• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New grips coming, and how to install.

Cigar Mike

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have ordered some new grips for both the NC700X and Cathy's CB500X. I have these grips on our Dual Sport bikes and like the grip as well as the comfort.
I got the Pro Grip 719 RVGS open end. They should be here in the next couple of days. I will post a how to, the way a golf club maker would do it. It is simple and fast and provides sure adhesion to the bars. I have doing it this way for over 25 years and have never had a grip slip and most of them installed have been on offroad bikes.

I also have used golf-grip tape on all my bikes where I've changed grips...which come to think of it is all of them. Back in my cruiser days, some guys would buy the fancy expensive Kuryakyn grips and install them with the supplied super-glue. It worked great until you needed to remove them and had to destroy them to get them off or didn't work fast enough and only got them half way on before it dried. :rolleyes:

I use hairspray to 'glue' my grips down. Been doing this for years. Works great. Doesn't dry too fast.

I also have used golf-grip tape on all my bikes where I've changed grips...which come to think of it is all of them. Back in my cruiser days, some guys would buy the fancy expensive Kuryakyn grips and install them with the supplied super-glue. It worked great until you needed to remove them and had to destroy them to get them off or didn't work fast enough and only got them half way on before it dried. :rolleyes:

You let the cat out of the bag. Years ago I would use lighter fluid and nothing else. But then they made it against the law to use lighter fluid on barbeques and you could not buy it in California. I had started assembling clubs and it was a no brainer to go the same with motorcycle grips.

You let the cat out of the bag. Years ago I would use lighter fluid and nothing else. But then they made it against the law to use lighter fluid on barbeques and you could not buy it in California. I had started assembling clubs and it was a no brainer to go the same with motorcycle grips.

Oh geez sorry. :( I guess I should have picked up that you were trying to build the suspense. Hey though, I didn't explain the whole process so I am sure there are others who would welcome the tutorial when it comes time. I owe you a cigar in atonement.

Oh geez sorry. :( I guess I should have picked up that you were trying to build the suspense. Hey though, I didn't explain the whole process so I am sure there are others who would welcome the tutorial when it comes time. I owe you a cigar in atonement.

No worries, just kidding. I did a how to at a couple of DS forums and got no response to it at all. I am surprised that someone else has done it this way also. I posted it because someone had posted the whole glue and safety wire way. It seems like a waste of time when grip tape and grip solvent is incredibly strong.

Cheers,

Mike

well I don't play golf so I'm keen to know the secret.. I'm also keen to know in the land of the free what communist unpatriotic deed the humble lighter fluid did to get on the most unwanted list?

I got the Pro Grip 719 RVGS open end. They should be here in the next couple of days. I will post a how to, the way a golf club maker would do it. It is simple and fast and provides sure adhesion to the bars. I have doing it this way for over 25 years and have never had a grip slip and most of them installed have been on offroad bikes.

Tape is a terrible solution as the adhesive will "Soften" when it is heated over and over again. I've used Three Bond 1194, it’s the same as Honda Bond for the last two bikes I’ve installed Heated Grips onto. It’s quite sticky and has a strong odor to it, but it gets the job done. If you have to remove the grips for any reason, it can be done with a little persuasion.

The grips that you have called out are “NOT” heated grips at all. They are standard “GEL” grips. I use IPA (isopropyl alcohol) of a minimum rating of 70% for the installation. These grips will “Grip” the bar and throttle sleeve and there’s “NO” need for added adhesive.

Tape is a terrible solution as the adhesive will "Soften" when it is heated over and over again. I've used Three Bond 1194, it’s the same as Honda Bond for the last two bikes I’ve installed Heated Grips onto. It’s quite sticky and has a strong odor to it, but it gets the job done. If you have to remove the grips for any reason, it can be done with a little persuasion.

The grips that you have called out are “NOT” heated grips at all. They are standard “GEL” grips. I use IPA (isopropyl alcohol) of a minimum rating of 70% for the installation. These grips will “Grip” the bar and throttle sleeve and there’s “NO” need for added adhesive.

I am sure your correct about heated grips. I wouldn't know since I don't use them.

I have never tried just using IPA, it is good to know someone has used that and it works. The lighter fluid worked much the same way. But once the bond is broken it will slip. On street bikes that is probably unlikely.

Since I have everything on hand to install grips using grip tape and nonflamable grip solvent, I will stick to it. Like I said, I will show how a golf club assembler would do it. If you have a method you would like to share, please do.

Cheers,

Mike

well I don't play golf so I'm keen to know the secret.. I'm also keen to know in the land of the free what communist unpatriotic deed the humble lighter fluid did to get on the most unwanted list?

It is an air pollution prevention measure. We were not allowed to burn wood in our fire places either. Poor California, they have no water, but plenty of regulations. The year long good weather there means watering grass and trees year round.
I moved to Colorado to get away from the craziness. If I miss it, I just go visit Boulder.

Mike,
When,do we get the full instructions and photos of how to install grips using golf club grip tape and a non-flammable liquid, to be named, for us old school guys who use hair spray or alcohol to install our grips?
Is golf club grip tape similar to tennis racket grip tape?
Thanks

Mike,
When,do we get the full instructions and photos of how to install grips using golf club grip tape and a non-flammable liquid, to be named, for us old school guys who use hair spray or alcohol to install our grips?
Is golf club grip tape similar to tennis racket grip tape?
Thanks

The grips arrived yesterday afternoon. I hope to have time tomorrow. I am not familiar with tennis equipment.

I've had a lot of success using no fluid whatsoever. I have a cheapo sport ball (football, basketball, soccer ball) inflation needle that I attach to my air compressor. Slip that in and open the air and it creates a cushion of air for the old grips to slide off on and the new grips to slide in on. I use grip heaters so adhesives are not effective. I've done this with ProGrip 714's for several different models now. It's completely painless and a pretty quick procedure.

I've had a lot of success using no fluid whatsoever. I have a cheapo sport ball (football, basketball, soccer ball) inflation needle that I attach to my air compressor. Slip that in and open the air and it creates a cushion of air for the old grips to slide off on and the new grips to slide in on. I use grip heaters so adhesives are not effective. I've done this with ProGrip 714's for several different models now. It's completely painless and a pretty quick procedure.

Interesting, I don't I could trust that. But it seems to work well for you. How would you do it with open end grips like I purchased.

Installed

I had a few minutes while the Grandsons were watching TV so I escaped to the garage to install the grips on the 700 and 500.

I have used these grips on my XR650L and put a lot of road miles on them as well as dirt. They helped with the vibration of a big single and provide excellent grip without having to use a lot of grip pressure. This helps prevent arm pump when riding off road.
001.jpg

Tape, grip solvent and glue remover.
002.jpg

I do at least three sets of golf clubs every year so I do buy in bulk.
003.jpg

006.jpg

I just cut off the old grips with a razor knife.
004.jpg

There is a bit of glue to remove.
007.jpg

I just wrap the tape like so. I always put a wrap on the end out of habit, it is probably not needed.
009.jpg

I spray solvent on bar and inside of grip and them just slide on.
013.jpg

When I removed the grip off the throttle tube I was surprised to see such a good design. There was no glue, the grip has indentations to fit into the ridges on the throttle tube and the grip also goes over both ends of the tube. Looked like a very good design. I cut the ridge off the outboard side to make installation of the new grip easier.
010.jpg

I followed the same procedure on the throttle though. I should have pushed the grip a little further on though. Because did not I had to cut the end of the grip off so it would not hang up on the bar end. I did it correctly on the 500. The new grips are a bit longer but with care they will fit and not hang up on either side.
011.jpg

My bike when complete.
012.jpg

Cathy's
014.jpg

I am not suggesting that this is the way it should be done. It is just the way I have been doing it for years and it has never let me down. I believe if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Cheers,

Mike

Back