• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oversized Tire Options

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy folks! First I'd like to begin by saying that I hope everyone is doing well and if not, I hope good fortune may come your way.

On to the subject at hand here: Oversized tire options or OTO for short

Some of y'all may have seen my build thread or vwhammer's build thread on here where we opted for non-stock size tires. I decided to go with a Shinko 705 in a 150/70 on the rear and 130/80 on the front which seems to be quite popular with the motard crowd and some other NC riders as well. Vwhammer opted for different, less common tire sizes by going with a 140/80 in the rear and a 120/90 up front if I remember correctly, which sounds rather attractive as well being skinnier tires both ways. Anyways, those tire sizes (120/90, 130/80, 140/80, and 150/70) are what I'm looking for currently.

What I am trying to find out is what tires out there are made in this size and how people like them. I know Shinko 705 has a fairly large group of "front/rear" tires but I also know of people running like a Continental TKC80 130/80 size rear tire up front on NC's and other bikes, as well as the 120/90 tube type tire being ran tubeless up front on one NC owner's bike. I believe his name is Glesage if I remember correctly. However, I am wondering if anybody out there has experience running tires in a non-conventional manner (such as rear tires up front or tube tires ran tubeless) and them being successful. I'd love to hear any and all feedback. I'm sure I'll be called idiotic, insane, and just plain dumb for wanting to do such a thing but that's okay as well. Who knows I might be lol To do some of the stuff I do on a motorcycle, you kinda have to be! lol

Anyways, thank y'all for taking the time to read this and to those that respond as well. I hope y'all have a good day and be safe. Till next time, Ride on!

This is kinda timely because I was swapping front tires today as I get ready for a trip.

I first tried a Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara 130/80 17 (Rear) tire on my front wheel. Trying it back on the bike the fender doesn't fit without the fender going thru the raising mod. Since I didn't want to do that (I like a fork brace up front) I swapped a TKC-80 120/70 17 onto the front.

I keep a Shinko 705 150/70 17 as my rear on-road tire.

My Moto-Mule trailer has a new tire I've wanted to use as my off-road wheel. A Michelin Anakee Wild 140/80 17 is mounted so I can swap complete wheels between the trailer and rear when I want to do some off-roading.

When vwhammer successfully tests his new front fork brace/fender configuration, I'll be interested so that then I could try that Metzeler up front again.

For now, I'll try this TKC-80, Shinko, Michelin configuration on my upcoming cross county trip.

Ray

Back