• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is the NC the best “only one motorcycle”?

LanceK

Reaction score
Visit site
The more I ride my NC the more I realize this has to be the perfect ride for me. I’m not sure what I would change about it if I could. I keep looking at other bikes, who doesn’t? And I always think of why I like the NC better. I keep thinking I might want a scooter, but the NC is so low maintenance and has plenty of storage, so I don’t see the advantage.

I often see posts on many forums where they ask: If you could only have one motorcycle, what would it be?

Has anyone else found a better all around motorcycle? If you could only have one, would it be the NC? If not which one?

I'm not sure it's THE best "only one motorcycle", but I can say for sure over the last 2 years and 31,000 miles, I have really come to appreciate it's many positive attributes, and appreciate it more each time I ride it.

Is the NC the best “only one motorcycle”?​

No.
The NC excels as an all around bike with the exception of it’s passenger accommodations and it’s somewhat high maintenance needs. For my wife and I riding together, the GL1800 is the top choice. For solo longer distance ridng the NC is the pick. For solo local rides, the Zero is best. I’m not in a position yet to settle for just one motorcycle, as a suitable one doesn’t exist.

The more I ride my NC the more I realize this has to be the perfect ride for me. I’m not sure what I would change about it if I could. I keep looking at other bikes, who doesn’t? And I always think of why I like the NC better. I keep thinking I might want a scooter, but the NC is so low maintenance and has plenty of storage, so I don’t see the advantage.

I often see posts on many forums where they ask: If you could only have one motorcycle, what would it be?

Has anyone else found a better all around motorcycle? If you could only have one, would it be the NC? If not which one?
It is for me, but it depends on who is buying it. That's like saying " is Miss America the prettiest woman everyone has ever seen". Where else can you get a bike that isn't expensive, low center of gravity, discreet storage, automatic transmission, sounds good, looks good, and sips the gas though?

Last edited:
Not for me. If I could have only one it wouldn’t be an NC but as I can afford more than one I am happy to have a NC. The only reason is power. If it had about 70hp then yes. Everything else about is good as long as you are prepared to upgrade the suspension, and put an Integra swingarm on it.

All good points. I don’t see the need to change the suspension, and the maintenance needs seem minimal to me, but it’s all about perspective I guess.

I have lowered the footpegs too. Mine is the S version so ground clearance is less then the pre 2021 X version. I found I was decking the footpegs when I lowered them at only moderate lean angles. I increased the ride height (preload on the shock) to compensate but found the shorter dogbones to be a better solution. I have just bought a 200 N/mm spring for my Sachs rear shock so I might revert back to the OE dogbones if I can get the sag I want with that and the ride height is still sufficient.

Update on the new pegs;
I might lower the brake lever but it's fine so far. I like these little ones better that the "bicycle pedals".

Attachments

• peg1.jpg
    peg1.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 16
  • peg2.jpg
    peg2.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 16
I was just looking at my NC and realized that mine is currently very, very close to being a one-motorcycle motorcycle for me, but only because it is so highly modified, mainly for comfort, suspension compliance, and cargo capacity. I think way back to how it was in stock form, when new, and it would seem nearly unusable that way. The NC serves as a good base on which to build a user-suitable motorcycle.

If my NC was crashed or stolen, I don’t think I’d have the patience to rebuild a new one into a likeness of what I have now.

Mine could be a one-motorcycle motorcycle for me, if need be.

I ride it mostly stock... stock bars, seat, footpegs, suspension, no hard luggage. I do use a Givi touring screen while on my out of state trips and a bag for gear on the back seat (or will on the luggage rack now that I've added that).

xtQyQghh.jpg

I played around with some soft rear luggage off my CB this past winter, and I may use that on my next trip,

B0HC3XJh.jpg

but I enjoy the NC as a light-weight minimalist bike without having a bunch of extraneous hard stuff bolted on that I would hardly ever use on my daily curvy country roads rides., which I don't need/want a dedicated dressed touring bike for. I traded a dressed FJR in on the NC.

Mine could be a one-motorcycle motorcycle for me, if need be.

I ride it mostly stock... stock bars, seat, footpegs, suspension, no hard luggage. I do use a Givi touring screen while on my out of state trips and a bag for gear on the back seat (or will on the luggage rack now that I've added that).

xtQyQghh.jpg

I played around with some soft rear luggage off my CB this past winter, and I may use that on my next trip,

B0HC3XJh.jpg

but I enjoy the NC as a light-weight minimalist bike without having a bunch of extraneous hard stuff bolted on that I would hardly ever use on my daily curvy country roads rides., which I don't need/want a dedicated dressed touring bike for. I traded a dressed FJR in on the NC.
Love the tail bag and rack. Can you tell me what that setup is?

Sure the big round tail bag in the top photo is a Tourmaster tail bag they no longer make. The smaller tail bag in the bottom pic is a Nelson Rigg sport tail bag (expandable) and the rack is a T Rex rack. Nice rack very little money, easy install. The saddlebag are Tourmaster Select saddlebags.

Back