• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

No Motorcycle Signs

At Laguna Beach, Calif. those signs are up all along the beach front parking. Apparently, motorcycles are too noisy, and the folks who live there don't want them parking at their beach.

When there are too many laws, EVERYONE is a criminal.

Reminds me of a time a few years ago where Myrtle Beach tried to ban motorcycles from some of their public roads; until at one of their commission meetings they were reminded it is Federal Law, any public road paid for in whole or parts of (meaning any amount) by Federal Highway funds, must allow legally operated motorcycles. Quickly stopped their attempts to ban them. Instead Myrtle Beach passed no-loitering laws for all parking lots, so motorcyclists couldn't stop and talk in a parking lot or any where else. I know the big bike rally that used to be in Myrtle Beach immediately moved up the road a few miles after the loitering law went into effect.

My fiancee is a Home Visiting Nurse and she rides her CBR250R ABS as much as she can to save on fuel, and she loves to ride.

Recently her new patient is in a gated retirement community, and the first day she went to meet the patient she was stopped at the gate and told she couldn't enter on her motorcycle. They told her that motorcycles are too loud for the community and create bad smells. (Her's is a quiet, stock exhaust with a catalytic converter.)

As she parks her motorcycle outside the gates a straight pipe corvette rumbles in... And the first house has a Ferrari 458 parked in the driveway.

We filed a complaint with the housing agency. And told the new patient they should do the same to help. (he used to ride, didn't know the rule existed.)

I got a "lecture" one day from a driver in a pick-up truck (H-D sticker on back window) while stopped at a traffic light. He said my bike was too quiet and I was going to get killed on it as no one can hear it. I shook my head at him, flipped the helmet visor back down, and ignored his rant.

One man's noise is another man's music. Repeat with: Religion, lifestyle, political view, sports, tolerance, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

I can picture a large group, connected by their hive-mind outlook which certainly does not include motorcycles as even worthy of existance, being so annoyed by an unwanted noise or activity during hours they deem out of the ordinary, or an imagined lifestyle type, that they band together to banish those who embrace those very qualities, found alien and threatening to them.

The sticky problem arrises, when there is no easy way to differentiate between individuals, versus a group. The complexities approach the infinite, when you have to try and rely on human judgement to filter all the approved and disapproved.

Obviously a teenage girl on a little scooter with stock everything, puttering along below the speed limit going to school, who has more in common with the community that shuns her, is worlds different than a group of shotgun piped Hell's Angels on Harleys. But if you were to write out a rule, which would be easier to enforce and interpret?

A one liner "No motorcycles", or a super long complicated draft with thousands of variables, depending on the likelyhood of decibel violation, weapons violation, posited potential criminal intent, hours of operation curfew adherence, etc., etc.?

I like to think I'm as reasonable and open minded as the next guy, but truthfully, I could be outed as a self righteous, hypocritical, bigotted, narrow minded extremist- if compared to someone with views diametrically opposed to mine. This isn't to say either myself or my opposite would actually be "right" or "wrong" but each could appear that way, in the others eyes, and it would very difficult to reach common ground.

Humans are magnificent, yet pathetically tragic and insane, all rolled in one big doughy mess lol.

Here in Texas we ride steel horses. We have "motorcycle only" parking places all over the place. Has the rest of the world gone mad?

Here in Texas we honor "Cowboys Like Us".

[video=youtube;xtCBplAUXok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtCBplAUXok[/video]

Last edited:
My fiancee is a Home Visiting Nurse and she rides her CBR250R ABS as much as she can to save on fuel, and she loves to ride.

Recently her new patient is in a gated retirement community, and the first day she went to meet the patient she was stopped at the gate and told she couldn't enter on her motorcycle. They told her that motorcycles are too loud for the community and create bad smells. (Her's is a quiet, stock exhaust with a catalytic converter.)

As she parks her motorcycle outside the gates a straight pipe corvette rumbles in... And the first house has a Ferrari 458 parked in the driveway.

We filed a complaint with the housing agency. And told the new patient they should do the same to help. (he used to ride, didn't know the rule existed.)

Anyone who has ever had a Lambo or Ferrari or Maserati with a custom exhaust make them flinch and involuntarily do the :eek: WTF face when one has blipped the gas pedal close by, or gunned it past you on the road, knows that shrieking, ripping, high rpm sonic boom is something wondrous yet ear bleedingly obnoxious at the same time.

I wonder if an electric motorcycle like a Zero could be used to blatantly slap the faces of these high muckity mucks and their pretenciously genteel $100,000+ dollar exotic car free passes.

I guess they'd scramble to cite some other reason, like they are a "visual nuisance" or traumatic thing to be avoided, because they can fall over, lol.

I have read a few articles lately stating that these signs are popping up in a few places in Europe. What is causing this?
You read the articles but they didn't say "why" ???

I'll take a stab...

@sshole "bikers" with loud pipes...Just a guess ;-)

Or....

@asshole dirt rider ripping up private property and riding in areas that are off limits.

My considerably educated guess is that there is a real "reason" that these restrictions are in place. They are the result of well, some @asshole on a motorcycle. And we know there are a LOT of those!

We are our own worst enemy......

Last edited:
Unlike most motorcyclists, the 458 owner is intelligent enough to know that the throttle works both ways. He is able (even with a Tubi exhaust) to quietly rumble into this enclave. He is considerate of his neighbors and knows when it is appropriate to let the Italia sing a bit. That time <isn't> at 2 am when pulling into his driveway. This is a community of like minded individuals, that is one reason he/she lives here. It is a "pleasant" place to be. The $340K that they paid for the ride suggests a person with some acumen of social customs...Unless of course the Ferrari owner is a drug dealer ;-)

Obviously, the Chevy driver was just a visitor ;-)

Life is to short to drive a Chevy...

Last edited:
...The $340K that they paid for the ride suggests a person with some acumen of social customs...Unless of course the Ferrari owner is a drug dealer ;-)

Hahahahahahahaha

All Ferrari/Lamborghini/Maserati etc. drivers in Vancouver are seemingly young Asian gang members, drug dealers, and rich kids with satellite parents in HK. Most of them still have L and N decals on the plates! (Learner and New Driver)

They do NOT have the slightest regard for decorum, sound consideration or any other social niceties...

Town I grew up in had noise ordinance - great idea whether it's straight piped Harley's, thumping rice burner stereos or whatever else. No reason for me to have to listen to your obnoxious noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All most every town has an excessive noise ordinance. The problem comes from what the judge thinks is excessive and what is not excessive, and every judge has their own interpretation. That is why someone really has to go out of their way to get a police officer to write them a excessive noise ticket.

We had a dB listed on the signs. It was very clear, not subjective at all

We had a dB listed on the signs. It was very clear, not subjective at all

Noise is inversely proportional to square of distance. Sign of little use without saying where in relation to exhaust it is measured. If LEO sticks mike at tailpipe it is a world of difference than on curb,10' away, chest height.

Back