• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New vs Used

Sfreak77

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all.

I've been saving up and I'm getting close to being able to buy my first NC700.
I'm seeing a lot of used NC's popping up because it's to cold to ride now.
Its tempting to buy the first one I can afford but I'm just not sure what to look out for.

Example.
I found a 2013 with 14k miles. Heated grips, and top carry case
Asking 5k.
the local Honda dealer has a new (leftover) 2015 for 7k out the door. Tags, inspection etc.

Basically I'm asking.
Its not like looking at a car.
What am I looking out for?
Should I keep saving and buy new?

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk

Definitely buy used from a private seller, but I think that 2013 is overpriced. Keep looking.

I don't know about PA, but in Illinois I would have to pay over $400 in sales tax on a new $7K bike from a dealer, but a used bike of any value from a private party would be taxed at $25. So you might consider tax impact in your state.

When throwing out prices, it's important whether they're for DCT or manual.

Last edited:
If the 2015 is truly $7000 out the door including EVERYTHING that sounds like a decent deal to me, especially if it's DCT. My local dealer is discounting the 2015's but only by about $500 and that doesn't include taxes, fees, etc.

I think new vrs. used is always a tough decision. I just bought mine new, but my last three motorcycles were used.
The plus of a used bike is if it has many expensive farkles. My DR came with about $1500 of after market gear. They should not add to the price of the bike. Check your local book value and that should be a maximum.
NC's are not moving that fast, so I think you could find a great used value. Doesn't some one here have one in Asheville for sale?

Used, with records. An owner that keeps records is good owner.
I agree with 670 that the one you are looking at is too high. The mileage is perfect though. If it was properly broke in (remember records?), a 13,000 mile bike is just starting to come into it's own.
I just sold mine with 18,000 miles on it for $2,900 with a reconstructed title. I wouldn't recommend buying one with a salvage/reconstructed title unless the owner has ALL the records of who did the work and what was replaced.
I had all my records.
I would think you could get a good used one for 1K less than the one you mentioned.

The 2014/2015 leftover non-DCT should be out the door for under 6k IMO. There are a bunch of Honda rebates and dealer specials right now to clear them out for the BIG 2016 push.

In may case, a 2014 non-DCT for $5800 OTD.

Then I added a bunch of goodies...and I hit $6700.

Used at this point are holding around the new leftover prices, but its hard to sell at that price point now to anyone who knows this, unless there is lots of farkel added in.

There's not a whole lot to look for buying these used because they are not the type to be abused. So you're just looking for the obvious drop, imperfections, and mods that may have been done. However, regarding records; an owner who changes their own oil wont have much more than this for records unless something went wrong...like the salvage deal above.

Last edited:
I bought my '12 new, in '12. If I was looking today, I'd consider my budget and also just look at the used bikes.

In my ~36,000 miles of NCX experience, which I freely admit is MUCH higher than the 'average' motorcycle owner (though not necessarily much higher than the average of the more senior members on this board, perhaps?), and my miles are nearly all highway, there's very little to 'look out for' on the NCX. It's a very solid bike. Look for damage, wear (tires, condition of sprockets and chain, brake pad wear, and so forth), rust at bearing areas, and the like. Start the bike and listen to it. There's a small amount of valve 'clatter,' and a difference in the sound the bike makes when the clutch is pulled in vs. let out. That's normal. Ride it if you possibly can. You're looking to see whether it rides straight and smooth, and just generally listening and feeling it. These bikes don't really have any special quirks I can think of off-hand, excepting that some of them (including mine) exhibit headshake upon deceleration in a speed range VERY roughly from 50 mph down to 30-ish mph.

If it looks and feels good, it most likely is. Ask about maintenance history, and ask for records. I don't exactly have a pile of receipts for mine, but I do have a service log file on my computer. I record all service and maintenance in that, and would happily print out a copy for a serious prospective buyer.

Then, you merely have to figure out whether you can sleep at night with your choice. Some people just can't sleep knowing that their bike is 'used' (as if that's any different than their own 'used' bike/car/whatever?). Doesn't matter whether you can or you can't, except to you. If you're one who can't sleep with a used bike, then save a while longer until you can afford a new one.

Enjoy!

We're all riding used motorcycles.

Know of new NCs near you at about $5K OTD

There are new 2015 NC 700x in PA for about $5K out the door

I recently bought one for about $4K -- i can provide you the details if you PM

Used bikes most times come with a lot of money in accessories that you are getting. Used bikes usually have very few miles on them, as to most folks motorcycles are a hobby.
Very few motorcycles are used as primary means of transportation.

My bike was a new 2012 leftover that I bought in 2013. The area you live in is not big on bikes that shift themselves so you may find one that has been sitting in dealers stock for a while. That usually spells better deal. With any bike new or used don't pay for accessories you don't want; for example if the the bike comes with side bags but you want a top case don't get talked into paying extra for side bags you won't use. Maybe they will trade you one for the other.

Whatever you do don't miss out on getting the bike you really want because it's 150.00 over your budget. That $150 will haunt you every time you get on that bike.

I bought my NC new only because there were no used bikes. I bought it in early 2013 so they had not been out long. Anyway, I buy everything used. Except the vehicles for the wife. LOL. The trick is not getting caught up in the excitement and buying the first one that comes along. Be patient and do your homework. You may or may not have to drive further than you like but getting the best bike for the best price requires some sacrifices.

Back