• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Rider-First Bike

golfbug412

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
This is my first bike I've ever owned...after completing the 3 day rider safety course I was bitten by the bug. I am about to have my first child and needed to supplement my golf addiction with something I can do to relieve stress that won't take over 5 hours a pop!...I bought the DCT version thinking it would be an easy first bike to operate and I could still enjoy the freedom of riding on my long winding back roads here in West Virginia...I am waiting to take it out until I get the lowering links installed to take it Dow 1.5" as I'm only right around 5'9"...glad to be a part of the forum and look forward to any and all advice from others with experience. I want to ride and enjoy my bike safely so any helpful insight would be appreciated!...

Max

Welcome Max,

With a low COG the Nc700X is a great bike for a beginner, a great bike for and old veteran returning to the sport, and a great bike for the experienced rider looking for a fun easy to ride alternative. I strongly recommend the book Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. I have been riding for thirty years and am reading it now with great interest.

Welcome from California! I too have little ones at home. I use my NC to commute as a stress reliever. As my commute to and from work is 50miles one way, some of it along a windy levy road that many riders cruise on during the weekend. It make my commute so much more enjoyable when I ride the NC. Enjoy yours and ride safe! I had an accident on my last bike while my wife was pregnant with our second child, she was none to happy about that.

Welcome Max,

With a low COG the Nc700X is a great bike for a beginner, a great bike for and old veteran returning to the sport, and a great bike for the experienced rider looking for a fun easy to ride alternative. I strongly recommend the book Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. I have been riding for thirty years and am reading it now with great interest.

I second that, I'm reading that book as well. Also read "Twist of the Wrist II", there is a video for that one too. I read the book and watched the video multiple times since getting back in the saddle. Learned a lot from it, made me realize some mistakes that I had made leading up to my last accident. I ride much more cautiously now.;)

Hi and welcome from Houston, TX. I also bought my DCT version last week and thoroughly enjoying it. It is one of (if not the) most easiest bikes to ride with the real low CG being a major contributing factor.

BTW, I'm 5' 8' with a 30" inseam and though I'm not totally flat foot, I'm almost there and very comfortable. You're an inch taller so I'm curious as to why you're looking into lowering your bike.

Yeah, I am with most of the other guys on here. I'm 5' 7 & 3/4", 30" jean inseam and no problem getting both feet down. The low center of gravity really makes me comfortable with this bike regardless if it was a little taller. I have the 6 speed manual if that makes any difference. Anyway, stay safe with young ones at home.

My wife is 5' 1" . I just lowered her bike with an adjustable link. She wanted to be able to sit on the bike flat footed. I adjusted the rear down 1.5" and raised the forks the same amount. I cut 1.5" off the side stand and rewelded it, but it is still too long. I will take another inch off tomorrow.

She is smiling now.

Thanks to everyone for the kind welcome...I am not quite flat footed on it and have around a 29 inch inseam. I can get the ball of my foot on the ground but just feel that installing the lowering links will provide a sense of feeling a bit safer out on the road. I installed a center stand last night and absolutely love that feature!...I am curious about a taller windscreen but my understanding is that functioned extremely well in the wind tunnel testing. I guess I just think its a bit small looking. Again I thank all of you for your warm welcome and look forward to checking out the recommended books/videos as well as reading all of the upcoming posts!...this is the first forum I've ever belonged to and am excited to learn as much as I can not only about the bike itself but motorcycle riding in general!...

Max

I'm 5'10" and have the Honda tall screen and I'm not 100% pleased with it. You maybe or you may not as well. It's just not tall enough for me, it keeps the wind off of my chest but buffets my helmet around where the stock screen let alot of the wind hit my chest, but helmet was quieter and more stable. I will eventually replace mine when I find something more suitable to my tastes.

Back