• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Member in Northern CA

CARIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
Been lurking here a while taking in all the great info- thought it's about time to introduce myself! I've been commuting a couple years on my Vespa GT200 and really enjoy it- problem is I find myself now going for longer rides on weekends and am looking for a bit more bike. Test rode a manual NC700 and REALLY liked it- though for commuting in traffic I'm committed to finding a good used DCT... somewhere.. There have not
been any available in Northern CA for a few weeks now. Because of that I have expanded my search out of state- this website has been incredibly helpful in this process and I'm now ready to pull the trigger on an out of state bike and have it shipped to me. Just curious anyone out there who has bought a bike without inspecting it personally if you have any words of wisdom?

I would rather be patient or buy new than buy a bike site unseen. Though if I had someone I could reasonably trust to check it out and report back, MAYBE.

Hi All,
Been lurking here a while taking in all the great info- thought it's about time to introduce myself! I've been commuting a couple years on my Vespa GT200 and really enjoy it- problem is I find myself now going for longer rides on weekends and am looking for a bit more bike. Test rode a manual NC700 and REALLY liked it- though for commuting in traffic I'm committed to finding a good used DCT... somewhere.. There have not
been any available in Northern CA for a few weeks now. Because of that I have expanded my search out of state- this website has been incredibly helpful in this process and I'm now ready to pull the trigger on an out of state bike and have it shipped to me. Just curious anyone out there who has bought a bike without inspecting it personally if you have any words of wisdom?
If you buy one from out-of-state, make sure it is CARB rated or has the # of miles acceptable for the California BMV or you wont be able to register it.

I called Honda and found out all 2012 and 2013 DCT models are "50 state" and OK in CA- thanks to this forum, I know where the sticker is to double check

If it's less than a few thousand miles I'm not to concerned about maintenance issues- as long as they can prove the initial break in oil change was completed

was thinking of using a motorcycle escrow service, or credit card if they take it so I have some protection from outright fraud

Mostly worried about a wrecked bike that looks ok in pictures but has issues. I know title check services are supposed to find this, but I can't imagine they are 100%

Am I missing anything here?

Flying and riding would be great- though I don't have the time for that now

Welcome CARIDER, you should post up the ad for the bike you've found(if there is one). There maybe a forum member close by that would go look at it.

I live near Sacramento/Roseville area. If you get one, we'll have to ride. I've yet to see a NC700 in the wild, besides mine. :) ps: I love my DCT

I didn't purchase my bike out of state, but purchased a boston whaler 190 montauk out of state.
I was considering other boats (same model), but this guy seems to be honest. He sent me photo's inside/outside of the boat and motor.
the original purchase price, all maintenance work including hours on it and dmv documents.
after about a month of emailing, then talking on the phone with him. I took a leap of faith and bought it.
I had the boat shipped over by uship. Basically truckers that bid for your business. I picked the best price per performance rating.
It arrived from the east coast to the west coast really quick. Like less than a week. The truck driver had a partner and they shared driving responsibilities and they drove non stop.

boat was very nice. Show room condition. I rated a 9 out of 10.
So do your home work and talk to the seller for a long time. Get as much info on the bike as you can from the original owner. Ask him to send photos (lots of it) and also video too if possible.

Good Luck,
Ken

I called Honda and found out all 2012 and 2013 DCT models are "50 state" and OK in CA- thanks to this forum, I know where the sticker is to double check

If it's less than a few thousand miles I'm not to concerned about maintenance issues- as long as they can prove the initial break in oil change was completed

was thinking of using a motorcycle escrow service, or credit card if they take it so I have some protection from outright fraud

Mostly worried about a wrecked bike that looks ok in pictures but has issues. I know title check services are supposed to find this, but I can't imagine they are 100%

Am I missing anything here?

Flying and riding would be great- though I don't have the time for that now

Welcome to the forum. I don't know about title check services but I have heard that the info outfits like Carfax sells is voluntarily provided. I you do do a flay and ride try to line up a local mechanic or dealer to take a look at the bike if you don't know what to look for. You'll have to pay their hourly rate, I'm sure. The DCT is a helluva bike, mine is or was until it started snowing. Still is. Will be when Spring comes.

I once flew to Barcelona, from Mallorca, to buy a bike I had only see in pictures. Once there, I did inspect The bike from A to Z, And then rode it for a while. Everything seemed ok and indeed it was. Payed for it and back home.
If it had been not ok, just a bad try and a free Day to explore BCN

Enviado

Thanks for the tips! The bike below looks like a good prospect in Chandler AZ at RideNow Powersports. Thought it would be worth posting here in the off chance anyone is familiar with this bike? Or willing to take a look at it for a nominal $25 gift card or donation to your favorite charity... including this forum!

Honda NC700X.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 6.46.05 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 6.46.05 PM.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 156
Welcome from Sonoma County California!!!

Where in NorCal are you? If anywhere nearby, I'll be glad to help with maintenance.

An NC is pretty basic so a bike with a few thousand miles probably will be good to go. Check the front of the engine for leaking, the oil pan, the condition of the OEM tires and other obvious signs of missuse. The rest is pretty easy to fix if something comes up.

FYI, I'd sacrifice a few miles for a top box and the mounting hardware. That's worth a good $500+. So between those two Id go for the first one.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything.

Got it! Not sure why picture is sideways?
Came with center stand, heated grips, light bar, plug in frunk
image.jpg

Last edited:
Back