• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

PGM-FI System DTC MIL Blink question.

12xoldy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday morning I had trouble starting my 2012 NC700X. And I noticed the MIL blinking. But then went off after bike started on third try. Let bike warm up for 5 minutes. Shut it off, then restarted again. No DTC/MIL blinking and bike started right up. This afternoon bike started fine and no MIL blinking. Rode bike to store and back. No issue. After 4 hours back from store. I tried starting it again. MIL started blinking with kickstand down and in neturel. Counted 8 long blinks, followed by 7 short ones. I read in manual that that would come out to code 87. Not finding 87 in manual. Any help would be great. Because I'm getting ready for long trip this weekend. Thanks !!!

Okay I jumped to soon. Next page 87 code is for EOP Sensor. Good old engine oil pressure problem. This is intermittent and started yesterday. Anyone have this EOP problem. This bike is costing a fortune. My oil level is fine. Past 3 months with 50,000 miles on bike. I decided to do many maintenance items. Replaced front and rear bearings. Front and rear brake pads. Replaced front and rear tires. Complete coolant flush with Honda blue coolant. Plus installed new crush washer for coolant drain plug. Replaced front fork bushings, seals, and dust covers. Adjusted valves, they where all on tight side. I even cranked engine over 3 times for each valve adjustment. Making sure all was good. That's also when I noticed a lot of oil up there in valve area. So I did a triple oil and oil filter change within 2 months. To make sure bike was ready for long summer trip. I know just keep trying. I also did have that oil leak on right crankcase cover at clutch sensor rubber elbow. Which I drained oil, pulled cover. Cleaned off all old gasket material and used small paint brush to put on new Honda high temp gasket material. Let bike sit for 3 days for gasket material to cure. Before putting oil back in and riding it. I guess I'll take it to the dealer to check it out.

If the EOP is a simple open or closed switch, you could test it with a meter.

Out camping right now. Need to go to town to get meter. Just got up. Started bike and all lights came on and off as normal.

Update! I have meter now. The MIL 87 blinks only happened 2 times. Once on Tuesday and once Wednesday. I've been riding bike everyday since. No problem starting and no MIL blinks. Easy access to EOP switch. My issue is with this service manual jumping back and forth. I guess the ECM is under Frunk. Like changing air filter. Is ECM on left or right side. I have continuity from EOP switch to ground. And no continuity from EOP connector 1P light green to ground. I guess I'll have to restart tomorrow to get to EMC. I did get my brake fluid bleeded today.

Hey, I've had the same issue on my 40k mile nc700sa. Bike is in great condition mechanically. I noticed some intermittent random long-crank-no-start issues, one day it started and flashed the 8-7 code.

After a visual inspection of the oil pressure switch, I think it's likely an issue with the wiring harness. It leaves the EOP switch, takes a sharp turn, snakes over the coolant overflow bottle, then takes a sharp turn around the RHS lower frame rail to join the main wiring harness. I noticed some rubbing and signs of necking where it joined the main harness and the rubber boot around the EOP switch was torn.

I have also been working on the cooling system, so I suspect I jostled the EOP wire while I was installing and removing the coolant overflow bottle. When I get some spare time, I will start testing the wiring, maybe repair the harness and replace the rubber boot.

Back