• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oh for pity's sake....

Sorry for not responding - I was out riding!!!! 23 hours 15 minutes for a 1113 mile ride. Overall everything went well - Incidents of note 1) there is a stretch of highway between Bend and Klamuth Falls that will suck the soul out of you. Its bullet straight, table flat and the road is lined with spruce trees on both sides for 60 miles. Its like riding on a treadmill. I have never been so happy to see a river valley and a lake in my life. 2) The chain tensioner nuts vibrated loose and the end plate turned and got caught in the sprocket bolts - at the point in my ride where I was farthest from home and miles from anything vaguely resembling a Honda Dealership. Luckily I was following a semi through town and moving really slow at the time and the chain is a little tight instead of loose so I made the last 500 miles home safe and sound without incident. Now I need to figure out what and how to fix that. That chain has 14305 miles on it so its probably time to change it out too. 3) I got a ticket at 4 AM. I was tired cold hungry and dehydrated and some woman was following me with her brights on and I got caught right where 10 over becomes 20 over. The cop and I had a decent chat and he ticketed me for 10 over. 4) People all over love the NCX - I don't know how many people stopped to talk to me about my bike to day at rest stops, gas stations, whatever - even the cop had a question or two... 5) I thought I-5 was going to be the worst part of my ride but Northern California and Southern Oregan is all mountain and two lane twisty [EDIT: I should say double lane not two lane]...it was fun.

Last edited:
I am more concerned with something like that happening while away from home. I do carry an antigravity battery in the frunk. It will jump the bike and I also use it to charge devices when camping where there is no electricity. I charge the battery back up when on the move.

Cool Product!!! A battery that size you can start a car with would be very handy.

All's well that ends well! Sounds like a rocky start and few challenges along the way but some new, good stories to share. Glad you made it safely!

Here is the route that will be submitted. I actually did a little sight seeing in the afternoon so I logged a few more miles than I can actually document.

DH_SS1K_June21_2014.jpg

Got all your receipts and witness signatures I'm sure. Sounds like an interesting ride. Glad all worked out and you are back home safely. Congratulations!

And more good news - it looks like the chain adjuster and end plate that got messed up are a $50 fix...Even Better - about $30 if I get them from HONDABIKEPRO's dealership.

460 miles was all I wanted. You guys are tough! Like the guy said in Dust to Glory" "If your dumb you better be tough."

I think it is great that riders take on this challenge and complete it.

I think I could do it if in the right frame of mind. I did 660 miles coming home from NC a week after totaling the bike. It wasn't too bad. I really don't like riding fast (interstate speeds) at night. That might be the "deciding straw"
I will have Rox Risers, lowered foot pegs and some kind of back rest before it happens - if it happens.

Congrats again DanH! I like tattoos but don' think that's important enough to warrant it - :rolleyes:

Next time I ride down to florida, I may do an Iron Butt. It is 785 miles from my driveway in Florida to my driveway in Indiana, and I did it 2 weeks ago in 13hours and 4 minutes; 4 gas stops-2 which were 10 minute stops and 2 were 45 minute stops. I need to add another 215 miles (250 miles to be safe) without getting bored to death. I left at 538am and arrived at 642pm. When I started, it wasn't quite daylight but not totally dark either. I ride 15 miles to get to I-75 and 8 miles off I-65 at the end. In September, I may go all the way down I-65 to Mobile, Ala, take I-10 east to I-75 and then down to the house; 1046 miles doing that. MapQuest has it at 16 hours; which I have done 16 hours on the bike before taking non-interstates from my house in Indiana to the Florida house; but I got to get a different seat before I attempt it. The stock seat, even with the front raised about 2 inches and a sheepskin, is still PITA. On long rides, I only stop when the bike needs it (gas).

Congrats on getting the job done; sorry you got the ticket though and glad the bike is easily fixable.

... I like tattoos but don' think that's important enough to warrant it - :rolleyes:

Yeah that thought was pretty random. I thought it and wondered where I would put it and well, you read the rest. Maybe I should get "Live, Love, Laugh" tattooed on me somewhere like my daughter instead. - :moreeyerolling: :)

Back