• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Member...About to purchase a 2012 NC700X...Anything to look out for ??? Thanks

Ferndiego12

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello to all and thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum. I have found it full of good information and great advice. I am a long time motorcycle rider and helped my younger sister purchase he very first motorcycle a few months ago . It was a 2015 NC700X which she purchased new (left over) from a Honda Dealership. She is loving the bike and really likes the storage it offers and the balance of the bike.
To keep things interesting , I am also about to purchase a 2012 NC700x with about 9800 miles on it. It appears to be in very good condition and I am getting it from the original owner who has performed regular oil /filter changes, etc. The only thing that I noticed is the chain being pretty loose so it may soon need replacing. I would appreciate any feedback on what problem areas or recalls the 2012 NC700X may have. I believe this was the first model year for this bike . Thanks again to everyone in advance for your feedback. Fernando

Last edited:
Hello to all and thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum. I have found it full of good information and great advice. I am a long time motorcycle rider and helped my younger sister purchase he very first motorcycle. Yes it was also a 2015 NC700X which she purchased new (left over) from a Honda Dealership.
To keep tings interesting , I am also about to purchase a 2012 NC700x with about 9800 miles on it. It appears to be in very good condition and I am getting it from
the original owner who has performed regular oil /filter changes, etc. I would appreciate any feedback on what problem areas or recalls the 2012 NC700X may have. I believe this was the first model year for this bike so I hope I didn't make a mistake. Thanks again to everyone in advance.

I have a 2012, and as far as I know there are no specific issues.. I bought one with about 7000 miles, and just adjusted the valves and changed the oil/filter at 8k. It is and probableywill be trouble free.

To keep things interesting , I am also about to purchase a 2012 NC700x with about 9800 miles on it.

I believe this was the first model year for this bike.
Is your sister a member yet? Good luck on your acquisition. You are right about 2012 being the first model year but don't worry about that. My first NC' was a NOS 2012 manual trans and then I bought a used 2012 DCT and enjoyed them very much. I'm on my third NC' now, a 2016 DCT (updated styling change) and still hooked on them.

Ray

The chain may need to be replaced or the slack may just need adjusting. Check the indicator on the swingarm. Adjustment just takes some of your time. Good luck :)

I have owned my 2012 for over four years and I'm closing in on 45K miles. I have only had one minor issue which was unique to anything I have seen on this forum. There does not appear to be any trends with mechanical issues related to the 2012 model. If that bike has the stock chain, it is probably time for a replacement. You might look at the front brake pads but most people make it beyond 20K easy. You mentioned oil and filter changes, what about the valves. I waited until 12K but most have them checked sooner. I would imagine the rear tire is getting close to its end of life unless it was changed already. Otherwise, good luck with the purchase. It's a a good bike.

The 2012 had only one recall issued, and it was for the final drive chain. Dealers replaced the chain if it met the effectivity for the recall, which was for side plates being insufficiently hardened by the chain supplier. Go to the Honda site and put in your VIN to check the status. Recall Information - Honda Powersports

As far as your loose chain goes, if it's not badly kinked and hasn't reached the wear limit indicator on the swing arm, then adjust it per the owner's manual and keep riding.

I own two 2012s and they work fine, last a long time. Guaranteed not to rust, bust, or collect dust.

Last edited:
Nofear2trek, thanks for the reply and for the feedback on your NC's. Sounds like they were very good rides. To answer your question, I don't think my sister has joined this forum yet, but I will make sure to encourage her to do so. From what I have seen so far it is full of great members and great information as well. Thanks again Fernando

potter0o thanks for the reply. I think you may be correct in suggesting the chain may need to be replaced. I took a quick look at the rear swing arm and the axle was
about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through adjustment slot in the swing arm and the chain was still pretty loose. I may find that when the rear axle is moved to the maximum rear position in the swing arm the chain may still be too loose. We will see, but I will look in this forum for good parts retailers so I can start sopping for a chain very soon.
Thanks again, Fernando

SergeantChuck , thanks for your reply to my post. I am feeling much better based on the input I have received regarding the NC700x. Sounds like they are pretty solid bikes.
I agree with you that it may be time to start shopping for a replacement chain. I took a quick look at the brake pads and they looked like they had plenty of material left on them. Both tires looked very good and according to the seller they were replaced about 10 months ago. I did not ask bout valve adjustment, but I plan on dong that very soon after I get the bike. I will swing by the local Honda motor sports dealer and get some coolant to drain and fill the radiator after I check the valve lash. From what I have read on this forum most NC700X bikes hold the factory valve lash settings pretty well, but I am going to check them ASAP anyway. Nothing ruins a day faster than a tight exhaust valve..... Thanks again, Fernando

670cc , thanks for your input. I am going to clean/lube and adjust the chain as soon as I get it home. If after adjusting the chain the rear axle is at or close to the limit indicator, it will be NEW Chain time for sure. Based on how loose it is and where the axle is currently (about 1/2 way to limit) it may be time to start shopping now for a chain. I will know for sure soon. Picking up the NC700x tomorrow . I am glad to hear that these bikes seem to be very solid and I am looking forward to some worry free casual riding.
Thanks again, Fernando

potter0o thanks for the reply. I think you may be correct in suggesting the chain may need to be replaced. I took a quick look at the rear swing arm and the axle was
about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through adjustment slot in the swing arm and the chain was still pretty loose. I may find that when the rear axle is moved to the maximum rear position in the swing arm the chain may still be too loose. We will see, but I will look in this forum for good parts retailers so I can start sopping for a chain very soon.
Thanks again, Fernando

Good timing, I just ordered my kit yesterday. 520 Chain Kit - JT Brand Steel Sprockets with Your Choice of X'ring Chain - HONDA NC 700 2012-2016 - NC 700S/ 700X - Standard - Honda - STREET

I read a lot of stuff and got this set up with a spare link. Price was pretty reasonable. I may have been able to save a dollar or two but didn't want to deal with multiple suppliers for the small savings. Often the freight charges ordering things separately doesn't make it cost effective. Good luck :)

potter0o, thanks again for your note. I did go ahead and purchase the 2012 NC700X . This morning I cleaned and lubricated the original chain. It has a few binding links so I will be right behind you in ordering a replacement chain. The sprockets still looked very good, so I am pretty confident that they will hold up for another 10K miles or so. I also went ahead
and bled out the old brake fluid on both front and rear brakes and re-filled them with DOT4 synthetic brake fluid. The fluid for the front brakes was looking brownish through the sight window, so I figured why not start with fresh brake fluid for both brakes. Next weekend I plan on adjusting the valves and changing coolant. The original owner informed me that he did not have the valves adjusted since the 500 mile service. With any luck that will be it for a while as far as maintenance goes. Then it will be time to enjoy riding it ...

Back