• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Preparing for holigan 10day 2700 miles

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have this spoiler blade on my 22" Vstream screen and it makes all the difference in the world. Would have probably sold the bike if I couldn't get the buffeting (and noise) squared away. Mine is bolted on.
Yep I hear you on that...

I took a beating this morning on my way to the bike shop with the stock shield and a full face helmet, I rather eliminate the shield all together or just wear my open face helmet.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I wouldn't blame the shop for charging you $65. That's the business they're in. They don't do their service for free or at a loss. If it bothers you then don't take it to them.

All those things would have taken you about a half hour to do yourself. That's some really basic maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yep I hear you on that...

I took a beating this morning on my way to the bike shop with the stock shield and a full face helmet, I rather eliminate the shield all together or just wear my open face helmet.

Some days are good other days not so good. Here is the story!

I am already used to all the noise and turbulence with the open face helmet, it has become part of the experience of having your face into the open road...

but the full face amplifies the noise by the turbulence plus I feel so disconnect and to a point cloterfofic, like enclosed, trapped, not what riding a bike should be.

You can get an inexpensive full face helmet with a built in sun-shield and ride with the outer shield up and the sun shield down (this only comes down just past the eyes and usually just above the nose area. I wear a modular with the same built-in sun shield and ride this way 90% of the time-the only time the outer shield comes down is if I get caught in the rain. You can also wear ear plugs which will reduce the noise (I have customized ear plugs made for my ear canal and reduces most sound).
Here is an example of an inexpensive full face with the internal shield:
Bilt Viper Helmet - Cycle Gear

When going long distances, most riders pack too much stuff. If the bike is in good mechanical condition, you shouldn't need many if any tools along the way-maybe tools to adjust the chain and some chain lube; small 12V air compressor and tire plugs may come in handy. You don't need to take too many clothes; every small town has a laundromat and in 1.5-2 hours, all your clothes can be washed (with hair shampoo doubling as clothes soap-a little goes a long way). If you are camping, a small tent, sleeping bag/pad, pillow (t-shirts stuffed into jacket can double as a pillow), small camp chair can be useful. Depending on how you are going to eat (if not eating in restaurants), some type of small cooking utensils; in the areas you are planning on riding, there are small stores everywhere you can buy food (no need to pack much).

I like modular helmets and ride with the shield up a lot, but prefer cycle sunglasses to any inbuilt sun visor -- it doesn't seem as much like what I see with the naked eye and gets too dirty too easy from riding off pavement.

mine usually grinds when trying to drop it down in fact, from dust in the mechanism ; }

I rode to work with the open face and what a difference, I love it.

The only thing about open face is if it rains it can be a pain, but I don't ride on the rain anyways, I stop under the bride and wait or get a hotel.

This is trip is about joy and enjoyment, not torture, I understand all the risk of open face, but for the bike, My height, my posture and all that, the open face is more tolerable with the stock windshield.

I can only imagine me riding all those beautiful roads breathing fresh air...

So excited, looking forward to it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Ironbunny, didn't see it (may have missed it); when is your 10 day trip? Also, what part of northern Florida do you live (in the pan handle or closer to the I-75/I-95 corridor)?

Hey Ironbunny, didn't see it (may have missed it); when is your 10 day trip? Also, what part of northern Florida do you live (in the pan handle or closer to the I-75/I-95 corridor)?

Lake City, I know the leader likes back roads, but must likely we will be heading up on 75 into Georgia.

You are more then welcome to join us it will be fun, we will be going all the way north to ride the skyline drive in Virginia, then we will do the whole blue ridge parkway, then the snake, moonshine, tail of the dragon, and other popular motorcycle roads that I never heard of and that will brings us back to Georgia. All this time there will be a mix of camping and Hotels.

So in about 8 days we will be covering a lot of grounds, pretty much the whole smokies mountain area GA NC TN VA.

Should be fun, looking forward to it...

A bunch of us on here are meeting up at Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah, NC this weekend (about 20 miles from the Dragon). If you guys are in the area, stop by and say 'hi'. Even though I live in Indiana, my wife lives outside of Gainesville Fl (15 miles west) and I drive thru Lake City 3-4 times a year to visit her. Next time I visit, I'll give you a shoutout. I keep a Kawasaki KLX250sf in storage at her house.

Lake City, I know the leader likes back roads, but must likely we will be heading up on 75 into Georgia.

You are more then welcome to join us it will be fun, we will be going all the way north to ride the skyline drive in Virginia, then we will do the whole blue ridge parkway, then the snake, moonshine, tail of the dragon, and other popular motorcycle roads that I never heard of and that will brings us back to Georgia. All this time there will be a mix of camping and Hotels.

So in about 8 days we will be covering a lot of grounds, pretty much the whole smokies mountain area GA NC TN VA.

Should be fun, looking forward to it...

If planning to ride Blue Ridge Parkway, Dragon area and north Georgia I STRONGLY recommend a set of maps from America Rides Maps. America Rides Maps

The man who makes them spends all his time riding the roads and giving updates of conditions on his web and facebook page. Maps are durable and sized to flod into a map pocket on tank bag. The detail and road comments are awesome.

I rode 200+ miles of parkway last Monday from Asheville to Fancy Gap. Always a nice ride. The best of the parkway is the other way from Asheville towards Cherokee. More park rangers patrolling than I have ever seen. They didn't pay attention to me at around 10 mph over speed limit, but I hear their tickets can be pricey. If you want to enjoy the view use the pull outs. Looking while riding will have you off a cliff on the twisty road.

In north Georgia check out TWO Wheels of Suches. A great motorcycle campground, They also have low cost A frame cabins with two single beds. No facilities in cabins but close to bath house and towels are provided in cabins. If just passing through a great place for lunch on weekends.

I have ridden all of the Blue Ridge Parkway and then continued and rode all of Skyline Drive (Skyline Drive is in the national park and cost $$ to ride/drive it). When I rode both roads, I was with two other riders and we rode the speed limit (took a long time with 35-45mph speed limits). Those tickets can be pricey, since they are federal tickets and I think (I may be wrong) and you have to go to federal court to pay the fines.

Good stuff, great info is always welcome, I can use all the help that I can get.

When set out to the unknown, no matter what it's always fun, but tips and advice from those who have been there can enhance the experience even further, reduce the cost of mistakes and save time.

There are always many of ways to eat the elephant, I always liked best the guided toured to save on the headaches.

Our leader already warned us about the 35mph, these are older riders out to enjoy a vacation, no crutch rocket insanity that I know is coming along.

I want to enjoy this experience to the max, take a lot of pictures, but must important I want to survive evert single day and come home to my family, that is my main focus, stay alive even if it requires riding at 10MPH, make it back home!

If any of you are ever riding to my area, am sure I could make suggestions and point out things to do, things and places to stay away from and share my experiences at different venues, roads and activities.

And if any of you could do the same for me, I greatly appreciate that.

Thanks a bunch!

A bunch of us on here are meeting up at Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah, NC this weekend (about 20 miles from the Dragon). If you guys are in the area, stop by and say 'hi'. Even though I live in Indiana, my wife lives outside of Gainesville Fl (15 miles west) and I drive thru Lake City 3-4 times a year to visit her. Next time I visit, I'll give you a shoutout. I keep a Kawasaki KLX250sf in storage at her house.
Definitely do, I know the area very well, and will be delighted to join you two for a meal and a ride... I will keep in touch, maybe we will run into each other up in the mountains , I am following a group so I am tied to them and can't bear off too far, but it will be great to meet up any how.

Trip update...

Everything seems to be in place, the leader and I met today to check all my equipment, my packing and all that...

But then we got to talk about weather, and it seems like rain all the way from Saturday to Wednesday, basically the best and most exciting part of the trip will be riding wet, challenging roads that am not familiar under wet condition.

Camping everyday under the rain, not fun...

It will only start to clear out when we make it back to Georgia, one day before wrapping up the trip.

Am at the locksmith done making spare kieys for the bike, and waiting the rain to slow down because it already started pouring...

:(

f99278d3bfc443f191f520d818e5a5fb.jpg

There is a point in life when we grow up, we learn to be honest about who we are and what we like and we also learn to be more conscious of our time and money investment and our safety.

One thing is for me to get caught in unexpected bad weather, or ensure one day of bad weather in a exchange for a whole week of good weather...

But to head out into the storm knowing that bad weather is ahead waiting for you, not for me so I cancelled.

I called my job and was able to get back into the schedule for this coming week.

Instead I will be departing next weekend to join the group on their last night of camping and their first dry camping night...

This solution actually works the best for me...

I know me enough at this point to predict how much of a miserable time I would be having in the mud camping under a down pour, not for me, I prefer sunshine!

This is what it looks here now and this is I imagine looking over there for most of the week... Pure Gray!

36c1a81037c071afc39887978a00a549.jpg

Today it is so gray that it's only merit is to stay home relax and forget the outdoors... Cheers!
aec510dfaf607b7e6f36cbe6f66754f9.jpg

Back