• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Pacific Coast Highway

Chestnut

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
San Diego to Seattle and down the PCH kicked off yesterday after work. So far I haven't even pulled out the camera, mostly just been reminded how much I hate Los Angeles. Today and tomorrow are long days (500-600 miles), straight up the superslab. Can't wait to get to the fun part coming back down.
Will post pictures as I take them, assuming my camera and phone will cooperate (didn't want to drag the computer along this time).

I got to my hotel with plenty of daylight to spare today, so I unloaded and went up to Lassen Volcanic National Park. Easy, fun road. At least until the furry wrecking balls (AKA deer) came out and tried to play. Luckily I saw Ms. Doe early enough to avoid hitting her or the pickup following too close hitting me.
One at the entrance to the parkNIK_0002.jpg
Lassen Peak and Manzanita LakeNIK_0011.jpg
I can't believe how long the days are here in the north. I got back at 8:30 and the sun was just dropping behind the horizon. At home it would be pitch dark by then. Should give me plenty of time to see stuff, since I'm incapable of sleeping if the sun is up.

Thanks for sharing! Your last picture just reminded me why I bought a fishing pole that will stay on my NCX.

Thanks for sharing! Your last picture just reminded me why I bought a fishing pole that will stay on my NCX.

Once my saddlebags and brackets go on their will be some engineering done for two fishing poles, tackle box in one bag and ice chest in the other (I love to eat what I catch)!!

Very nice! Looks like some great scenery there.
Its good to see the ladies sharing their rides on the NC.

Those 5-600 mile days are long, but fun and rewarding
at the same time.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.

Yesterday reminded me of why I moved back to SoCal. In the low 50s (maybe) and wet. It started while I was in CA, rained almost all the way through Oregon, and just when I thought I was safe, it started up again nearing Tacoma. That bone chilling raw kind of wet/cold. I had m/c jacket & pants with liners, sweatshirt/pants, rain gear, winter gloves, scarf around neck and ears, and my heated grips on and was still cold. Heated gear has moved way up my priority list. All that gross wet stuff falling from the sky does have its advantages though. NIK_0042-1.jpg
Multnomah Falls

There was a little cascade on the way up to Multnomah, no name listed or anything, and I stopped and said to myself 'I would hike 2-3 miles to see this at home, and it doesn't even get a name'.
Yesterday was 687 miles. I confused a gas station attendant in Oregon (they don't trust you to pump your own) with the under-seat tank, and had a couple people come up as I was leaving the falls to comment on the bike. One guy asked if 'that' was the automatic shifting one, and asked how I liked it. I told him it's available in the auto, but I wouldn't throw my leg over one, and when I told him where I was from his eyes got all wide. I love my NC. I talk to her when I go in to the hotel, same as I do my dogs before I leave. 'Be good, Chupa, don't let anyone steal you.' And I'm still happy to see her in the morning, even after a hard day like yesterday. Maybe next year I'll take her to Alaska...

Attachments

• NIK_0060.jpg
    NIK_0060.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Heated gear is awesome! I bought a heated jacket this past winter. I live a few hours north of So.Cal. in Stockton. I know it doesn't get too cold out here like it does in northern state or back east, so I figuered just the jacket would be enough. It is, and I love it!! When it get's into the 40's I'll ues it and it's like a nice toasty warm hug for the whole ride. I got the portable heat controller too so I can take it off the bike during the warmer times and when I get to my destination and throw it in the frunk to deter anyone from being able to just grab it from off the bike.

Beautiful ics by the way! I'd love to take a trip on the PCH someday myself. Cool pics will give me some destination ideas. For now I'm still mostly a commuter on the NC.

Yesterday was gorgeous. I spent the whole day on the Olympic Peninsula, did just under 300 miles, and really had some fun. First up was the Point No Point lighthouse, then on my way west I decided to head into Olympic National Park, went up to Hurricane Ridge. Supposedly there are great views of Mount Olympus and other very large rocks, though I couldn't see a thing. The ride was worth it by itself, though. In the same conversation my mom told me I couldn't take this trip because I'm a 'pretty girl' (seriously, I thought we'd resolved THAT one a decade ago), she asked about the snow. I told her the snow would be in the mountains, and I'd be staying near the coast, so I wouldn't be in any. Oops...NIK_0089.jpg
I did get a good view of the Strait of Juan de Fuca on my way down. Saw more deer, this time they were staring at me from off the road, which I appreciated, but in this case I'd prefer a little more distance. From Port Angeles I went to see the Cape Flattery lighthouse, near Neah bay. Seriously, pull that one up on google maps. Ride it. Holy wow. A little bit of a rough road in some places, so you can't go tearing through there too fast, but it was a lot of fun. I believe this is the westernmost point in the lower 48, it would make a much better 4 corners ride than the canadian border.NIK_0101.jpg
Now I'm headed south. I feel like my trip really started yesterday. I really want to bring my hubby up here some time. He'd love it. So green, lots of good m/c roads, not much traffic. And I don't know if it's just that there are fewer cars, or if people actually pay attention, or if it's the safety vest (I don't usually wear one, but I wasn't sure whether the navy bases up here require them, so I wore it), but I've barely had any cagers try to kill me lately. It's really refreshing.
Time to pack up and head out for another day of adventure!

Last edited:
It was another beautiful day in the Pacific Northwest. Saw 5 lighthouses and a shipwreck, and crossed into Oregon. Was really feeling like I know what I'm doing going down the twisties today. Will have to take Chupa up Sunrise Highway when I get home, run a road I actually know. Maybe I'll even be able to keep up with my dad by then.
Fuzzy wrecking ball sighting today was an elk. And a deer. And I had to stop at the crest of the Astoria-Megler bridge due to construction. Sat there and had a minor panic attack while I got blown around and felt the bridge bounce whenever a car drove past me.
Not getting enough sleep is catching up with me, so pictures will have to wait. Don't feel like digging my camera out and coercing my phone into posting them. Supposed to rain all day tomorrow (started as soon as I got in for the night), so instead of a waterfall hike, I'll probably make it an early night and go through a bunch of pics then.

It was another beautiful day in the Pacific Northwest. Saw 5 lighthouses and a shipwreck, and crossed into Oregon. Was really feeling like I know what I'm doing going down the twisties today. Will have to take Chupa up Sunrise Highway when I get home, run a road I actually know. Maybe I'll even be able to keep up with my dad by then.
Fuzzy wrecking ball sighting today was an elk. And a deer. And I had to stop at the crest of the Astoria-Megler bridge due to construction. Sat there and had a minor panic attack while I got blown around and felt the bridge bounce whenever a car drove past me.
Not getting enough sleep is catching up with me, so pictures will have to wait. Don't feel like digging my camera out and coercing my phone into posting them. Supposed to rain all day tomorrow (started as soon as I got in for the night), so instead of a waterfall hike, I'll probably make it an early night and go through a bunch of pics then.

Chestnut, I'll be watching for you today. As a most strange coincidence, I'm actually on the PCH today headed north in mid Oregon (at Yachats). Unfortunately, I'm in a rented blue Ford Focus, not on the NC or the 'Wing. Yes, Monday was an absolute gorgeous day; today is starting off with rain.

Kudos to you for taking on such a grand trip on the NC. That's a lot of miles to cover, but what I've seen around here, the ride should be well worth it. Be careful.

Greg

Last edited:
I rode the San Diego to Seattle and back San Diego trip in 1984 on my Honda V45 Interceptor. What a beautiful trip, right up to when I got a ticket just south of L.A. Got caught stone cold at 105 in a 55 zone. Be careful, love the pictures, keep 'um coming.

I won't be hitting 105 anytime soon. I tried to get her over 100 and chickened out around 98.

Let's start with some pictures from yesterday, since I've had time to pull my memory card and look at them. (They're a little out of order)
IMG_20130521_165917.jpg
That speck behind Chupa is Destruction Island. The even smaller speck on top of it is the Destruction Island Lighthouse.
NIK_0248.jpg
Tillamook Rock Lighthouse
NIK_0204.jpg
The interior of Gray's Harbor LH, Washington's tallest. Yes, I climbed all 135 steps...
NIK_0194.jpg
So I could get up close and personal with this 3rd order Fresnel clamshell lens. Beautiful craftsmanship.

More to come once I get back 'home' for the night.

A couple more pics from yesterday...a 1st order Fresnel lens:IMG_20130521_171227.jpg
And the wreck of the Peter Iredale. I wish I'd been alive 100 years ago to see this when it was mostly intact.NIK_0287.jpg
Since the weather forecast was so ugly today, I nixed a hike and went to the Tillamook Cheese Factory. The biggest reason for this was the ice cream. I should've gone to Dairy Queen instead. Really not impressed. But the squeaky cheese (fresh curds, no aging) was interesting and they have a schooner (sort of) out front.
For some reason, it won't let me upload any more pictures. Must be my phone telling me to get some sleep. Will try again tomorrow.

Alright, trying this again...
IMG_20130521_220102.jpg
Schooners are my favorite
Next up was the Cape Meares Lighthouse, which happens to be a little vertically challenged.
NIK_0317.jpg
It was pouring, and at this point I was getting a little wet, and a lot cold. By the time I got to Yaquina Head, almost 2 hours down the road, I was soaked. So I took my time in the visitor's center to warm up. They've got whale bones on display, along with plenty of stuff about the lighthouse. Once I could move my finger again I went up to see it, then got back on the road.NIK_0343.jpg
One more little lighthouse at Yaquina Bay and I made my way for 'home' - the B&B at Heceta Head. I threw my gear in front of a heater and hopped in a warm bath, and when I got out, the sun was shining. So I walked up to the lighthouse there, and forgot to change the settings on my camera, so most of those pics are horrible, but this one I salvaged...IMG_20130522_081020.jpg
I made a quick dash for dinner while it wasn't raining, hoping the weather would hold long enough for me to get down to Umpqua River after dark. This 1st order Fresnel lens is (I believe) the only one operating on the west coast. As I was eating, it started pouring again, and I decided I just wasn't THAT committed to the lighthouse experience. So I went back and crashed hard into the. most. comfortable. bed. ever. Or maybe 4 nights of 4-5 hours of sleep finally got to me...but I think it was the bed.
I was still up around 6:30 to load the bike before breakfast. It was still raining. It was still 45 degrees, with a forecast high of 50. Some of my gear was still wet - my waterproof boots had scooped up bunches of water, is there anything worse than wet boots? So I walked out into the cold, wet day, saw the bike, and smiled. I think I've lost my mind.
Breakfast was 7 courses. Yum. There was even dessert. My kind of place. I will definitely be back, hopefully with the hubby in tow.
It was off to see that 1st order lens, which luckily runs 24/7, so I was still able to see the light, just not get as good a picture of it.IMG_20130522_223814.jpg
And I was able to poke my head up into the lens, which is freaking gorgeous.NIK_0393.jpgNIK_0393.jpg
To give you a little perspective, this thing was handmade in France in the mid 1800s. It was crated up, put on a ship for New York, pulled out, inspected, repacked, and sent around the Cape, to be hauled up the steps piece by 600+ pieces and reassembled. It is almost 10 feet tall and over 6 feet in diameter. Amazing. Forgive me, I love old stuff. Old buildings, old ships, old lighthouses, even old furniture was better. Now we just throw some concrete up and call it good. Bleh.
Anyway, back to a different kind of rambling. It just kept raining, and I just kept riding. I've decide Oregon hates me. Seriously. It rained on me all the way north through the state, and it rained on me almost all the way down.
Next up was Coquille river, where you can climb the tower to get a view of the concrete block with an LED on top that now sits at the end of the spit, replacing the lighthouse entirely. The lens has been removed, which is kind of depressing, but at least it's in a museum somewhere and not been used as target practice. NIK_0410.jpg
I got to Cape Blanco just as they were getting ready to close the gates, but was able to get a couple shots in before they shooed everyone out.IMG_20130523_064710.jpg
And then, an hour and a half later, I was out of Oregon. And the sun came out, the road dried up, and I was able to get this: NIK_0418.jpgthis:NIK_0424.jpgand this:NIK_0425.jpg
God I love California.
Tonight I'm staying in the middle of nowhere, so who knows when I'll update again...

Last edited:
Back