• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Polarized Lenes and the Speedometer

sc37

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I have never worn polarized sunglasses before...I was about to order some until I learned that I might not be able to read my speedometer anymore! Anyone wear polarized lenses and can comment on whether or not it affects you when riding your NC?

I almost got wiped out wearing polarised sunglasses with my helmet, the polarisation created a mottled effect that effectively blinded me to a light brown vehicle approaching as I was overtaking a horse and trailer (the road surface was also a brownish colour). If the bike I was riding at the time hadn't had the power to kick down, I would have been history. I will personally never go polarised again.

Well, the LCD panel works using polarizing filters in two axes to allow or prevent light from passing through the glass. So I'd guess polarized glasses would cause issues. Depending on the axial orientation of your glasses relative to the display, the display could be unreadable.

image.jpg

For a fun science project, look through two polarizing lenses, then rotate one of them CW or CCW 90 degrees.

I wear polarized prescription sunglasses and have no problem seeing the instrument display or road hazards. Some helmet face shields can cause problems but mine don't.

I've used them on the bike with no issues.

Historically I've noted no issues with simple displays like my watch or the Speedo, my wife's camera has a color display I can't see with them and my smart phone only works at certain angles.

I prefer polarized lens in the sun, particularly in winter as much of the light reflected off of snow is polarized and the lens block it out and prevent snow blindness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I can see the instrument display just fine with the polarized clip-on that came with my prescription glasses. Seeing the display on some gas pumps is tough, though.

I can read the display fine, but it does make it look like there is a crack in the middle of the display.

Yep, exactly. There's something cheaply-manufactured in our instrument clusters that makes a particular area dark. Doesn't impede seeing or reading anything, though.

I've been using the same pair of $20 polarized glasses for the last two years of riding and haven't had an issue. For me, it seems most LCDs become unreadable at 90 degrees-ish to the normal because of how they're polarized. Shouldn't be an issue for our bikes and I find them much easier on the eyes over longer periods of time.

Have heard that it may cause problems. It depends on how the manufacturer of the equipment cut the polarized glass and how they orientate it when they install it.

On other forum (thehulltruth) a fishing forum, people commented that on there gps/fishfinders by a certain manufacturer.

ken

I had a big problem with polarized glass. The helmet shied distorted and made the instruments (especially the GPS) unreadable.
What to do?

I found a helmet that has an internal, dark, shade that can come down as far as it needs to. It's not polarized, and while I miss that, it can be adjusted so it DOES NOT cover the instruments, just the road ahead.

It's like sunglass bi-focals. When I look down, I'm looking through the helmet visor ONLY, and when I look up, I'm looking through the visor AND the sun shade. Perfect.

I don't have to stop to take sunglasses off. The sun shade retracts all the way.
It's the GMAX 54s that does that.

I've seen cheaper helmets (Bilt) that have the internal sun shade, but it's either all theway up or all the way down...with nothing in between. watch for that if you go shopping.

This happens to be an area where I've done some research, even if it was, mostly, by accident. People's response to polarized lenses seems to be very individual. I hate them with a passion. Other people, including my optometrist, love them.

A few years ago I got my eye exam and new glasses from a place the didn't sell lenses that were not polarized. I figured everybody else likes them, I'll try a pair. I hated them from day one. My first ride I saw blue trees, later in that ride I could't understand why the road was covered in water on a hot, dry day. It wasn't, the polarized lenses just made it look like it was. You have to learn to move your eyes/ head to see any LCD display, NC700 or not. When I got non-polorized prescription sun glasses I smiled every time I put them on for a couple of weeks.

I'd strongly suggest trying some nonprescription polarized sun glasses before you fork out the bucks for prescription polarized lenses. You may love them, you may hate them.

Goose

For a fun science project, look through two polarizing lenses, then rotate one of them CW or CCW 90 degrees.
I have ridden on corporate jets that use this to darken windows in passenger area. Two layers polarized and the inner one can be rotated to control how much light comes in. Can rotate to totally dark by getting the lenses 90 degrees out of phase.

Back