• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Electric Bikes For Motor Cops

That is really nice! I gotta say they have great taste, too. Their Zero motorcycles are the same model as mine, the DSR. They also have the same aftermarket windshield, the same rear rack, the parking brake option, and I also have those Givi E22 side bags (albeit on my NC, not my Zero).

I like that article. Thanks for posting!

these electric bikes are to expensive over here just over £20,000 not worth it in my book.
we watch that German guy ..mark travels on you tube. what a palava getting it charged up .
5 minutes fill up with petrol ..4 to 8 hrs to charge up. nah not for me bud.

Last edited:
these electric bikes are to expensive over here just over £20,000 not worth it in my book.
we watch that German guy ..mark travels on you tube. what a palava getting it charged up .
5 minutes fill up with petrol ..4 to 8 hrs to charge up. nah not for bud.
Did you test ride an electric motorcycle? What did you think of the propulsion system?

It takes me about 10 seconds to charge mine: 5 seconds to plug it in at the end of a ride, then 5 seconds to unplug it when I ride again.

Did you test ride an electric motorcycle? What did you think of the propulsion system?

It takes me about 10 seconds to charge mine: 5 seconds to plug it in at the end of a ride, then 5 seconds to unplug it when I ride again.

I understand that statistically electric motorcycles have sufficient range to exceed the average trip distance ICE motorcycles are used for today (in America). "Most" is the operative word. To go visit my daughter in Miami for lunch and back to Estero, I would have to charge at least twice, at 1-4 hours (per Zero and the dealer here in town). That is based on 70 miles per hour, no significant headwind, 175 pound rider, no requirement to accelerate quickly, limited hills, etc. In other words, ideal conditions. If i were to have taken a zero on my ride to Boynton Beach last week, I would have had to stop 3 times at a L2 charging station for between 1 and 4 hours, per Zero and the dealer.

That said, I am still thinking about buying one. I want something different and the DSR X is on my list. The C400GT meets a lot of my needs, and I am enjoying the NC less and less each time I ride it. The Tigers, Tracers, and MTs are all interesting too, and unquestionably more versatile than any Zero model. We'll see. I was supposed to go ride on today but strong winds and rain are rolling in. I might be able to get free for a few hours this week to ride one. This is the one I am looking at.

I understand that statistically electric motorcycles have sufficient range to exceed the average trip distance ICE motorcycles are used for today (in America). "Most" is the operative word. To go visit my daughter in Miami for lunch and back to Estero, I would have to charge at least twice, at 1-4 hours (per Zero and the dealer here in town). That is based on 70 miles per hour, no significant headwind, 175 pound rider, no requirement to accelerate quickly, limited hills, etc. In other words, ideal conditions. If i were to have taken a zero on my ride to Boynton Beach last week, I would have had to stop 3 times at a L2 charging station for between 1 and 4 hours, per Zero and the dealer.

That said, I am still thinking about buying one. I want something different and the DSR X is on my list. The C400GT meets a lot of my needs, and I am enjoying the NC less and less each time I ride it. The Tigers, Tracers, and MTs are all interesting too, and unquestionably more versatile than any Zero model. We'll see. I was supposed to go ride on today but strong winds and rain are rolling in. I might be able to get free for a few hours this week to ride one. This is the one I am looking at.

Regarding the ‘23 DSRX: Luggage, especially side cases, notably reduces my range on an ICE motorcycle. I would expect it to do the same on a battery powered motorcycle. I can’t know how other people plan to use their motorcycles, but for me personally, I would have no need for side cases on a short range bike. I do, at times, have a small, removable Givi top case on my Zero for weather related clothing changes, shoes, tire repair kit, etc. My Zero DSR has a frunk, too, much like the NC’s but smaller.

Your list of “ideal” riding conditions mentions 70 mph. 55 mph would be much more ideal, if range and efficiency are important. I can watch the Watt hours per mile readout and instantly see the detrimental effects of speed on energy use. Of course, the same physics apply to gasoline vehicles, but given the speeds they travel at, most drivers don’t seem to concern themselves much about efficiency.

My electric car or motorcycle have the range to cover the majority of my “daily” travels. When I need to go farther, haul something, or tow something that the EVs were not designed for, I have other (currently ICE) vehicles for that. As EVs evolve I expect they will gradually take on more roles.

Regarding the ‘23 DSRX: Luggage, especially side cases, notably reduces my range on an ICE motorcycle. I would expect it to do the same on a battery powered motorcycle. I can’t know how other people plan to use their motorcycles, but for me personally, I would have no need for side cases on a short range bike. I do, at times, have a small, removable Givi top case on my Zero for weather related clothing changes, shoes, tire repair kit, etc. My Zero DSR has a frunk, too, much like the NC’s but smaller.

Your list of “ideal” riding conditions mentions 70 mph. 55 mph would be much more ideal, if range and effiecieny are important. I can watch the watt hours per mile readout and instantly see the detrimental effects of speed on energy use. Of course, the same physics apply to gasoline vehicles, but given the speeds they travel at, most drivers don’t seem to concern themselves much about efficiency.

My electric car or motorcycle have the range to cover the majority of my “daily” travels. When I need to go farther, haul something, or tow something that the EVs were not designed for, I have other (currently ICE) vehicles for that. As EVs evolve I expect they will gradually take on more roles.
No doubt the cases will substantially impact range. But runs to local hardware stores, grocery stores, etc., is substantially in the mix of how I use my bikes today. I know there are other options, it's just a nice-to-have accessory for me.

The problem with the 55 MPH limit for me is that where I live in the County is developing. The speeds around the subdivisions are 45-55. I/2 mile either way and the speeds are 60. Not that I couldn't operate it at 55, but with all of the impatient drivers and road rage we see today I would not want to do that. If I were to drive less than 70 on I75 here in Lee County I think I would be attacked by a mob.

No doubt the cases will substantially impact range. But runs to local hardware stores, grocery stores, etc., is substantially in the mix of how I use my bikes today. I know there are other options, it's just a nice-to-have accessory for me.

The problem with the 55 MPH limit for me is that where I live in the County is developing. The speeds around the subdivisions are 45-55. I/2 mile either way and the speeds are 60. Not that I couldn't operate it at 55, but with all of the impatient drivers and road rage we see today I would not want to do that. If I were to drive less than 70 on I75 here in Lee County I think I would be attacked by a mob.
I agree. No matter what/where I ride or drive, other road users try to dictate my speeds more than I do.

Yesterday I passed through a very small town on my Zero. I slowed to the speed limit of 35 mph. It wasn’t long before an impatient car driver zipped around me and tore off well above the speed limit through the town’s small business district. People are so impatient these days.

are the front tires on those Police DSR's on backwards? The rears have the same pattern tires but the tread blocks go the opposite direction if I'm seeing it right.

are the front tires on those Police DSR's on backwards? The rears have the same pattern tires but the tread blocks go the opposite direction if I'm seeing it right.
Those are the stock tires, Pirelli MT60. I looked at mine. It is labeled for front fitment, and the direction arrow is correct. The tread pattern on mine is angled the same as in the police bike photo.

I used to think there was some logical, consistent angle direction for motorcycle tire tread patterns, but looking over numerous examples, I have found that there is no universal standard.

Things are evolving in EVs, not so much in ICE vehicles. Battery and charging technology is evolving. A Tesla on a level 3 station charges 50 to 80% in 20 to 40 minutes or enough to travel 150 to 200 miles. Ever time how long one of those cars blocking a gas pump at Bucees sits there? 25 minutes is nothing. So today the 2023 Zero can’t make Miami but a 202x might before too long.

I am interested in electric motorcycles. When I was shopping for the NC a Zero and a BMW electric scooter were on the short list. Price knocked them out. In retrospect they would not have been acceptable for the way I ride now. But like Dave said the technology and infrastructure is changing and expanding. Once the Can Am is paid off I may just add an EV motorcycle or scooter to the fleet. Would 3 bikes be considered a fleet?

A guy at my BMW motorcycle dealer has been riding a BMW C Evolution electric scooter regularly to work for at least the last 3 years. 50 mile round trip, He absolutely loves the bike.

Last edited:

Your list of “ideal” riding conditions mentions 70 mph. 55 mph would be much more ideal, if range and efficiency are important. I can watch the Watt hours per mile readout and instantly see the detrimental effects of speed on energy use. Of course, the same physics apply to gasoline vehicles, but given the speeds they travel at, most drivers don’t seem to concern themselves much about efficiency.

Sorry...the 70 MPH is the benchmarking speed Zero and the dealer used in thier calculations.

I am interested in electric motorcycles. When I was shopping for the NC a Zero and a BMW electric scooter were on the short list. Price knocked them out. In retrospect they would not have been acceptable for the way I ride now. But like Dave said the technology and infrastructure is changing and expanding. Once the Can Am is paid off I may just add an EV motorcycle or scooter to the fleet. Would 3 bikes be considered a fleet?

A guy at my BMW motorcycle dealer has been riding a BMW C Evolution electric scooter regularly to work for at least the last 3 years. 50 mile round trip, He absolutely loves the bike.
BMW's CE 04 is very roomy. The pictures just do not do it justice; it is large. Despite some issues, including a few design flaws (e.g. the turn signals are reportedly notorious for snapping off) the owners on other forums really seem to enjoy them.

3 bikes would actually be classified as a flotilla if I recall from my military days, but don't trust my memory and I was in the USAF not the USN.

Things are evolving in EVs, not so much in ICE vehicles. Battery and charging technology is evolving. A Tesla on a level 3 station charges 50 to 80% in 20 to 40 minutes or enough to travel 150 to 200 miles. Ever time how long one of those cars blocking a gas pump at Bucees sits there? 25 minutes is nothing. So today the 2023 Zero can’t make Miami but a 202x might before too long.
Good point but I am not confident that the battery tech will advance at any remarkable pace. I think that Toyota has the right idea with a closed loop EV model. First, it solves a lot of the battery recycling issues that concern me. Second, if tech changes, Toyota won't have to wait for Panasonic, BYD, SK, or CATL, to decide when it is right for them to retool for the new tech. Time will tell.

EDIT: Battery tech is evolving in range and chargeability. The problem is all the eggs are in the lithium ion/iron baskets and big battery companies are less than eager to retool.

Last edited:
The five year old Zero SR (that I got last summer) is awesome for city travels and daily use. In my use it averages near 1000 km per month in travel to/from work and shopping use. No issue with charging and range in that use. After up to 200 km (depending on routes taken, usually about half of it on the highway) it shows 20-30% charge left. Then it gets plugged in when I arrive at work. It's fully charged when I leave for home.
However. The range, recharge times and recharge locations have put a practical stop to my weekend trips to France/Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany. Even to longer same day return trips within NL. I miss those trips. If I had money and space for two bikes it wouldn't be an issue. Next summer will be used for more range and on location charge testing. If that doesn't work I guess options are back to NC, or a scooter.

Battery technology is not evolving at high speeds. It may look that way but for mass manufacturing we have only been getting around 1-3% improvements in energy density per year. We have been getting more longevity, mostly due to improved BMS and more knowledgeable owners. Yet there are still EV owners who don't plug their EV in when the battery is empty. Then they are all surprised when the battery is beyond recharge when they finally try to charge them and cry that all EV's suck.
Due to it's location on the periodic table and low potion levels we are more or less limited to Lithium based batteries for mass manufacturing.

Battery technology is not evolving at high speeds. It may look that way but for mass manufacturing we have only been getting around 1-3% improvements in energy density per year. We have been getting more longevity, mostly due to improved BMS and more knowledgeable owners. Yet there are still EV owners who don't plug their EV in when the battery is empty. Then they are all surprised when the battery is beyond recharge when they finally try to charge them and cry that all EV's suck.
Due to it's location on the periodic table and low potion levels we are more or less limited to Lithium based batteries for mass manufacturing.
There's no rush for private equity to move quickly on battery tech; big battery companies won't retool for the technology. Moving from liquid lithium batteries to solid state lithium batteries would cost billions across the industry As long as cars keep on selling, and batteries with liquid electrolytes remain in demand, there is no incentive to retool. If just say Panasonic or LG said bring me your solid state tech and I'll build or retool a factory, the rush would be on, charging times would be reduced (probably), batteries would last longer, and range could theoretically double. Metals availability now makes them expensive but supply will pass demand very soon...per the industries conducting the mining.

Back