• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New grips coming, and how to install.

I had a few minutes while the Grandsons were watching TV so I escaped to the garage to install the grips on the 700 and 500.

I have used these grips on my XR650L and put a lot of road miles on them as well as dirt. They helped with the vibration of a big single and provide excellent grip without having to use a lot of grip pressure. This helps prevent arm pump when riding off road.
View attachment 18300

Tape, grip solvent and glue remover.
View attachment 18301

I do at least three sets of golf clubs every year so I do buy in bulk.
View attachment 18302

View attachment 18303

I just cut off the old grips with a razor knife.
View attachment 18305

There is a bit of glue to remove.
View attachment 18304

I just wrap the tape like so. I always put a wrap on the end out of habit, it is probably not needed.
View attachment 18306

I spray solvent on bar and inside of grip and them just slide on.
View attachment 18307

When I removed the grip off the throttle tube I was surprised to see such a good design. There was no glue, the grip has indentations to fit into the ridges on the throttle tube and the grip also goes over both ends of the tube. Looked like a very good design. I cut the ridge off the outboard side to make installation of the new grip easier.
View attachment 18308

I followed the same procedure on the throttle though. I should have pushed the grip a little further on though. Because did not I had to cut the end of the grip off so it would not hang up on the bar end. I did it correctly on the 500. The new grips are a bit longer but with care they will fit and not hang up on either side.
View attachment 18309

My bike when complete.
View attachment 18310

Cathy's
View attachment 18311

I am not suggesting that this is the way it should be done. It is just the way I have been doing it for years and it has never let me down. I believe if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike,
Nice write up with photos. I now know what to expect when I remove my grips. That Honda throttle tube is very unique to me. Never had a bike with grippers built into the throttle tube.
One question, is the tape you are using and showing just plain old masking tape? Or is it some specialized type of tape for installing grips?
Thanks again for the informative write up.
PCG

Mike,
Nice write up with photos. I now know what to expect when I remove my grips. That Honda throttle tube is very unique to me. Never had a bike with grippers built into the throttle tube.
One question, is the tape you are using and showing just plain old masking tape? Or is it some specialized type of tape for installing grips?
Thanks again for the informative write up.
PCG

It is two sided tape, sticky on both sides. I think carpet tape is close. The tape is only as thick as masking tape. I mention the thickness because I do have two sided tape that is much thicker.

Interesting, I don't I could trust that. But it seems to work well for you. How would you do it with open end grips like I purchased.

They twist a little bit (only noticeable over the course of a few months). The extra width of the grip heaters helps keep them in place. They install just like the ones you have. I cut the end caps off the 714 model so that it still works with bar end weights.

They twist a little bit (only noticeable over the course of a few months). The extra width of the grip heaters helps keep them in place. They install just like the ones you have. I cut the end caps off the 714 model so that it still works with bar end weights.

For those that use closed end grips. The method I used to open them up, is to get a piece of 3/4" copper pipe(7/8" OD) and sharpen the end from the inside. Then place inside grip against closed end and hit with a hammer. It makes a clean cut.

I am sure your correct about heated grips. I wouldn't know since I don't use them.

I have never tried just using IPA, it is good to know someone has used that and it works. The lighter fluid worked much the same way. But once the bond is broken it will slip. On street bikes that is probably unlikely.

Since I have everything on hand to install grips using grip tape and nonflamable grip solvent, I will stick to it. Like I said, I will show how a golf club assembler would do it. If you have a method you would like to share, please do.

Cheers,

Mike
I use Renthal Grip Glue. The tape wouldn't work for me as I install heated grips on my bikes.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/735-symtech-heated-grips.html

Don't know if it would soften the adhesive but I don't need to reinvent the wheel. Renthal Grip Glue has lasted 8 years 137,000 miles on the ST....2 years 25,000 miles on the NC after installing the grips over heating elements.

Don't know if it would soften the adhesive but I don't need to reinvent the wheel. Renthal Grip Glue has lasted 8 years 137,000 miles on the ST....2 years 25,000 miles on the NC after installing the grips over heating elements.

That's great. I just did not know the answer. I though maybe you had first hand knowledge about the tape. Since you had mentioned it twice I thought there may be more to the story.

I ride for pleasure and don't plan on riding when it is that cold. I have no need for heated grips.

That's great. I just did not know the answer. I though maybe you had first hand knowledge about the tape. Since you had mentioned it twice I thought there may be more to the story.

I ride for pleasure and don't plan on riding when it is that cold. I have no need for heated grips.
I ride for pleasure too, who rides for pain?

Even though I live in a moderate, even sub tropical climate, I do travel some and and I ride year round. For me using heated grips allows wearing lighter weight gloves (try using a touch screen GPS with heavy gloves) when it's "cold" or makes the first hour or two of a 35 or 40 degree F day more pleasant. The same with heated clothing. It just makes riding in cool weather safer and more enjoyable.

I ride for pleasure too, who rides for pain?

Even though I live in a moderate, even sub tropical climate, I do travel some and and I ride year round. For me using heated grips allows wearing lighter weight gloves (try using a touch screen GPS with heavy gloves) when it's "cold" or makes the first hour or two of a 35 or 40 degree F day more pleasant. The same with heated clothing. It just makes riding in cool weather safer and more enjoyable.

That's good to know. When I get real old I will probably give that a try.

Back