• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

panniers vs. topcase

Over the years I have developed an intense dislike of top cases when riding solo. My reason is that on many of the bikes I have owned, they have caused handling problems at speed. Yes, I know that the manufacturers put a speed limit on them. However they also put a speed limit on panniers and they do not cause the same problems as often. My only use for a top case is when travelling two up. In that application it is useful both for luggage, and as a back rest for my Wife. However it does not cause problems two up.

My choice on the NC is a pair of smaller Givi panniers. I have them years and I think they are E22 in designation. They have since been superceded, but have 22 ltr capacity each. They have little affect on fuel consumption and none at all on handling. They are shown here in a post from Ziggie, of his bike.....

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/attach...saddlebags-uploadfromtaptalk1392769518990-jpg

I also have Treker 33's for another of my bikes. They would fit the NC but are too heavy and cause too much drag.

The other thread has feedback from me, but I find that my opinion on this question changes over time. I have the Honda saddlebags and top case/trunk. The American trunk is huge(!). That's great for storing a helmet, or for hauling a whole lot of crap, or just for hauling something too bulky for either the frunk or a single saddlebag. The trunk also allows for a slightly slimmer machine overall.

The slimmer aspect is appealing for parking in tight places. It's also appealing, at least in theory, if you live in CA and can lane split. That said, I still like the lower CoG of the saddlebags better. On my very extended trip this past summer, I dumped the bike at least a couple times at almost-stopped speeds. Both times it was fully laden and TOUGH to pick back up. Even loading my lightest 'stuff' in the trunk and the duffel bag I had on the pillion, it made the load/CoG very discernibly higher, and made the bike feel very different. I didn't and don't like that. Also, with the Honda saddlebags at least, the bike is very little wider than the handlebars, or maybe not wider at all.

So, in that other thread, I initially voted strongly for the saddlebags. I later reconsidered the question, but I'm once again in favor of the saddlebags, on balance, unless I have a specific need for the space of the gigantic American Honda trunk. The mpg is lower with the saddlebags, and that irritates me no end, but my bike's mpg is lower than when I got it anyway, so that's just a component of overall mpg irritation...

:)

I like the top box for around town.
Gotta have my "stuff" when camping, so on go the panniers for anything other than around town.

I can only vote for side bags. Have never owned a top case but do strap a couple smaller (22lt) dry bags behind me for more carrying capacity. I have never felt any dynamics change with the side bags fully loaded and usually leave them on for around town. Nice to have the room to throw stuff in if need be. And can hold a ton of groceries. I've got the trax 37 lt and still got nearly 80 mpg fully loaded on a trip. Maybe some day I'll get a top case for storing a helmet. At the moment my helmet won't fit in the frunk. Plus I tend to keep miscellaneous crap in there anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have been a bunch of replies but I'll throw mine out there anyway. I honestly cannot see having only one or the other. I need both. I commute daily and ride year round. The top case does not have enough capacity to store everything just for a short trip to work. I would make the sacrifice and buy both. Even if you think you don't have the funds. Find a way.

There have been a bunch of replies but I'll throw mine out there anyway. I honestly cannot see having only one or the other. I need both. I commute daily and ride year round. The top case does not have enough capacity to store everything just for a short trip to work. I would make the sacrifice and buy both. Even if you think you don't have the funds. Find a way.
I agree get both when you can. I go back and forth sometimes I have all three cases. And just my two cents but the Givi E22 are a great size case AND affordable.

Back