• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Preparing for holigan 10day 2700 miles

I wanted a minimalistic chair but couldn't find one.

I saw one of those camp chairs that easily packs on a motorcycle for about $15 at Walmart. You might check there.

67b49207-a42d-410f-8744-51e1b72d9265_1.302d651629e540877b8ac81bce7cdd94.jpg

Full helmet or 3/4 open face helmet?

I still have my full helmet from when I used to ride my SV650, but ever since I got the Sportster and now the NC, all I wear is my open face helmet, but must of my riding is in town. I must admit that the few times I hop on the freeway, I am always concern of a car spitting back a proyetile object into my face.
I'm a believer in full face. Read a study of helmets involved in crashes and over 50% showed impact in the chin area. I killed a blue bird with the chin of my helmet. Flew up from side of road and timed it just right to miss my windshield and hit the chin of my helmet. That would have hurt with an open face helmet. Actually it did hurt the bird. He didn't survive.

I'm a believer in full face. Read a study of helmets involved in crashes and over 50% showed impact in the chin area. I killed a blue bird with the chin of my helmet. Flew up from side of road and timed it just right to miss my windshield and hit the chin of my helmet. That would have hurt with an open face helmet. Actually it did hurt the bird. He didn't survive.
I am with you, for the longest time all I had was my full face helmet, although I have come to enjoy the 3/4 helmet alot ever since I got it to the point that I don't remember last time I used it.

Now, for this long adventure, traveling through very challenging roads that are totally unknown to me it only makes sense for me to take the full face helmet I have.

Now, for sports bike where you leaning forward, full face helmet are perfect because their autodyamics, but when you seatting up straight, I just dont like the feel of it, and on top of that add the windshield turbulence hitting the top of the helmet and that will make for a hurrible 2700 miles.

So, I been going nuts reading reviews about windshields to the point I am nauseous about the whole dilema, from what it seems, if you don't spent $300 on a windshield, which I don't have, then I will be wasting my money, there are plenty of different models around $150 but from the reviews, there are no better then the stock.

I am looking into an option of an articulated bracket to be used with the stock windshield to help you adjust it better to your likings, but that bracket is also expensive and am running out of time place my order.

So at this point am just consider to just get rid off the stock shield, leave it naked, take the blast on the chest and ride the full face helmet.

The only feasoble option is the Amazon puig for $122 or the ebay powerbronze for $85, but the shipping on the powerbronze is not as quick and reliable as Amazon prime.

Plus I have not found that many reviews on the powerbronze.

Most say that if you under 5'8 that you will be fine with any shield, but to knowing my luck, I can never claim to be tall, but I never enjoy the perks of being short either, so if I do get the shield, most likely I will be right at the edge, where am still affected by the turbulence...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

So, I been going nuts reading reviews about windshields to the point I am nauseous about the whole dilema, from what it seems, if you don't spent $300 on a windshield, which I don't have, then I will be wasting my money, there are plenty of different models around $150 but from the reviews, there are no better then the stock.
I wouldn't overthink this, maybe bite the bullet, leave the stock screen on and use the money for the unexpected needs during the trip. Make needed fixes for the future trips after your return.

When I traded up from my '12 to '16 DCT, I had to wait until Madstad fabricated an updated mount for the '16. I still went on a long trip with the stock screen and survived! I didn't like the wind that my Madstad previously blocked, but I still enjoyed my trip. Later I got my Madstad mounted and returned to being a happy camper again. Just my 2 cents.

Ray

Last edited:
What about one of those attachments that go's on top of your current screen?

I use the Puig and an added 4" lip. I'm 5'10" and it's great on the Highway.
I ride 100% of the time in a full face helmet as... I value my face, but the buffeting is pretty much zero...
Love the Puig.

I use the Puig and an added 4" lip. I'm 5'10" and it's great on the Highway.
I ride 100% of the time in a full face helmet as... I value my face, but the buffeting is pretty much zero...
Love the Puig.

Good to hear a positive review from someone here on the forum who uses the device, because the Amazon reviews are getting so twisted I don't know who to trust anymore. Some people would rate an item 5 starts just because they were able to install it...

What is the 4 inch lip that you referring, the clip on visor?

Because the clip on visor is an extra $100 dollars and that bump the cost of the whole setup to $250, which point it is best to invest on a shield that doesn't require any add-on clip-on devices...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't overthink this, maybe bite the bullet, leave the stock screen on and use the money for the unexpected needs during the trip. Make needed fixes for the future trips after your return.

When I traded up from my '12 to '16 DCT, I had to wait until Madstad fabricated an updated mount for the '16. I still went on a long trip with the stock screen and survived! I didn't like the wind that my Madstad previously blocked, but I still enjoyed my trip. Later I got my Madstad mounted and returned to being a happy camper again. Just my 2 cents.

Ray
I am with you, I agree and screw it am just going to save my pennies and ride.

I mean, I understand, in whatever is that we are embarking, we would like to be as comfortable as possible, but when the we get so involved in the preparation that our mission looses its meaning its focus and its goal, then we have a problem.

It is totally okay for us to try to make our bikes as perfect for our needs as possible, but when that gets in the way of progress and happiness, then is time to switch gears.

I don't know how I got involved in this whole windshield mess, but really, is not even that important.

I started the idea of this trip to do it as minimalistic and cost expensive as possible and some how I have lossed focus and spent valuable hours reading and researching stuff that in the end, I can survive without.

This is what this trip for me is mostly about, survival, change of pace, getting lost, running away from myself, and doing something to remember, exploring, meeting new people, new places, making new friends, trusting strangers, etc.

All I really care is Making sure I bring enough warm stuff cause I don't enjoy feeling cold or getting harassed by mosquitoes.

Honda has sold thousands of this model, and not every owner has replaced or upgrade their windshields, most have deal with it and survived.

So lets ride....

What about one of those attachments that go's on top of your current screen?
I taught of that, because it seems those reflectors is what really makes the difference. The stock windshield might be just perfect, it just need a reflector, that is an idea, I will look into a reflector.

That is the bottom line, screw everything snd just make it happen, ride...

No matter what windshield I put on my bike, what matters is the being able to go places, healthy and able...

Check amazon and search backpacking chair....lots of options at great prices.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

After doing laundry a whole bunch of other stuff, I got to do something on the bike, I did the seat slope mod, it only took me all but 10 min.

I used a plumbing pipe bracket .46 cents, and it turned out after I flatten the bracket and reshape it, I only had to drill one hole. The bracket already had a pre drill hole that matched the location of a present 10mm screw.

I used Walmart chairs stumps for the support, the whole setup ended being so perfectly tight that I didn't have to glue or drill the support stumps.

I have not gone for a ride, but I did sat on the bike and did notice the pressure on the inner thighs, the seat has a sharp age by your groins, and if you raise the seat too much you will feel the pressure, so tomorrow I am going to cut about 1/4inch from the stumps so that the seat is balanced and neutral.... I went from sloping forward to almost sloping backwards.

Here is a collage of the project...

0cb1856a46297accf88a465b14164098.jpg

I wanted to do other mods awaiting on my list, but the sun light started to fade so I picked up the tools and call it a day...

It was time to go get a little rum and coke...

On my way to the liquor I got to spend times with the cows while watching the sunset, what a quiet boring crowd :)

5cd9183035f48c03d8dcf4af657024b8.jpg

d67f22a8ca4155306efdbe36c30d1555.jpg

403e749d0b3b4338c808a5ed13b3de26.jpg

Now just sitting on my porch also known as Florida room, sipping on some rum and coke with peanuts, listening to the Gold 99.5 FM oldies...

Hotel California just played, and the good acoustic continues with American Pie, that was some good music, loving these tunes, this station is the best on a Sunday evening...

d8e1bdb9d1214ce68e118aa7d70df2fb.jpg

fea09f277775308a80c96ce80b66560f.jpg

This morning I had to go the ATM, total desolation, no one soul in sight, I loved it....

37e911e7a468a6f97913022dd8d0428c.jpg

I have the 22" Cee Bailey's windshield (I am 5'10") with 32" inseam. I like it. Is it perfect-no, is it better than stock-hell yes. The 20" is $130 and the 22" is $140 direct from Cee Bailey: Cee Baileys - Honda NC700X Windshield 2012-Up Motorcycle Windshield
Thanks for pointing that particular windshield, I did look into those, I emailed their customer support with questions but didn't hear back from them.

I made a realization, that most windshields by itself doesn't completely eliminate the top buffering which also makes it noisy to be behind the shield.

The adjustable visor on top is what makes the difference no matter if it is the oem or aftermarket shield. I read reviews from a lot of people praising how they were able to fix the buffer with their current shield.

For that reason I will be purchasing a generic visor that I found with great reviews, that way it can be moved from bike to bike since it is not an NC700X specific item, making my investment more valuable and the solution more long lasting even if I change bikes.
694f0c8ebdbced2278a15086d0020ee8.jpg
58093f97ce4a4d61a1cf299fd9f3078b.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have this spoiler blade on my 22" Vstream screen and it makes all the difference in the world. Would have probably sold the bike if I couldn't get the buffeting (and noise) squared away. Mine is bolted on.

Back