• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Poll DCT or Standard what do you have what do you want?

DCT or Standard What do you have or want

• Standard

Votes: 58 50.4%
  • DCT

Votes: 57 49.6%

• Total voters
You can ride a Goldwing 1800 using just two gears: second and fifth. DCT would be overkill on an engine with such a wide powerband.

I suspect though, that one day the 'Wing will have a DCT.

I bought the manual as I enjoy running through the gears, but the more I learn about the DCT the more I'm interested. I have DSG in my VW and love it. Not so different in concept.

I am curious about the shifting speed. One of the fun/cool things about VWs DSG is that it can 'arguably' shift faster than a human with a manual (all else being equal). Can the same be said of the DCT on these NCs?

I bought the manual as I enjoy running through the gears, but the more I learn about the DCT the more I'm interested. I have DSG in my VW and love it. Not so different in concept.

I am curious about the shifting speed. One of the fun/cool things about VWs DSG is that it can 'arguably' shift faster than a human with a manual (all else being equal). Can the same be said of the DCT on these NCs?

No idea, seems as fast as I can shift thought the gears on my girlfriends CBR250R. Up shifting at redline is super fast. Never had an instance where I wished it would shift faster up a gear.

Downshifting is another story. It has to do 1 at a time. Although, in sport mode, in the "mountains" of Galena IL I never had an issue of being in the wrong gear at the wrong time, and I was booking it. The can-am spyder I was riding with couldn't keep up with me and the Toyota MR2 Spyder that was taking the lead.

No idea, seems as fast as I can shift thought the gears on my girlfriends CBR250R. Up shifting at redline is super fast. Never had an instance where I wished it would shift faster up a gear.

Downshifting is another story. It has to do 1 at a time. Although, in sport mode, in the "mountains" of Galena IL I never had an issue of being in the wrong gear at the wrong time, and I was booking it. The can-am spyder I was riding with couldn't keep up with me and the Toyota MR2 Spyder that was taking the lead.

So you're happy with yours?

I'm not sure how to vote...I have a manual, but after trying the BMW 650GT scooter and the electric motorcycle, I wish I had gotten the DCT. I love the manual, but the DCT is just turn the throttle and go. You're never in the wrong gear. I wish the dealer had both available so I could have compared the two. Oh well, next time around, maybe.

Ya, the poll is confusing. It asks two questions, but only gives one response choice. Luckily for me, they were both the same answer. I WANTED THE DCT!! And I love the DCT!!!!

Ya, the poll is confusing. It asks two questions, but only gives one response choice. Luckily for me, they were both the same answer. I WANTED THE DCT!! And I love the DCT!!!!

I did realize this after the fact I did not see a way to change it if there is I will fix it. Please let me know. I did not mean to confuse anyone I drive for my primary transportation one of the oldest forms of motorcycle technology a Ural Gobi Gear-Up year round (it is great in the snow). Now for a second bike I am leaning to the other end of the spectrum NCX with DCT and ABS.

Get the DCT... You won't be disappointed.... I haven't been around as long as some people here, but even some old school bikers on this forum have mentioned that they wont go back to standard trans after owning one..... That's gotta say something.....

Hey everyone, my very first post! Got my NC700x 2 days ago and am in love with this bike. I've had many many bikes, but this excites me more than most. I got the DCT (red) for some reasons mentioned here already. I wanted ABS and like the fact that I can go into manual shift mode and be in full control, and even do it better and faster than a clutch / shifter. But one of the biggest reasons I wanted the DCT was because LA traffic can get bothersome on the clutch hand. Lastly, I never have to worry about the rev limiter. My lil Honda always knows what gear to be in. I do have to say, I wish there was one more setting, right between D and S mode. D is extreme quick shifts and sometimes S waits too long. Most of the time, D is just fine though. :)

I'm curious how DCT handles/needs down-shifting - which I do 97.5% of the time when approaching a red light. Do you folks with DCT hit the "-" button or does releasing the throttle accomplish the same thing?

As soon as the rpm's lower to a point the bike downshifts... I never really downshift manually, unless it's to accelerate quicker.
If you slam the brakes, the bike will dump through the gears fast.... But you cannot just grab a clutch and shift down to neutral while braking... You gotta let her cycle down the gears on her own.... But she does a good job....

I'm curious how DCT handles/needs down-shifting - which I do 97.5% of the time when approaching a red light. Do you folks with DCT hit the "-" button or does releasing the throttle accomplish the same thing?

What JF said but when you are in S mode you get more braking. I don't use engine braking for normal stops but I do use it for steep hill descents. Manually stepping down though the gears works well and the DCT prevents you from downshifting too fast which might cause loss of control. I have been using S mode in hilly terrain so that I have to use less brake around downhill curves. This is slightly dangerous however because by using engine braking only I am showing no brake lights to the cagers on my tail.

Back