• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

panniers vs. topcase

redbike2

Reaction score
Visit site
if you have to choose: topcase or panniers?

why?

while we are at it, what is your preference: aftermarket (what brand & model) vs. honda for each

Last edited:
I have the two and I'd choose topcase...for practical and convenient reasons...With a topcase no need to do contortion and it is easily accessible. Panniers make the bike larger and more difficult to mount on the bike.
I can't talk about honda's but I have SW Motech on the NC and I'm very happy with them so far. I've had Happy Trail panniers and Pelican cases on previous bikes (those 2 brands are very sturdy).
It all depend what you want to do with the cases but there is sure some to suit your needs.

I have both in Givi Trekker. If only one I would take the top case. It's larger and don't cause wind resistance. Panniers are wider, which would hold more combined, but do catch more wind. Top case is more top heavy, but on this bike with the COG the case is not a problem. I do think Panniers look better, but you can't usually put a helmet in one.

For me I have never liked top cases mostly because I don't like the look of a big box stuck on a rack, I have always had panniers. Saying that I purchased my 2012 NC700x with the Honda top case installed and after a few trips around town, going out to eat or to the store and being able to put my helmet in the case then taking it out to put in some groceries it is there to stay.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I put the top case on first for shorter trips. When more capacity is needed, the side cases go on. It's my experience and belief that side cases drop your fuel economy much more so than a medium size top case does.

For long camping trips, you'll want both, or perhaps a dry bag/duffel bag in place of a rigid top case.

As for brand, I'd go aftermarket. You could buy cases that could fit on the NC as well as other present bikes or future bikes. You can have different sizes/styles of a particular aftermarket brand and put different cases on the NC based on the needs at the time.
With the Honda NC700X luggage, you're stuck with one style and nothing else will fit on the mounts, and the luggage will likely be useless should you decide to change bikes.

Last edited:
I have both options but if I had to choose , I'd choose the panniers because I think it would make mounting the bike easier. My old legs and knees don't want to cooperate with me and make it a job to get on and off with the top case in the way.

I put the top case on first for shorter trips. When more capacity is needed, the side cases go on. It's my experience and belief that side cases drop your fuel economy much more so than a medium size top case does.

For long camping trips, you'll want both, or perhaps a dry bag/duffel bag in place of a rigid top case.
^^^^ This.

I always use side bags, we have installed a few top boxes, that cause, handling problems over 50 mph. The wind pushes on the sides of the top box, as it comes around the driver and can make the bike head shake, and gets worse with weight in the top box. Even factory top boxs can make the bike weave at speed. Even with the added width of side bags, the weight is much lower, and causes less handling problems, but i have had some models of bikes that do not like side bags, it upsets the air flow, as the top box does. The safest bet is use the factory top box,for that model, they have been wind tunnel tested, and will cause the least amount of problems. Any accessory installed can cause problems, so always be carefull when riding the bike with new accessories. Dale

I prefer the top case for around town. Very convenient for stowing items. I put on the panniers for overnight trips. I use a 33 liter Givi Trekker as a top case. I move it to a pannier on the trips and put a 42 liter trekker on the back. I'll also throw on a duffle.

Yes, its much harder to mount with the panniers. I look like a three stooges routine with my short legs. I need a crane when I put on the duffle.

DSCN5012_zpsodz2jjum.jpg

1125151329a_zpszyxgkfw9.jpg

Last edited:
Another vote for top case over the panniers. Having downsized from bikes that had all three, I prefer the narrower profile of the top case solution only. When I need more room, I expand to the rear seat (and in front of the top case) with duffel bags. I agree with those who say carrying the weight down lower is better however I have not had any issues with stability with the 35L top case I'm using in the two years I've owned my NC700X.

I upgraded from a tailbag to a top case over the summer and I absolutely love it for daily commuting. It's convenient for lunch, laptop, and pretty much everything under the sun. Combined with the frunk, I can even make a small/medium size grocery run. All the while it doen't hurt MPG that much.

For longer trips, I plan on adding some panniers (and drybags) for the added luggage capacity

Side cases. Givi E22's. The top case only makes the bike look way too scooterish for my tastes and for daily commutes the E22's do everything I need. Frankly I can even grab my weekly groceries with the 22's and my frunk. If you're going camping or long distance touring that's another issue, but for weekend hotel jaunts or daily commuting this does the job.

I got the Givi Outback top case with plans to one day get the matching side cases but I don't really need them. I think the side cases look much better but I'm in California and I excercise my freedom to filter quite liberally and I feel more comfortable doing that without the side cases. I haven't been on a big enough trip to warrant the purchase of the side cases either.

If you travel offroad side cases are better because you'll keep the CoG low.

Personally I've Givi's Trekker top case but I'm using it only when it's absolutely necessary.

My thinking is the topcase and sidebags serve different purposes. As many have said, I think the top box is better for quick access around town or single day trips. Sidebags are better for multiday packing where you don't need what's in there often. I use a Givi e30 for the topcase and OEM sidebags ... the e30 holds all the miscellaneous stuff (tools, visor, hat, odds and ends) that I can grab quickly, and that frees up the frunk for helmet, and isn't as huge as the OEM topcase.

As I've posted elsewhere, I would have selected different sidebags over the OEMs if I had known then what I know now. You learn something new everyday ... whether you want to or not.

My thinking is the topcase and sidebags serve different purposes.

+ on what GregC said. Since upgrading from the undersized and oddly shaped OEM side cases to Touratech Pro2 45 liter panniers, I couldn't be happier except for one downside. The OEM top case mounts/rack cannot be used with these pannier mounts and I miss my Honda top case to bring my pizzas home in. My panniers are quickly taken on and off with a keyed lock/lever, so they are off while in town. Once I get the compatible top case rack/mount from Touratech, I will have to get an adapter to get my Honda top case back on my NC700, because I found I really miss it in and around town.

image.jpg

Ray

Back