• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Poll DCT or Standard what do you have what do you want?

DCT or Standard What do you have or want

• Standard

Votes: 58 50.4%
  • DCT

Votes: 57 49.6%

• Total voters
Bought my NT700 in April. Have 4500 miles already. It is very top heavy, and doesn't have much low rpm torque.
I'm considering an NC700 for the lighter weight, lower center of gravity, better low rpm torque output, and better fuel economy.
None of the local dealers have a DCT available in stock. They are going to call if one comes in for a test drive. I THINK I would prefer the DCT with ABS, but I want to drive it first.
My only concern switching to the NC700 is the lack of wind and weather protection when touring. BOTH bikes apparently have a terrible stock seat that requires upgrading.

If I had to do it over, I would probably get the DCT. It was not in stock when I bought, but I also was somewhat on the fence about the seat height, so wanted to spend as little as possible. Didn't even have a test ride.

Im going to a different Honda dealer Fri.if they have a dct i will take a test ride just to try one.i have manual but have been wanting to try the dct,just never had the chance.

Manual.
I thought about DCT but I've been riding manuals for over 30 years without an issue, there is a huge difference in price and I know I can stop faster with manual brakes than ABS.
(Don't lock your brakes!)
Plus I found a used bike for over $1K less than what they want for a new one. It only had 550 miles and most of the factory warranty left. No brainer.
*edit*
And I don't trust an automatic on dirt but I really wasn't thinking about it at the time.

I know I can stop faster with manual brakes than ABS.

I'll bet you CAN stop faster without ABS, but you might be lying in a heap when you finally come to rest.

ABS is not about stopping faster or in less distance, its about stopping safer and maintaining control. There is no way you can manually modulate the brake as fast as a good ABS circuit.

I respect your right to choose whatever brake system you want.

(BTW you had to know that your comment would spark debate.)

I know I can stop faster with manual brakes than ABS.

I'll bet you CAN stop faster without ABS, but you might be lying in a heap when you finally come to rest.

ABS is not about stopping faster or in less distance, its about stopping safer and maintaining control. There is no way you can manually modulate the brake as fast as a good ABS circuit.

I respect your right to choose whatever brake system you want.

(BTW you had to know that your comment would spark debate.)
Sorry, but I spent decades on dirt and I'm not going to dump it unless I choose to.
You however might end up in the back of another vehicle.
But I respect your right to choose whatever braking system you want.

If you are strictly going dirt I agree, everyone on this sight points out this is not a dirt bike, and having the abiliiy to stop better on pavement and then shut them off on the dirt is a plus

If you are strictly going dirt I agree, everyone on this sight points out this is not a dirt bike, and having the abiliiy to stop better on pavement and then shut them off on the dirt is a plus
Sorry but the same is true for on the street. It's the rider, not the brakes.

Have a 2011 Shadow Aero for when I yearn for that old-timey flavor; yes sir, brings me back to them good old days when I first began riding...last year:) and then there is my new fangled 2012 NC with DCT & ABS; for a majority of the time I ride in Sport, and I absolutely love it, AND it gives the bunion on my left foot a rest. (Seriously, since I am a new rider (1 year +) and an old guy, the DCT and ABS makes it easier and therefore a lot more enjoyable.)

Ugh another abs on motorcycle debate. Abs is for when you panic and grab a fist full of brake. On non abs motorcycles you are going to lock and skid, and may "lay it down". Skidding a tire will take longer to stop as you are past the point of greatest friction the tire can handle. ABS is designed to keep the tire rotating, and holding brake pressure at the greatest force possible to keep you at the tires greatest dynamic friction point.

Abs overrides the panicking human control and gives you the best chances of staying upright, and stopping in the shortest distance. Sure you can stop marginally quicker in a shorter distance in a controlled environment. But in the real world, with all the distractions, time limitations, and your ability to interpret how much pressure to give on that level, just is not going to happen. The odds are much more in your favor if you have abs. I won't own a single vehicle without abs. Especially any future motorcycles.

On topic. Come on DCT! We are down! Ive read multiple sales forecasts and they say Honda pretty much sold 1 DCT model for every 1 standard model!

DCT. I'm an urban rider and I think the DCT is safer because you can just concentrate on traffic, road surface and braking. I don't really use the paddle shift and wish they could have trimmed that feature off the sticker price and made it an option.
Now I wish they'd make some more models in automatic. I might even trade my NC if I could get an automatic Hyperstrada! Twist and shout.

Ugh another abs on motorcycle debate. Abs is for when you panic and grab a fist full of brake. On non abs motorcycles you are going to lock and skid, and may "lay it down". Skidding a tire will take longer to stop as you are past the point of greatest friction the tire can handle. ABS is designed to keep the tire rotating, and holding brake pressure at the greatest force possible to keep you at the tires greatest dynamic friction point.

Abs overrides the panicking human control and gives you the best chances of staying upright, and stopping in the shortest distance. Sure you can stop marginally quicker in a shorter distance in a controlled environment. But in the real world, with all the distractions, time limitations, and your ability to interpret how much pressure to give on that level, just is not going to happen. The odds are much more in your favor if you have abs. I won't own a single vehicle without abs. Especially any future motorcycles.

On topic. Come on DCT! We are down! Ive read multiple sales forecasts and they say Honda pretty much sold 1 DCT model for every 1 standard model!

There are dozens of videos proving your point on the pavement, even right down to two identical Honda motorcycles. As far as DCT it is like an automatic in a car everyone says they can shift faster than an automatic transmission, drag strips prove them wrong. I would think the GoldWing guys would be screaming that they want DCT, with all the other luxury why not

Back