing for 25 years, it can be a wonderful technology, but it does have it's limitations. What most folks don't realize, the printing filament is expensive and the process is time consuming, BUT when you can make 1 piece (pattern/mold) and replicate from that pattern, it has great value.

yes I do have a printer at home, I also have a laser cutter and plastic bender, so making shaped clear acrylic parts is possible up to 18" x 24" (size of my cutting bed)

i'm thinking like more like 670cc, what type of clear wind deflector might work well?

someone make a suggestion, maybe I can try to see what we can make. I have NO farkles, no bars to mount anything to, so let's think "stock bike" when we come up with ideas

Last edited:
I think for anything to be effective at actually deflecting the wind, they'd need to be 3 or more times that size.
this is exactly what i need. an advise from experienced rider.
making them bigger-isn't a problem. even 3 times wider than those above-they still will be cheaper to make than OEM. like i said-if there is enough interest-it will be only matter of time to get close to OEM quality(keep in mind-that OEM is plastic,this is resin that cant' be painted. it's can only be colored as a whole.
3D printer and ABS-guys..we are mixing couple things here. the idea is to create something that can be attached to ANY bike, not just to NC. while printing\casting something from ABS or any plastic-you have to address number of things and curve of the fairing will be just one of them. it's changing, as it goes down and make it perfect will be hard. and you have to make that fit for every bike on the market,if you want to sell volume. and again-ABS won't prevent your bike from being scratched, if you laid it on the side. something like this-will.
anglachel was correct about UV and printing time. you can't use it for even for a limited number of copies. and quality won't be good at all.
as for 3d modeling soft-for this particular project (3D model,not machining the mold on my little CNC) i used 123 design. free for everyone and relatively easy to use

Autodesk 123D Design

I've been working with 3D CAD and 3D printing for 25 years, it can be a wonderful technology, but it does have it's limitations. What most folks don't realize, the printing filament is expensive and the process is time consuming, BUT when you can make 1 piece (pattern/mold) and replicate from that pattern, it has great value.
imo-any current consumer grade 3D printer wont give you enough quality.machining it on CNC is much easier and faster and way better. even on my crappy homemade CNC that was sturdy enough only to cut something like HDPE or wood -the quality and accuracy was amazing. after few passes from different angles the prototype (or machined mold) doesn't even need any sanding\finishing at all. it such a fun to have something like this at home. cant' get enough of it.:)

15a8bc2837de.jpg

3D model, mold. actual item. all-in one day(except paint off course)
and every single detail of the model was there
d2ac48d9a124.jpg

3482a8ef01b3.jpg

feb287a161f3.jpg

bc3866b8febe.jpg

this is some stuff based on video game

imo-any current consumer grade 3D printer wont give you enough quality.machining it on CNC is much easier and faster and way better. even on my crappy homemade CNC that was sturdy enough only to cut something like HDPE or wood -the quality and accuracy was amazing. after few passes from different angles the prototype (or machined mold) doesn't even need any sanding\finishing at all. it such a fun to have something like this at home. cant' get enough of it.:)

There are things that can't be 3d printed, and things that can only be 3d printed.
There are things that can't be machined, and things that can only be machined.
Laser Cutters will make quick work of tasks that would be challenging for a CNC or a 3d printer.

Right tool for the right job.

Though we do live in fascinating times when the facilities for manufacturing are available at a consumer level like this.

The means of production are shifting, and Marx is turning in his grave as the proletariat are rising in a way he never envisioned.

anyone has a 3D printer?
We have about a $26k 3D printer here in our school and I'm afraid the cost of the material alone would be too expensive to make it worthwhile. 3D printing is great for prototyping or model-making but not so economical for most manufacturing. Oh, and it takes forever..it is one very slow process!

If on the other hand you are manufacturing expensive Aircraft, Defense, or Medical widgets using 3D printers the cost isn't much of a problem, as those customers aren't searching Ebay and Google looking for better deals...Unlike the cheapskates NC700 riders are ;-)

I think selling a pair of "wind spoilers" to a handful of motorcycle riders for $20 while trying to make any money would be a challenge using a 3D printer.

To the OP...Why do I want to buy these and not the factory ones? Price? Performance?

Factory fairing spoiler:

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all! in my spare time i like to mess with various ideas (and materials) that randomly come into my head..here is one of them-
f06243b39b4b.jpg

c9eb45ef3de6.jpg

5eed89943be9.jpg

6d7e44a245e4.jpg

the idea is to create a small, universal, flexible wind deflector out of something flexible (on pictures i've used 2 component urethane resin) that rider can stick to the side of his bike to deflect air from the knees and also protect sides of the bike in case of something like a low speed crash. as you can see you can install it in array(?). it's flexible enough to be installed on lower cover (where OEM deflector goes)
as you can see on the pics it can be installed upside down. and you can stick it to any bike,scooter etc. as long as it have the side fairings. keep in mind-this is just a "prototype". very rough one.
i've searched the internet,but unable to find anything similar to it. does such thing exists? i'm reinventing the wheel here?
would it be useful for riders or it's just stupid,useless idea?
any thoughts (negative and positive) will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Air deflectors usually try to flow air away from the body.
IMO, it is time someone came up with a dual purpose design
that can also deflect air towards the body let's say for cold weather riding.
the deflectors would blow the hotter air from the engine towards the body.
Of course during summer months you just flip them around and deflect them away.
Also, have some led or reflectors on them for 'blinky'(sp?) effects.

There are things that can't be 3d printed, and things that can only be 3d printed.
There are things that can't be machined, and things that can only be machined.
Laser Cutters will make quick work of tasks that would be challenging for a CNC or a 3d printer.

Right tool for the right job.

Though we do live in fascinating times when the facilities for manufacturing are available at a consumer level like this.

The means of production are shifting, and Marx is turning in his grave as the proletariat are rising in a way he never envisioned.

yep! totally agree!
3d-printed-sugar-cubes-designboom01.jpg

you can't machine something like that. specially-from sugar! :)

Air deflectors usually try to flow air away from the body.
IMO, it is time someone came up with a dual purpose design
that can also deflect air towards the body let's say for cold weather riding.

Sounds like you are describing Baker Built Air Wings.

that looks more like the laminar defeaters they put on the edges of airfoils to improve low speed performance. I think it'd be more likely to actually pull more air towards your knees.

Back