• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New-ish Rider checking in with you guys from San Diego...about to pick up a '16 DCT!

Reaction score
Visit site
Chick Rider here & I am ready to ride! Have been riding sport bikes for a few years and due to some physical limitations I've encountered recently, have decided to give my hands a break and go with a DCT model. Even though I have received a lot of flak from some peeps (not on here, of course) for the very thought of riding a motorcycle without a manual clutch, I know I'm making the right decision. Besides, they're not going to be riding it...I am! I've only ever had manual cars & prefer it that way; however, my hands must be getting weaker as I get older (I'm 54) so this will be awesome!

Just put down a deposit yesterday on the '16 DCT and will be picking her up this weekend. I'm very excited! I don't think I slept at all last night...I'm the Queen of "second-guessing" just about everything I do. I did test-ride the manual version a couple weeks ago and it was fun, easy to ride, flickable, very maneuverable, and I can flat-foot it. But, since my hb and I tour frequently, we both thought having a DCT would be a huge help while riding around different areas all day long putting in hundreds of miles a day. Getting older does play a factor even though we are both pretty active and try our best to stay in shape.

Next step will be to practice riding a DCT in slow-speed maneuvers and getting the general feel of it. Then, finding the necessary mods.

Not sure if panniers fit if the fender is removed, though...anyone know the answer to this? I do already have Oxford heated grips to install and will probably get hand guards as well...was thinking the Acerbis Vision to add more lighting. Also crash bars and no idea what will fit.

Watch out, world, cuz I'll be coming around a corner soon!

Howdy from Texas! You will be more than happy with the DCT. Another seat will be a must if you plan on touring on the NC. The best seat made for touring is made in California, the Russel Day Long Seat. It is not the cheapest seat made, but it is worth the money. I have 92,000 touring miles on my NC7. There are so many touring accessories for the NC7 listed on this sight. Here is a list of the touring accessories I have on my bike - Nana Chou.

Rox Riser “2”
J&M Drink Holder
Trackside Aluminum Hand Guard Kit with Shields
Mirror Extenders
2 Bike Master Power Outlets - One on handle bars, one in frunk
Kuryakyn Iphone Handlebar Mount
Universal Vista Cruise Control
Cramp Buster
Utopia Back Rest
Rivco 7/8” Highway Peg mounts for GL1800
Rivco Anti Vibration Pegs Black Powder Coat
Givi Engine Guards
Givi Trekker Fog Lights
Givi Trekker 33 liter Saddlebags
Givi Trekker 54 liter Trunk
Givi Trekker truck and saddlebag mount
2 Koplin 1 ½ gal Fuel Pack Jr with Mount
Rotoplax Universal Double Mounting Plate
Terapump TRFA01 4 AA Battery Powered Transfer Fuel Pump
¾ Square tube Homemade Gas tank mounts
2 Tool tubes mounted Inside Givi Racks
2 Welding Rod storage tubes on Rear Rack
Honda Center Stand
Hepco & Becker Skid Plate
First gear DC Coax Jack Panel Mount w/ 8in Coax Plug Cable
Iphone
First Gear Laguna Mini Hard Tank Bag
Copland Seat
National Cycle Vsteam Touring Tall Clear Windshield
Bell Compass
Go Pro Hero 3+
Selfie Stick
U Clear 200 Communication System
AFX FX140 Helmet

In Frunk at all Times:
Rachet Set
Assorted tools in Bag
Slime Comp03 12 Volt Tire Inflator Pump with Gage and Light
Motion Pro Chain Breaker Press and Riveting Tool With an extra chain link

Alaska.jpg

Greetings and salutations :)

I am not quite following this, though: "Not sure if panniers fit if the fender is removed" :confused:

Greetings and salutations :)

I am not quite following this, though: "Not sure if panniers fit if the fender is removed" :confused:

I just want to make sure the any saddlebags or panniers I get will still fit if I've done a "fender eliminator". I've had bikes before where, if I did a fender eliminator, the bags didn't fit correctly...usually because the taillights got moved & are then in the way. Hope that makes sense?

kinda hard to remove a rear fender when there isn't one; basically what is back there is the license plate holder. The brake light and turn signals are part of the rear end of the bike but I wouldn't call it a fender.

I just want to make sure the any saddlebags or panniers I get will still fit if I've done a "fender eliminator". I've had bikes before where, if I did a fender eliminator, the bags didn't fit correctly...usually because the taillights got moved & are then in the way. Hope that makes sense?

Ah, I see! Duh. :eek:

It will depend on the brand of saddle bags, a little bit I guess.

Trax bags have a cross connecting bar that uses the rear licence plate/fender area to bolt to, so if that whole section was removed, it might be a bit wobbly for the pannier mounts.

I don't think the OEM Honda ones need any of that rear fender part to attach. But to use the Honda bags, you have to use the Honda rack, which is quite a big structure, so IMHO it might look a bit funny and defeat the purpose to have a nice sleek minimalist tail, with a big 'ol luggage rack hanging out there, lol.

Good point about the rear turn signals needing relocation- you would need to figure out something for them as well.

I think mixing a fender eliminator and wanting saddle bags is a bit at cross purposes, myself.

Welcome fellow Californian. I'm up here in Orange County. First thing you should put on is a radiator Guard. The radiator is very susceptible to rocks and other debris. Another forum member had a rock take out his radiator and it ended up costing him about $600 to replace it. If you plan on riding longer trips and skid plate will also be a great addition to reduce any damage to the sump and/or the oil filter. I have another post on here with all of the stuff I put on. Don't want to overwhelm you. If your bike came with the Dunlop Trailmax's it's unlikely you'll get more than 4,000 miles out of them. I have 2,800 on mine and they are at the beginning of the wearbars.

Other than that, just ride it a lot. I went to the DCT because of hand problems as well. Working the clutch just got way too painful after 30 years of riding. It's strange at first, but once you adjust you'll appreciate never having to slip the clutch at a stoplight again. Once you get the hang of the paddle shifters you will like them as well. I'm real happy with my 2015 and am jealous that you have the latest generation of the DCT with the three sport modes.

Welcome fellow Californian. I'm up here in Orange County. First thing you should put on is a radiator Guard. The radiator is very susceptible to rocks and other debris. Another forum member had a rock take out his radiator and it ended up costing him about $600 to replace it. If you plan on riding longer trips and skid plate will also be a great addition to reduce any damage to the sump and/or the oil filter. I have another post on here with all of the stuff I put on. Don't want to overwhelm you. If your bike came with the Dunlop Trailmax's it's unlikely you'll get more than 4,000 miles out of them. I have 2,800 on mine and they are at the beginning of the wearbars.

Other than that, just ride it a lot. I went to the DCT because of hand problems as well. Working the clutch just got way too painful after 30 years of riding. It's strange at first, but once you adjust you'll appreciate never having to slip the clutch at a stoplight again. Once you get the hang of the paddle shifters you will like them as well. I'm real happy with my 2015 and am jealous that you have the latest generation of the DCT with the three sport modes.

Thank you for that great tip!

Howdy from Vermont. On the 2016 model DCT bike you get the expanded Sport mode with three levels instead of the one the older bikes like mine have. Good luck.

Yeah, I was reading about that but it didn't get very detailed on how each Sport mode worked. Thanks for the welcome!

Back