• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Off-Road Tire (Tyre) Pressure?

SoopaBee

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone lower their tire pressure when venturing off-road? If so, how much PSI (even a rough estimate) do you let out of your tires?

I‘d have to ask what “off-road” means to you. I have ridden many unpaved gravel and unimproved roads on the NC without lowering tire pressure. For true off-road, meaning not on a road, I prefer a dual sport motorcycle with larger wheels and better suspension. The NC is a street bike; the suspension is a bigger limitation than the tires.

Thanks for the ask for additional info. I should have clarified. “Off-road” meaning “bumpy off-pavement/tarmac.” For example, dirt roads with sections of heavily washboarded road with maybe some sandy sections. I’m not talking Dakar Rally here, but maybe a little more than your average gravel country back road.

And I actually disagree. While the NC is certainly not a dual sport, it is definitely more than just a street bike! :)

Any terrain that requires lowering of tire pressures is not the best place for an NC. Honda’s marketing department may think it’s an adventure bike, but it is not. I find it less out of place on gravel roads than many street bikes (perhaps nearly but not quite on par with some “scrambler” bikes), but I deal with those roads by riding for conditions, not trying to make the bike do things it’s not capable of.

I probably should have prefaced this post with, “For those of you who do occasionally find yourselves hitting some bumpy dirt roads…” I wasn’t planning on this being a discussion on whether or not it was wise to take the NC off-road or if it was the best machine to do so. Clearly, there are more appropriate and far better options out there.

But I’ve ridden the bike for years on- and off-road and I stand by my assertion that the NC is much more of an adventure-LITE bike. And I don’t currently lower the pressure in my own tires, but wondered what others do. At least those that ride like I do.

Back