• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Pacific Coast Highway

Well, yesterday morning I got an update on my grandfather's rapidly failing health and decided to turn east so I can say goodbye. I am in eastern Nevada now after riding about 730mi yesterday. Today will be another long one.
So ends the great coast road trip.

Sorry about your Grandpa! Good girl, you went over 700 miles to see him!

Yes, my bike sprouted saddlebags every morning and took them off every night when we got to the hotel. When I had an early day I would go back out unladen.
I actually rode about 1350 miles between yesterday and today. Eureka, CA to Greeley, CO. Tomorrow I need to give the bike a good looking over and maybe get a new front tire before we head home. Turned over 12k today, which puts us at 4,000 miles in two weeks.

Of course I'm taking care of my chain... actually she felt a little 'off' yesterday, and that was the one thing I could check in the dark. Lo and behold, will be tightening it today.

Last edited:
They're firstgear expandable bags. They have two Velcro straps, one under the passenger seat and one behind it. I'll probably buy/make support brackets before I do another long trip, when they're expanded out and loaded down they're closer than I would like to the exhaust and rear tire. But they worked.

I am impressed with your trip. Long miles and long days on the NC. Also, sorry to hear about your grandfather. You rode right past me when you came through North Bend/Coos Bay. It appears you have a different seat on your NC. Which one and how did it perform?

The seat is a Bill Mayer custom. My husband and I rode up to Ventura and got them done in April (he has a v-star 1300). I am very happy with it. A vast improvement over the board it came with. At the end of a long day it is my knees that give me trouble. Need to put some highway pegs on before I do this again.

Thanks for the reply. If you and your husband do make the ride up this way again give me a heads up and I will be happy to treat you to lunch, or breakfast or dinner; whatever fits the schedule.

Thanks for the great ride. I rode PCH on a bicycle with panniers and camped out & did the hostel thing back in the mid 80's. My ride began in Pt Reyes and went to Santa Barbara, it took me about a week and I had to do a 150 miles on the last day because my cousin was getting married the next day. Some of your pix brought back good memories. Thanks again.

PCH final thoughts and numbers

Well, I got home yesterday (Tuesday) a little before 4 AM. Had to be up for work @ 6, and went pretty much straight to bed afterwards. So here's the wrap up.
Total miles: 5344.2
2651.5 miles on my planned route, the rest as part of the Colorado detour I made. My dad rode about 600 miles of that, since we did Loveland, CO to El Cajon, CA straight through (about 1200 miles).
I visited 7 states on this trip (Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado and Arizona), 1 that I'd never been to before (Washington) and 5 that I hadn't ridden in previously.
The NC performed beautifully. The chain developed a tight spot somewhere in Wyoming, and I have one on order now, but that was the only problem she had.
Before I do another major trip, I'll be picking up some heated gear, motorcycle boots, and better rain pants. I'll also be adding highway pegs to Chupa, and probably have a friend make support brackets for my saddlebags.
I'm looking forward to riding the rest of the PCH (from Eureka, CA south) some other time, but it will probably be at least a year from now. My next trip will probably be some weekend camping here in CA, but I haven't picked a place yet.
Thank you all for reading!

Back